VOGONS

First post, by Rocket202

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys.

I have an awe64 value, testing the sound setup of Duke Nukem 3D using the awe32 mode it has a very weird "clicking/poping/crack" sounds.

initially i though my sound card was bad (i saw another similar cases in games) but today i found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyAlijrKb6U&t=928s

Minute 13:13 that guy is testing duke3d with the awe64 and sounds exactly like mine, the sound blaster normal version doesnt sound like that.

The game on one level sounds that pop/cracks.

So in some cases this sound card has this behaviour?, in my case i found "cracks" or pops in very few cases, for example in half life in one point with a fast camera movement switching one sound from left to the right side of the headphone it sounds like that, a crack/pop noise, but other games are working perfect, for example i have tested Doom right now and it works flawlessly.

I want to hear your feedback and experience because this sound card has a lot of popularity and I thought it would work well in all cases with very good audio quality, thanks!

Reply 1 of 8, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My hearing is not perfect but, I'm not hearing any cracking on the video you sent. I also have an AWE64 value and don't have any cracking sounds in Duke 3D either (at least none that I could identify). The only issue I have with this card is that sometimes if I open a game which uses the AWE32 after closing another which also used the AWE32, the sound becomes a garbled mess. I need either to restart, or just run AWEUTIL again to fix it.
If my hearing is not the issue, may it be something related to your speakers/headphones? Is the one you use with the AWE64 the same you use with the computer you used to watch the video?

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 2 of 8, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gaffa2002 wrote on 2022-09-09, 12:01:

My hearing is not perfect but, I'm not hearing any cracking on the video you sent.

No he's right, it's there and pretty obvious. Maybe the words used made you look for different sounds, it sounds more like clipping to me although it's not during the loudest parts so it probably isn't. To help you hear it it's the sounds you'd expect if someone was twisting a jack into the socket.

Last edited by konc on 2022-09-09, 12:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 8, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have noticed this as well with the Duke3D intro song (Grabbag) on my AWE64, but not with any other tracks.

Here are a few songs that I recorded via SPDIF out, including Stalker (first level track in Duke3D) and that one sounds pretty good to my ears.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 4 of 8, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh, ok. I listened to the Duke 3D AWE32 intro song from another youtube video (a good one) and now I hear the difference, sounds a bit off indeed. Thought there were loud cracks or something like that...
This kind of issue also happens on my AWE64, difference is that for me it sounds even worse and apparently is triggered after I run certain games that use the AWE32 before running another, or when I run certain setup programs (like Duke 3d) and attempt to run a sound test after setting up the sound card (my guess is that the setup programs messes something up while initializing the card).
For example if I run Doom in AWE32 mode then open Duke3D, the music may sound VERY off (with missing instruments even), and it gets even worse if I run Duke 3D in AWE32 mode and then Doom... Doom starts and the audio becomes some loud, horrible static sound and you have to quickly close the game before your ears start to bleed.
To fix that, I need to either reboot or run AWEUTIL again to re-initialize the sound card before running each game (even created a batch file for that). Note that the problem happens only with games using AWE32 for the music, games using Sound Blaster FM are not affected by this.

Just noticed the person in the video did exactly the same steps to reproduce the problem 😁.. So Rocket202, have you tried:
1-Run Duke 3D setup program
2-Select AWE32 for music
3-Save and Exit
4-Reboot (or try running AWEUTIL /S)
5-Open Duke 3D Setup program again and test the music (without changing anything prior to that) OR run the game itself and check if it sounds right.

PS: In the video, he/she ran Descent in AWE32 mode and Doom ran ok afterwards, so might it be something specific between Doom and Duke 3D?

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
256Mb PC100 RAM
32GB HDD

Reply 5 of 8, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't remember all the details, but I do recall music on the AWE64 (both FM and AWE modes) being frequently messed up after various games. I guess some of them just don't leave the card in a consistent state / don't initialize it properly. Usually, running AWEUTIL /S between games is enough to "reset" it.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 6 of 8, by Rocket202

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My hearing is not perfect but, I'm not hearing any cracking on the video you sent. I also have an AWE64 value and don't have any cracking sounds in Duke 3D either (at least none that I could identify). The only issue I have with this card is that sometimes if I open a game which uses the AWE32 after closing another which also used the AWE32, the sound becomes a garbled mess. I need either to restart, or just run AWEUTIL again to fix it.
If my hearing is not the issue, may it be something related to your speakers/headphones? Is the one you use with the AWE64 the same you use with the computer you used to watch the video?

sorry for my late answer.

Youre right i forget to say how i tested it, i listen that video from youtube in another computer with same headphones, what im using now is a very cheap in ear headphones.

From what i have tested, raising the treble in the mixer make a lot worse that sound, more loud, but now im on a new clean OS installation after change all the capacitors in the motherboard, the sound quality is better, i dont have the drivers right know installed so i need to check this point again after install the driver.

konc wrote on 2022-09-09, 12:23:

My hearing is not perfect but, I'm not hearing any cracking on the video you sent.

No he's right, it's there and pretty obvious. Maybe the words used made you look for different sounds, it sounds more like clipping to me although it's not during the loudest parts so it probably isn't. To help you hear it it's the sounds you'd expect if someone was twisting a jack into the socket.

I hear it like a "click", very weird sound, probably your reference to move the jack while is plugged in is similar.

Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2022-09-09, 12:28:

I have noticed this as well with the Duke3D intro song (Grabbag) on my AWE64, but not with any other tracks.

Here are a few songs that I recorded via SPDIF out, including Stalker (first level track in Duke3D) and that one sounds pretty good to my ears.

I was listening your first track enjoying but i have to say, i was writing a good comment but almost at the end has a click noise.

First is exactly at 1:48 (is a very low sound) and the next one is at 1:51 and this is more noticeable (not very loud anyway, i just mean, is more noticeable compared to the previous one), after listen the second one at 1:51 go back to 1:48 and you will see the click there too.
The quality record is very good I don't want to say that everything is bad because is not the case, the quality is good and very probably that click is not your fault.

I think is the 2nd/3rd level, the level where are 2 jails with pigs and one "rounded" platform with a hologram head & machine gun, in that platform the click noise in my case is very noticeable.

gaffa2002 wrote on 2022-09-09, 15:37:
Oh, ok. I listened to the Duke 3D AWE32 intro song from another youtube video (a good one) and now I hear the difference, sounds […]
Show full quote

Oh, ok. I listened to the Duke 3D AWE32 intro song from another youtube video (a good one) and now I hear the difference, sounds a bit off indeed. Thought there were loud cracks or something like that...
This kind of issue also happens on my AWE64, difference is that for me it sounds even worse and apparently is triggered after I run certain games that use the AWE32 before running another, or when I run certain setup programs (like Duke 3d) and attempt to run a sound test after setting up the sound card (my guess is that the setup programs messes something up while initializing the card).
For example if I run Doom in AWE32 mode then open Duke3D, the music may sound VERY off (with missing instruments even), and it gets even worse if I run Duke 3D in AWE32 mode and then Doom... Doom starts and the audio becomes some loud, horrible static sound and you have to quickly close the game before your ears start to bleed.
To fix that, I need to either reboot or run AWEUTIL again to re-initialize the sound card before running each game (even created a batch file for that). Note that the problem happens only with games using AWE32 for the music, games using Sound Blaster FM are not affected by this.

Just noticed the person in the video did exactly the same steps to reproduce the problem 😁.. So Rocket202, have you tried:
1-Run Duke 3D setup program
2-Select AWE32 for music
3-Save and Exit
4-Reboot (or try running AWEUTIL /S)
5-Open Duke 3D Setup program again and test the music (without changing anything prior to that) OR run the game itself and check if it sounds right.

PS: In the video, he/she ran Descent in AWE32 mode and Doom ran ok afterwards, so might it be something specific between Doom and Duke 3D?

Im going to test what you said and give back my feedback, i have this PC recently so i dint try to switch games like you, in my case is very noticeable (is an horrible sound 🤣), i spent a lot of hours testing because i though was my card faulty until i saw that video.by the way, wich model do you have?, i have the value 4520.

From what i have seen, the only thing made that sound to be less noticeable but not fined is lower the treble in the mixer.

Im going to try joining the game directly because i havent, normally i have been testing the setup and doing changes to the bios etc to see if something worked.

Anyway, if we are here people with the awe64 and observing the same thing I think we should not worry.

Now in general to explain what im doing:

-Im using the line out because the headphone line out has a lot of noise.
-Im using an external amp "jds labs atom" to aplify the signal, "maybe" this is related to people not listening that sound?, in my case the line out without amplifying the signal the volume is very low, if the same happens to other people maybe this is related for not having identified this sound before.
Here is another point, im using gain with the amp, this makes any sound that is on a track to be very loud/audible., anyway i have tested it right now to give precise data and without the gain raising the volume is very noticeable.
-Rise the treble has an effect with this sound, is more noticeable increasing this volume (at least before, because now i have better sound after recap the motherboard and i dont have the drivers installed right now)
- my card is an awe64 value 4520.
-Im curious to know, this happens with another card that reproduces this same audio quality? (now a lower one like the normal sound blaster).

Cheers guys! and thanks for your answers 😀

Reply 7 of 8, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey,
Mine is a value CT4500. You might not have ran any games prior to Duke 3D, but just by running the Setup program and selecting a sound card may trigger the issue. Basically anything initializing/using the sound card may leave it in a state which may cause issues depending on how the program handles it.
If you want, you can try running Duke 3D in AWE32 mode and run Doom (AWE 32 mode as well) afterwards, just to see if you can reproduce the horrid results I have (cover your ears, though) 😁.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
256Mb PC100 RAM
32GB HDD

Reply 8 of 8, by Rocket202

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gaffa2002 wrote on 2022-09-09, 17:07:

Hey,
Mine is a value CT4500. You might not have ran any games prior to Duke 3D, but just by running the Setup program and selecting a sound card may trigger the issue. Basically anything initializing/using the sound card may leave it in a state which may cause issues depending on how the program handles it.
If you want, you can try running Duke 3D in AWE32 mode and run Doom (AWE 32 mode as well) afterwards, just to see if you can reproduce the horrid results I have (cover your ears, though) 😁.

I have tested it right now in ms-dos, just using aweutil /s and running the game directly without joining the setup and the problem persist.

i'll test what you say with doom & duke 3d

Cheers!

EDIT: tested right now raising the treble and is a lot more worse, this is a party "bug" sound.
EDIT2: yes, i have tested duke3d and then doom and what a horrible thing, and yes, until use aweutil /s the sound is not solved