VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 240 of 262, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2022-08-30, 16:44:

I was so disappointed with SGU because they tried to make it into something for "modern audiences". And I shudder at how bad a new Stargate show would be if it was made in this day and age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd23slMhWQU

Reply 242 of 262, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-08-30, 17:50:

I was so disappointed with SGU because they tried to make it into something for "modern audiences". And I shudder at how bad a new Stargate show would be if it was made in this day and age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd23slMhWQU

Yeah well the original show runners made a script that respected the existing timeline and continued forward, Amazon did not like it and wanted something new and different.

Oddly Amazon is actually Euro focused wanted content that appeals to that regions sensibilities

Ah well

Reply 243 of 262, by CwF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SG1 and SGA are such great shows. Probably my favorite TV shows of all time,

For sure. As a stand alone episode I've come to love SGA's Vegas. In sequence it was disappointing, but aged well. The episode has lots of references that help if you know, but complete if you don't.

SGU simply sucked, every moment extending into an uncomfortable 'get on with it'.

I went without tv for a few decades and now in civilization built a octa tuner debian machine with a huge antenna and get 92 channels, 25 great ones, better than than cable of yesteryear. With no streaming, cable, satellite bills I can build a new box or add another drive every few months...

With so many old series that I originally missed being rebroadcast I'm not bothered by the reality that reality tv sucks. Very few new shows are worth watching except news maybe. I like to cue up the old series completely and then binge them over a week or two. I think I get more out of it that way, engrossed. Old movies just keep coming. It's almost a cultural study from the patterns that emerge, era common sociology. Like advertising time. An hour show in the 50's and 60's might be 55 minutes. It hit a low of 38 minutes in the 80's. Later on with the dawn of cable only networks we see variations.

Today HD rebroadcast are higher quality than DVD's. The well done SD channels are as good. h.265 makes them tiny. There all free over the air now! Eventually I'll catch up!

I used to know what I was doing...

Reply 245 of 262, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CwF wrote on 2022-08-31, 21:16:

I went without tv for a few decades and now in civilization built a octa tuner debian machine with a huge antenna and get 92 channels, 25 great ones, better than than cable of yesteryear. With no streaming, cable, satellite bills I can build a new box or add another drive every few months...

With so many old series that I originally missed being rebroadcast I'm not bothered by the reality that reality tv sucks. Very few new shows are worth watching except news maybe. I like to cue up the old series completely and then binge them over a week or two. I think I get more out of it that way, engrossed. Old movies just keep coming. It's almost a cultural study from the patterns that emerge, era common sociology. Like advertising time. An hour show in the 50's and 60's might be 55 minutes. It hit a low of 38 minutes in the 80's. Later on with the dawn of cable only networks we see variations.

Today HD rebroadcast are higher quality than DVD's. The well done SD channels are as good. h.265 makes them tiny. There all free over the air now! Eventually I'll catch up!

I gotta work on my Tuner/server setup again, I keep getting "almost there" and repurposing hardware, or having new stuff come in that requires a replan, or having software stop being supported (Well really web services that the software needed) ... that and I keep trying to get a quad tuner card for cheap/reasonable and getting thwarted. We did a family christmas pool bit like a secret santa a few years back, to stop us 12-16 adults just buying $10 junk for each other. So everyone got something they wanted that was half decent. Supposed to give ideas to whoever got you. So sent the dude like 3 different links to quad TV tuners for PC, and bolded and underlined "Not a normal TV converter box" and what did I get, yeah "The dude at the store said this would be what you meant ." a normal TV convertor box. "Thanks very much! *fake grin*" ... then a load of just missing them and no response on classified, and an amazon order where they said 3 in stock that turned into zero 2 days after I ordered and got refunded. But I got two Hauppage PCIe ATSC, one USB ATSC, several converter boxes and several oldskool NTSC PCI tuners. So gonna be trying to cram as much of that as possible in one box. Think I'm gonna be trying to tie it all together with plex. Could get 3 or 4 users trying to stream at once, not sure if that's too much to expect from one box to do at the same time as not missing recordings on two tuners simultaneously. Wondering if it's possible to de-prioritise "general snarfing" i.e. "grab all episodes you can get of X whatever channel/time" vs programmed single event recording.

At this moment, looks like rig will be two Hauppage and two analog set to charge or replayTV or something SD with a lot of classic stuff through boxes, Core2 Quad at 3ghz, 8MB DDR3 Q45 motherboard, 128GB SSD boot and working area, 2x3GB seagate mass storage. Might have some variance in GPU, will see if decoders in HD6450 are still supported, or might use GT610 or if needed the K620.

Edit: Hah, might manage a little more DDR3 than 8MB, 8GB perhaps.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 246 of 262, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Star Trek: Lower Decks.

They finally did an homage episode to DS9 and it was wonderful.
It's funny that LD is one of the best Star Trek shows out there, as it was just meant to be a cartoon for a younger audience.

But I guess everyone can do better than Discovery 😁

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 247 of 262, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
schmatzler wrote on 2022-09-30, 20:58:

It's funny that LD is one of the best Star Trek shows out there, as it was just meant to be a cartoon for a younger audience.

Cool. There's also TAS, you know.. It's a short show, but still interesting.

Here are two episodes from TNG and Voyager converted to TAS style.
It's a homage, though, rather than trying to be a full episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyz2pVqrEkI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luEDui2zAUw

Do you watch it on monday evening, on Tele5, too ? 😁
I'm still torturing myself here and keep watching, for the sake of fairness. So I can rightfully complain. 😁

Speaking of.. Story wise, we're at that moment in which Discovery flees into the future.
To escape Control, that SkyNet wannabe. It's the end of a season, not sure which one exactly, however. 🤷‍♂️

Edit: Typos fixed.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 248 of 262, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Star Trek: Lower Decks. […]
Show full quote

I watched series 1 and 2. But halfway 2nd I started to watch recaps at 1.75x speed.
Has become boring as hell for me. They also gave an image of Spok that I find absurd, IMHO obviously.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 249 of 262, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thought that was sorta the point though.. we "know" the original characters through the well lit, sympathatically edited, heroic "lens" of the show focussing on them. When we go below decks we get their "lens". ... Though I haven't seen enough of Lower Decks yet to know specifically what you're saying.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 251 of 262, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nexxen wrote on 2022-09-30, 22:04:

I was talking about Discovery, my bad.

Yeah, the young, bearded hipster Spock was strange somehow. 😕
Oh, I forgot - by the end of the episode I mentioned, he shaved his beard (spoiler alert).

That's when the transition between STD and Strange New Worlds was/is supposed to happen?

Michaela says goodbye, travels into the future. Spock becomes science officer aboard the Enterprise, under Pike's command.

Because, that's what essentially she tolds him to do, it's her last wish (seek contact with people that are contradictory, ie. the crazy ones). 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 252 of 262, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-09-30, 21:53:

Thought that was sorta the point though.. we "know" the original characters through the well lit, sympathatically edited, heroic "lens" of the show focussing on them. When we go below decks we get their "lens".

I loved the Riker rendition of "Lower Decks" where he's just a totally overdone badass guy, always going head-first into trouble.
When Boimler was with Riker he was just terrified all of the time and that was hilarious. 😁

My favorite LD character is T'Ana, just because they sneak in cat jokes left and right if you carefully look at the scenes - for example, her drinking out of a glass like a cat in the last episode.

They also gave an image of Spok that I find absurd, IMHO obviously.

Discovery strayed off the path a bit too much for me. It's a lot of talkative drama, like I'm in an episode of Suits. Spock looks like a hipster and the Klingons are just a joke. They don't look like badass warriors, instead they made them whiney b*tches that complain all the time. It's truly one of the worst shows of the franchise now, although it started pretty promising.

I quite like Strange New Worlds, just because they do Star Trek and just that. It's a formula that worked for decades, but they're not really doing anything new.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 253 of 262, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nexxen wrote on 2022-09-30, 16:36:

Twin Peaks
Yes, I know who killed Laura Palmer.

I adore season 1. Season 2 starts off OK but quickly starts to disappear up it's own arsehole, and the series never reappeared.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 254 of 262, by CwF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-09-30, 17:57:

Edit: Hah, might manage a little more DDR3 than 8MB, 8GB perhaps.

It actually doesn't take much CPU or GPU to pull it off. I have used a Q35 4GB Q6600, the more, then more...

Now I use dual Hauppage quad tuners, Debian xfce gnutv on a dual E5 's and lots of ram. I use 60GB tmpfs (yes 'G' and yes ram) to spool to, avidemux to edit, and handbrake to pinch them with h265 and tags onto a drive. Watching a few while recording a few while compressing one at a time is easily possible. Without any compressing the cpus barely come off idle, while the system may have 4-5 VM's going and a few ad hoc ones in ram! Really the tuners are very light. Absence of resource contention makes it all cake. Best of all, current uptime is 14+ months.

Depending on how the series is being scheduled, one a week up to binges, it takes a few months to gather up a whole series. Interesting is some particular episodes are never rebroadcast...thinking 'Twilight Zone'. Some stations really don't plan and never get the whole batch out there, or fail to go in sequence. But a review every so often, a very long cron file to schedule things, and some patience it gets done. Ad hoc tuning is through a panel genmon that hover displays tuner status and click spawn a gxmessage dialog to choose and launch terminal tabs for gnutv and mpv. All very slick if I say so myself!

Still physically in the machine is an XP VM with a K600 GPu and Kworld USB tuner. I don't really use it much, but it's there and works.

I used to know what I was doing...

Reply 255 of 262, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nope. Lower Decks is aimed at adults.
The animated series for kids is called Prodigy.

Reply 256 of 262, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote on 2022-10-01, 02:50:
Nexxen wrote on 2022-09-30, 16:36:

Twin Peaks
Yes, I know who killed Laura Palmer.

I adore season 1. Season 2 starts off OK but quickly starts to disappear up it's own arsehole, and the series never reappeared.

Season 3 was way too cryptic for me.
Yes, season 2 lost itself midway. Back when new episodes were aired, I wasn't understanding the James arc.

I loved Washington state though. Maybe I'll go to some TP event and take a pic of the falls 😀

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 257 of 262, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IT crowd (again), 'Allo allo (again), Fate: the winx saga (Netflix)

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 258 of 262, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mainly Block Buster movies at home.
I have always tried to have a good home theater setup since the 1990’s
With BIG screen TV and Surround sound audio.

So I mainly watch DVD and Blu-ray movies.
But I am more of an audio geek so I Prefer movies with great audio ( THX, DTS, Dolby Digital )

My subwoofers will give you nightmares they thump so hard.
Its like Dropping an 500 ton wreaking ball right in front of you.
Will give you a nervous break down not knowing what sounds are going to come out of the speakers
And frighten you.

I don’t really have an expensive setup.
I have an old A/V Receiver and a bunch of cheap bookshelf speakers as Satellite surround speakers.
And (2) 12-inch Subwoofers. But I am in a small room too so I don’t need much to make the room SHAKE and RUMBLE.
The Flood is a Wood Sub Floor so when the Subwoofer Rumble the Whole Room SHAKES.
The Bookshelf speakers sound pretty good for what I paid for them.
5.2.2 Speaker setup.a

Its More than enough Sound to fill the room and make it SHAKE and RUMBLE.

When I watch TV I turn off the Surround sound system and turn on a Klipsch sound bar 2.1 for easy listening that will not wake up the entire house.

Reply 259 of 262, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We have a mediocre second hand Sony 100 Watt RMS subwoofer in the living room, more than happy with it. I think it's neighbor friendly as well.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856