VOGONS

First post, by Arkdoodle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all. Like a lot of us, I would rather store and play as many of my games as possible on my retro pc's hard drive (it's actually just an sd card) to preserve discs and cd drives. So I began backing up my physical discs and, following this video from philscomputerlab: https://youtu.be/gvJuPWutxhc tried to make a Shadow Warrior installation CD.

Well, I succeeded. I used the GAME.GOG and GAME.DAT as he said to create a working CD, complete with CD audio (I had to make it a mixed mode CD with Infrarecorder. Tested it in my machine and it was great.

Trying to make a proper disc image of this game has proven difficult. I can make a bin and cue out of the disc, but when loaded into Daemon tools in the Windows 98 machine, only the game loads, and not that awesome Shadow Warrior soundtrack. I have tried reinstalling from the new image, checking to make sure the virtual CD volume was on, making sure the audio tracks were proper wav files, and so many other things that I really can't remember it all.

Does anyone have a clue what is going on here? I'm feel sure it has something to do with getting Daemon tools to load the audio, because I popped in my CD-RW of the game with Windows 98 defaulting to the virtual D: drive, but when it didn't detect the music, it swapped to the physical disc in E:!

Is it even possible to get a disc image to act as a mixed mode cd?

Machine specs:
Pentium MMX @ 200Mhz
S3 Virge GX
128Mb RAM
MS5156 MOBO
Creative AudioPCI 64v

Reply 1 of 10, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you connect the cd audio cable from daemontools to your soundcard? Just kidding.

It won't work with vxd drivers. And wdm drivers suck. In fact, even cd spdif requires wdm drivers. I just suck it up and burn physical cds and use the analogue cd connector to the sound card.

Reply 2 of 10, by BenWit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Disregard the above post, you don't need WDM drivers for Daemon Tools (I never got the WDM drivers to work with the "digital audio" solution in DT under Win9x anyway). There's an "analog audio" mode in Daemon Tools that can be enabled by right clicking the tray icon > settings > analog audio.

If that doesn't do the trick, I am curious about the format and files of the CD image you are using with DT? I almost always use a .cue file that's linked to a single .bin image for these types of mixed mode CDs. Are there separate .bin files for each track, or are the audio tracks represented as individual audio files?

Reply 3 of 10, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That topic bothers me for years. Especially the spin-up from the fast 20x+ drivers are very annoying.

Redbook Audio is standardized, but the implementation in games seems to be not.
I have several cd-images that play redbook-audio just fine when mounted via deamon-tools.

In other games redbook-audio is playing fine but only if you go back to the desktop while running the game.
Switching back to the game redbook-audio is muted again...strange...very strange.

btw. regardless of having wdm-drivers installed, or using win98 or win95b....the games behave the same,
so it's defenetly something different than "deactivating digital-audio in deamon-tools and only using analog audio"
or using win98 and wdm-drivers.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 4 of 10, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For actual discs see if redump's guide works: http://wiki.redump.org/index.php?title= ... uide_(MPF)

I don't have actual old hardware, but in PCem the analog option needs to be checked in daemon tools to hear the audio tracks.

EDIT: Ok, you have the discs but are trying to make an image from the GOG release. Why not try dumping the actual disc.

Last edited by eddman on 2022-09-02, 14:58. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 6 of 10, by Rocket202

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote on 2022-09-02, 14:36:

It's not a "dumping-problem" it's an "execution-problem".

I spent a whole afternoon with this to run Tomb Raider 2 OST while playing and nothing worked.

I ended grabbing my copy from steam and it runs well.

With WDM driver now half life is playing the tracks while playing but in this case OST is not working, i dont know if this will happen with another games.

TB2 from what i have read it causes the same problem with XP and i saw some patches for XP only, looking for info i found this tb2 fix:

https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=139425

Is a specific patch for this game that unite all tracks in to a single mp3 file, and another file cdaudio.dat to set the track timmings to play in the game.

The surprise came when i was looking the steam game structure and i found this:

tb2.png

Looking to this I guess steam is using the same fix to run the tracks.

I could not download the fix from that website because it gives me an error when i try to download the files, i dont know if this can be done with all games and neither if the audio quality suffer in the process.

The mp3 file from steam is 128kbps file, here is another 320kbps file:

https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=217293

The steam one doesnt sound bad to me.

leaving this aside, im going to get another cd rom drive, because if i have to mess with games to fix the audio i prefer to burn cds and thats all, i bought a verbatim 50 cd pack for 0.30 euro cents each cd, wich is a great price.

Reply 7 of 10, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The "problem" with these fixes is that all/most games with red-book-audio/mp3/wav/etc. fix require winxp/7 etc. for a game that came out for win95 and I want to play them within win95 on a retro-pc.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 8 of 10, by Rocket202

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote on 2022-09-12, 17:23:

The "problem" with these fixes is that all/most games with red-book-audio/mp3/wav/etc. fix require winxp/7 etc. for a game that came out for win95 and I want to play them within win95 on a retro-pc.

EDIT: yes, youre right, i didnt read correctly your message.

Reply 9 of 10, by chuky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tomb Raider 2 is wierd, some people don't have music with later versions, even with fixes. There are earlier official exes or patches for Tomb Raider 2 that usually don't have this issue, for me only the later patches have the music issue. Here's the patch 1 where music works for me and it doesn't have the ceiling bug that the Steam version has https://web.archive.org/web/19980709183417/ht … om:80/tomb2.zip
I wish Gog would provide original cd versions in the downloads section along with fixed versions, or at leat provide an installer that works on old computers. In games I have Game.dat and Game.gog are not the same as the original cd.

Reply 10 of 10, by darkenedroom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can't speak specifically to Win98 but I had similar issues trying to play CD audio from my games disks ripped to BIN/CUE on Win10 which I've recently managed to solve.

In my limited experience it seems the BIN/CUE has to be on the first CD drive in order to get the cd audio to play. In Win10 you can use disk management to assign a later drive letter to a physical cd allowing software like daemon tools to mount the BIN/CUE as the first CD drive.

It's been a while since I've used win98 so not sure how you would change the first physical CD drive letter allowing the BIN/CUE to have the first CD drive letter?