VOGONS

First post, by Zaxxon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello guys, one question: how do you properly install sound blaster 16 in dos under win 98? Win 98 has no issues with it as it's recognized automatically and works with all games, but some games needs to be set as dos exclusive mode only, and when i do that, despite including extra option such as the sb16 a220 etc, some games justy won't recognize the card. Rebooting pc in pure dos i discovered that is like if the card is not installed at all. Any help?

Reply 1 of 10, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Depends on if it's an SB16 PnP or jumper-based card.

Jumper-based is the easiest; you just set the jumpers to the settings you want and just make sure the SET BLASTER line is included in your AUTOEXEC.BAT.

With PnP (and the AWE64 cards) you have to initialize the card using a utility.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 2 of 10, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Boot into MS-DOS mode and then run the DOS/Win 3.11 setup but, just skip the Windows 3.11 setup part.

It also depends what model number you have as later models were Plug 'n Play.

Reply 3 of 10, by Zaxxon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote on 2022-10-03, 18:44:

Depends on if it's an SB16 PnP or jumper-based card.

Jumper-based is the easiest; you just set the jumpers to the settings you want and just make sure the SET BLASTER line is included in your AUTOEXEC.BAT.

With PnP (and the AWE64 cards) you have to initialize the card using a utility.

it's pnp, no jumpers. Do you know where i can find such utility?

Reply 4 of 10, by Zaxxon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jesolo wrote on 2022-10-03, 18:46:

Boot into MS-DOS mode and then run the DOS/Win 3.11 setup but, just skip the Windows 3.11 setup part.

It's pnp, no jumpers.

when you say "run the DOS/Win 3.11 setup", you mean the setup for installing win 3,1 or the drivers for win 3.1/dos?

Because I installed win 98 straight from cd-rom, so it never installed DOS or win 3.1 beforehand

Reply 6 of 10, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Zaxxon wrote on 2022-10-03, 18:49:
It's pnp, no jumpers. […]
Show full quote

It's pnp, no jumpers.

when you say "run the DOS/Win 3.11 setup", you mean the setup for installing win 3,1 or the drivers for win 3.1/dos?

Because I installed win 98 straight from cd-rom, so it never installed DOS or win 3.1 beforehand

Correct. However, be sure to first boot into MS-DOS mode. You can also setup a boot menu to either boot directly into DOS 7.1 or Windows 98.

Since your card is PnP, you normally also require a PnP configuration manager but, under Windows 9x, that part should be taken care of via Windows 98 - it normally reads the configuration of the card from a config file in the Windows folder (ctpnp.cfg) that is configured via Windows.

You still need to install CTCM (the Creative PnP configuration manager) to initialise the card under DOS. This is normally installed when you install the Windows drivers - as I recall, there is an option to install DOS drivers as well but, it's been a while since I played around with my Sound Blaster hardware.

Reply 7 of 10, by Zaxxon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jesolo wrote on 2022-10-03, 19:02:
Correct. However, be sure to first boot into MS-DOS mode. You can also setup a boot menu to either boot directly into DOS 7.1 o […]
Show full quote
Zaxxon wrote on 2022-10-03, 18:49:
It's pnp, no jumpers. […]
Show full quote

It's pnp, no jumpers.

Correct. However, be sure to first boot into MS-DOS mode. You can also setup a boot menu to either boot directly into DOS 7.1 or Windows 98.

Since your card is PnP, you normally also require a PnP configuration manager but, under Windows 9x, that part should be taken care of via Windows 98 - it normally reads the configuration of the card from a config file in the Windows folder (ctpnp.cfg) that is configured via Windows.

You still need to install CTCM (the Creative PnP configuration manager) to initialise the card under DOS. This is normally installed when you install the Windows drivers - as I recall, there is an option to install DOS drivers as well but, it's been a while since I played around with my Sound Blaster hardware.

Thanks will search for this app

Reply 8 of 10, by Zaxxon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
KT7AGuy wrote on 2022-10-03, 18:57:

Phil's guide makes all of this super easy:

https://www.philscomputerlab.com/ms-dos-mode-super-easy.html

Sorry i watched the video but i fail to see the part where it explains about sound card

Reply 9 of 10, by digistorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nowadays I use the Unisound utility that was developed by someone on this forum. It is much easier to use in my opinion than the original Creative software.

Reply 10 of 10, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zaxxon wrote on 2022-10-03, 20:15:
KT7AGuy wrote on 2022-10-03, 18:57:

Phil's guide makes all of this super easy:

https://www.philscomputerlab.com/ms-dos-mode-super-easy.html

Sorry i watched the video but i fail to see the part where it explains about sound card

My apologies, you are correct. Try this older version:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160704124711/ht … -tutorials.html

I don't understand why Phil removed this. The info in the archived link was much better.

Edit: This right here is a lesson in why I save web pages to *.maff files and download YouTube videos for archival. Stuff on the intarwebs disappears. Frequently. Without warning. Save it promptly or lose it forever. Fortunately, I still have an archived copy of the "MS-DOS mode Windows 98 tutorial" YouTube video that Phil removed and replaced with his newer version. (The only reason I continue to use the Pale Moon browser is for its support of the MozArchiver/MAFF add-on.)