VOGONS

First post, by Bohemond1099

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Really stumped; Jedi Outcast runs fine in 32x32 (clor/textures) on my Asus CLUS2 PIII 1Ghz W98SE system, but on my P4 2.53Ghz system, in both Windows 98SE and W2K OSs; the game runs great @16x16 , but @32x32 turns into a 1-3FPS slideshow. Has anyone got a clue on what would cause this? More demanding games like Max Payne run fine. Both systems tested with Voodoo 5 5500 PCI.

Last edited by Bohemond1099 on 2022-09-14, 04:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Intel Extreme Graphics was never very good. This was the common experience with most low-end P4 OEM machines from ~2002. Adding a small low-profile video card should do wonders.

Max Payne wasn't more demanding - Jedi Outcast had a load of 512/1024 textures that'll easily fill 128MB cards uncompressed, plus a higher general polycount on characters (including all fingers modeled and boned, and eyes/teeth/tongues modeled). It will thrash some period hardware, not much unlike what Morrowind and UT2003 would do later that same year.

(i'd personally keep it as-is, as a budget P4 OEM gaming experience is something to keep around, back when marchitecture prioritized over capability)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 10, by Bohemond1099

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2022-09-14, 03:49:

Intel Extreme Graphics was never very good. This was the common experience with most low-end P4 OEM machines from ~2002. Adding a small low-profile video card should do wonders.

Max Payne wasn't more demanding - Jedi Outcast had a load of 512/1024 textures that'll easily fill 128MB cards uncompressed, plus a higher general polycount on characters (including all fingers modeled and boned, and eyes/teeth/tongues modeled). It will thrash some period hardware, not much unlike what Morrowind and UT2003 would do later that same year.

(i'd personally keep it as-is, as a budget P4 OEM gaming experience is something to keep around, back when marchitecture prioritized over capability)

Sorry, forgot to say; both systems have 3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 PCI.

Reply 4 of 10, by Bohemond1099

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RockstarRunner wrote on 2022-09-14, 06:37:

I guess he's still answered your question though, a standard V5 has 2x32MB, so you're going to run in to the texture memory limit mentioned.

except it runs fine at those settings on my PIII system; which is why I suspect something else.

Reply 6 of 10, by Bohemond1099

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote on 2022-09-15, 09:53:

Please check the settings on "options2" there is one option that causes this. It's also on mac.

You are the man; it was volumetric shadows under advanced that was killing my fps.

Reply 7 of 10, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

no problem...should have been "volumetric lightning" or perhaps I remember that wrong...regardless if it works for you!
On mac it's also a problem, perhaps this was an exclusive feature to a specific card or driver and if not available it's perhaps stealing cpu-time/cycles.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 8 of 10, by Bohemond1099

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote on 2022-09-16, 15:52:

no problem...should have been "volumetric lightning" or perhaps I remember that wrong...regardless if it works for you!
On mac it's also a problem, perhaps this was an exclusive feature to a specific card or driver and if not available it's perhaps stealing cpu-time/cycles.

Well whatever it is, it's volumetric 🤣. Now I need to investigate a similar issue going on with Tom Glancy's Ghost Recon.

Reply 9 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, it's not truly volumetric... it's an ancient naive method from Q3 that tries to project a stencil shadow based on a local lightgrid vector and it looks *very wrong*. Not sure why that option needed to be exposed in menus but it does rely on a stencil buffer.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 10, by Bohemond1099

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2022-09-16, 23:35:

Well, it's not truly volumetric... it's an ancient naive method from Q3 that tries to project a stencil shadow based on a local lightgrid vector and it looks *very wrong*. Not sure why that option needed to be exposed in menus but it does rely on a stencil buffer.

Interesting; thanks for explaining.