VOGONS

First post, by psychofox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just recived Asus p5A-B motherboard for my new ultimate DOS gamer.
IMHO one of the best SS7 boards
s-l640.jpg

It has K6-2 266 already installed, i think i should probably change it to Pentium MMX 200 ?

And the main question - i have couple of choices for graphics card, which one would you choose?

I am thinking to use Voodoo Banshee but i have no idea how it performs in pure DOS and older dos games compatiblity?

But also have Voodoo I 4mb which i could pair with one of these:

SIS 6326 AGP
ASUS S3/virge GX2 PCI (it would match perfectly with mobo 😀 )
Powercolor S3 virge/GX2 AGP
S3 virge /DX (unknown manufacturer)

Reply 1 of 9, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Banshee is probably overkill for a 200MHz DOS system, but its got a kick ass and highly compatible 2d engine on it too. I say go with the Banshee, I have one in my P-133.

Reply 2 of 9, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you're primarily focusing on DOS gaming, the Virge + Voodoo1 combo will provide you with the best overall compatibility.

See here: http://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 9, by psychofox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2022-09-27, 17:07:

If you're primarily focusing on DOS gaming, the Virge + Voodoo1 combo will provide you with the best overall compatibility.

Tried that combo. Powercolor Virge/gx2 has very nice and sharp picture. But combined with voodoo, image quality is way below average, i dont know if it is faulty voodoo or loop cable? Anyway, what i lose on DOS gaming, if i use Banshee?

Reply 5 of 9, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
psychofox wrote on 2022-09-28, 05:19:
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2022-09-27, 17:07:

Tried that combo. Powercolor Virge/gx2 has very nice and sharp picture. But combined with voodoo, image quality is way below average, i dont know if it is faulty voodoo or loop cable? Anyway, what i lose on DOS gaming, if i use Banshee?

I think you lose the ability to play Pinball Fantasies.

Reply 6 of 9, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The image degradation is the consequence of using a pass through cable. I get around it by connecting the S3 card directly to the monitor while playing 2D games, and only hooking up the Voodoo1 + pass through cable if I'm playing 3D games. Kinda tedious, but I mostly play 2D stuff on my the DOS system so I don't change this very often.

As others have said, the Banshee is a very nice card as well. So if you want an all in one solution, it's a good alternative. The Voodoo1 might be slightly more compatible with some early DOS Glide games, but you can probably work around that. See here: Voodoo 2 DOS Glide compatibility matrix

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155

Reply 7 of 9, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2022-09-28, 07:34:

The image degradation is the consequence of using a pass through cable. I get around it by connecting the S3 card directly to the monitor while playing 2D games, and only hooking up the Voodoo1 + pass through cable if I'm playing 3D games. Kinda tedious, but I mostly play 2D stuff on my the DOS system so I don't change this very often.

As others have said, the Banshee is a very nice card as well. So if you want an all in one solution, it's a good alternative. The Voodoo1 might be slightly more compatible with some early DOS Glide games, but you can probably work around that. See here: Voodoo 2 DOS Glide compatibility matrix

The Banshee should in theory be more compatible with Voodoo1 games due to how similar the two are aside from the Banshee being a cut down Voodoo2.

Reply 8 of 9, by psychofox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2022-09-28, 07:34:

I personally like S3+ V1 combo more too, it is more period correct and looks way cooler 😀 so i keep it like that for now. Maybe i should find an kvm switch for easy swap between S3 and Voodoo?

Reply 9 of 9, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
psychofox wrote on 2022-09-29, 08:13:

I personally like S3+ V1 combo more too, it is more period correct and looks way cooler 😀 so i keep it like that for now. Maybe i should find an kvm switch for easy swap between S3 and Voodoo?

Yes, using a KVM switch is a known good way to avoid the image quality issues which arise when using a pass through cable.