VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 620 of 1023, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got my Chromebox setup as a NAS box and my Pi is now the HTPC box. I swapped the drives around, formatted the 480GB SSD for the Chromebox, and I got my MB Air 2015 backed up before I installed the 12.6 update. My Ventura beta 2020 Air isn't connecting to the box as it says that there's a "network issue," which there isn't and I can connect to the interface, SSH, etc to it and access the folders I'm sharing.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 622 of 1023, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Plugged in and tested an iPad mini and a MacBook early 2015 and both work.

Reply 624 of 1023, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote on 2022-09-27, 14:58:

I am directly in the path of Hurricane Ian. Rumor has it that it might be getting breezy over the next few days. Winds are projected to go well beyond 100MHz.

Stay safe my friend. Are you under a mandatory evacuation or are you planing on prepping your house and riding the storm out?

Reply 625 of 1023, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-09-27, 15:13:

I am directly in the path of Hurricane Ian. Rumor has it that it might be getting breezy over the next few days. Winds are projected to go well beyond 100MHz.

Stay safe my friend. Are you under a mandatory evacuation or are you planing on prepping your house and riding the storm out?

No, I'm inland, but the track keeps shifting so anything could happen. Luckily, I don't have to worry about flooding.

Reply 626 of 1023, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote on 2022-09-27, 15:30:
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-09-27, 15:13:

No, I'm inland, but the track keeps shifting so anything could happen. Luckily, I don't have to worry about flooding.

That's good to hear. Stay safe and good luck under clocking the winds. 100mhz is just to fast.

Reply 627 of 1023, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So, trying to get my mATX "sleeper" together. (See Bought this Modern Hardware for backstory) Realised I have somewhat shot myself in the foot, yeah I dunno how you do that somewhat, grazed a toe maybe, but leaving sidepanels off cases a lot has bit me in the butt. Can't find the sidepanel for the mATX case, was going to be looking at fitting a 120-150mm or so in it, since it only otherwise has an 80mm extractor hole and the PSU... and you can see it was dragging dust thru the drives with that. So not a needle in a haystack thing, more like a slightly shorter needle in a bunch of other needles as I've got side panels tucked away everywhere, few here, few there. I think I've seen all the stacks in the upper work area though. Beginning to wonder if I first "got into" this rig in the basement or somewhere, and the sidepanel is sitting around somewhere else. I can look at one and narrow it down to a couple of cases though, some are more unique and I can tell straight away. However, en masse, they all look the same. Hope I haven't done something stupid and "packed" it inside another case when I was cleaning up or something.

I guess I can build it open side for now and see where the panel is later. Odd thing, got a silver case and I had it in my head I didn't have both panels for it, and I found two silver panels... now wondering what the hell, does it belong to a two tone black and silver or have I been ignoring that case when I could have put it together.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 628 of 1023, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I finally tested my ddr3 and got my old FX 8350 tidied up into a case. Turns out alot of my ddr3 that was on boards is bad 🙁 extra x58 board is down from 24gb to 12gb in 2gb sticks due to this. X58 XFI board is still haunted and just hates some sticks of ram that tested fine on the 990fx board, along with the weird quirk of needing an old GPU on the secondary pcie slot in order to post and output display to a "newer" GPU.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 629 of 1023, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That sucks... you're maybe trusting a part you shouldn't be, like a PSU... even a keyboard has gone wacky enough on me to cause wild errors.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 630 of 1023, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-10-06, 15:16:

That sucks... you're maybe trusting a part you shouldn't be, like a PSU... even a keyboard has gone wacky enough on me to cause wild errors.

Oh it's a known decade long issue.The board was originally in my friend's work PC and had these issues from day one. EVGA SuperNova, old OCZ psu, doesn't matter. Pins on the board are perfect as well. It also takes an entire 30 seconds to a minute to post. Bios wont take Xeons either 😒

Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 631 of 1023, by AmiSapphire

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Upgraded the NAS from the 3x 2TB separate disk setup (which was originally 4x 2TB in 2015, then 3x 2TB in 2016, then 3x 2TB and 1x 250GB in 2017) running XigmaNAS 13.1 beta to a 4x 4TB RAID5 array setup running OpenMediaVault 6.0 last month, because we were running out of space. Copied the data from the original setup to the new setup so at least I have an extra copy of it just in case. That's right, there was originally no backup for this data at all.

Today, I am copying the remaining data from the other disks to the new setup. That is nearly another 1TB atop the already stored 4.59TB on the new setup.

--

The main home web server (cwcyrix.duckdns.org) in its current state has no backup; last one was in 2017 (!); this was around the time the original NAS was downgraded a disk and the server storage capacity was upgraded from the original 2x 250GB RAID1 array to the single 2TB drive... this also predates the entire FTP Archives (2018) and Intel Legacy Files Archive (2019) directories. So because of that; it is another ~1.3TB, though some data there is redundant - found two packed archives of ftp.aopen.com.tw from early-mid 2020, about two weeks apart... Most FTP archives already have individual backups (those are on another smaller capacity drive), but the Intel files do not. It's a bit of a trainwreck there now, and it's finally getting organized and cleaned up.

So... basically a LOT of maintenance and data handling.

Site update: cwcyrix.duckdns.org -> cwcyrix.nsupdate.info due to the former no longer working.

Reply 632 of 1023, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have about the same problem with the archives I've made over the years. But yours is shared and thank you for doing that, I've come across your site before but I don't think I was aware of that intel file archive and have just used Archive.org to get bios files etc where needed.
Some of mine are only on USB externals since my fileserver filled up and I'm delaying finalising its upgrade.

Today I got annoyed with the limitations of my USB microscope and its steady but limiting stand - it's always in the way and it can only do top down. I'm trying to solder some QFP chips taken off of other boards so the pins are a bit all over the place and I needed to inspect the pins pretty much side-on, which the USB microscrope just doesn't do well for me. My one at least is like that, I think the later ones they improved the stands but I need the camera pretty much at the height of the board rather than a top-down angle.

I bought some ELP USB 3.0 cameras a while ago for a project and they're great colour webcams but didn't work for my 3d scanning project back then. They've been sitting in a box ever since, but today I thought well, why not just make my own microscope? With the little M12 zoom lens I can focus in really close, but holding it by hand it's just too shakey. I put an arm in place for it which has helped but it's still quite shakey while working.

camera2.jpg
Filename
camera2.jpg
File size
1.26 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

It seems that software for webcams has progressed, with Open Broadcaster Software now having the Live Vision Kit plugin that can do software video stabilisation: https://github.com/Crowsinc/LiveVisionKit
That works brilliantly, in full stabilisation it's a bit slow so I can switch the stabilisation modes for different setups and this did work for letting me check all the pins out. Now the boards works so I don't have to do this again hopefully for a long time. I bought the wrong board model and had to swap over loads of parts (CPU, BIOS, GPU, lots of little video circuit bits) to make it work for my laptop.

IMG_3182 (Custom).JPG
Filename
IMG_3182 (Custom).JPG
File size
583.96 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 633 of 1023, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Made a lot of progress on the mATX "sleeper" ... crappy looking eMachine with half decent parts. Was diverted a little by putting together a vacuum cleaning setup. Got going on the build, side panel still not found yet, but screw it, it will turn up. Think it might have got somewhere stupid, like down behind stuff, or flat on the bottom of a box. Used Coolermaster 525W EX2 PSU, put a 120mm at an angle in the front, very few front panel vent holes, I think the side panel has perforations low down, so kinda trying to pull from front and side to get some airflow over RAM and chipset, and feed the GPU (not yet installed) Wired it to the 2nd 4 pin ATX power with a PCIe shell, because board only uses one. (Shhh don't tell Bill Gates) Skinned the external LS-120 I bought the other day and stuck it in the floppy hole. Leaving the default optical in there for now, styled to fit case, see if it's super crappy or not, might be bearable. Board is M4A785-M currently has an X2 260 in it, which it came with, gonna do some testing on that, before slapping an Athlon X4 in. 4 Sticks of Kingston Value went in for now, supposedly goes well with voltage, so might stay in. Slapped a Kingston 128GB SSD and Seagate 500GB in it for now.

Not super sure what I'm gonna use this for, might be an emulation rig, might also do a lot of 2005-2015 GPU testing. Might be a general eff around and find out rig, software wise, so I don't screw up others. Sort of a trainer too, get me back in practice with moderner hardware before I screw up my nicer AM3+ DDR3 board and X6-1090. Might get the 1090 in a while if I decide I really really need SSSE3 and SSE>4.0

I didn't want something too massive for cooling, it would fill the whole case 🤣 Turned up an old TaiSol, that looks about right for the X4, got a minimal sink on for the X2 right now. TaiSol is a 754/939/940 unit, very hard to find info on, but some tests (In Chinese so I hope I read them right) seemed to be showing about 45C at full load on an FX55 which is a 104W chip, so hopefully that means a bit of headroom. Ran some calculations on other random data points and seemed to be getting between 0.22 and 0.25 C/W which is acceptable.

Haven't hit the go button yet, was getting tired tonight, thought I'd give it another look over in the morning then try it. (I've blow crap up before doing something stupid when tired, sooooo)

Reply 634 of 1023, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Thermalwrong wrote on 2022-10-11, 20:26:
I have about the same problem with the archives I've made over the years. But yours is shared and thank you for doing that, I've […]
Show full quote

I have about the same problem with the archives I've made over the years. But yours is shared and thank you for doing that, I've come across your site before but I don't think I was aware of that intel file archive and have just used Archive.org to get bios files etc where needed.
Some of mine are only on USB externals since my fileserver filled up and I'm delaying finalising its upgrade.

Today I got annoyed with the limitations of my USB microscope and its steady but limiting stand - it's always in the way and it can only do top down. I'm trying to solder some QFP chips taken off of other boards so the pins are a bit all over the place and I needed to inspect the pins pretty much side-on, which the USB microscrope just doesn't do well for me. My one at least is like that, I think the later ones they improved the stands but I need the camera pretty much at the height of the board rather than a top-down angle.

I bought some ELP USB 3.0 cameras a while ago for a project and they're great colour webcams but didn't work for my 3d scanning project back then. They've been sitting in a box ever since, but today I thought well, why not just make my own microscope? With the little M12 zoom lens I can focus in really close, but holding it by hand it's just too shakey. I put an arm in place for it which has helped but it's still quite shakey while working.
camera2.jpg

It seems that software for webcams has progressed, with Open Broadcaster Software now having the Live Vision Kit plugin that can do software video stabilisation: https://github.com/Crowsinc/LiveVisionKit
That works brilliantly, in full stabilisation it's a bit slow so I can switch the stabilisation modes for different setups and this did work for letting me check all the pins out. Now the boards works so I don't have to do this again hopefully for a long time. I bought the wrong board model and had to swap over loads of parts (CPU, BIOS, GPU, lots of little video circuit bits) to make it work for my laptop.
IMG_3182 (Custom).JPG
2022-10-11 20_45_32-OBS 28.0.3 (64-bit, windows) - Profile_ Untitled - Scenes_ Untitled (Custom) (2).png

I love the setup. It's amazing that technology is progressing and that new ideas are becoming a reality.

I might do the same set up so I can do close-ups of me soldering parts together, trace repairs, etc.

Reply 635 of 1023, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got 16gb of ddr3 1600 running at 1866mhz on the FX board and a 4.5ghz OC without really any tweaking. The free 650watt Super Nova is powering the 980ti with no problems. I remember why I liked this setup so much as a daily driver. Backup/spare/media center built. Just need to organize and setup somewhere for the TV and PC, mainly figuring out something to support the TV in the small space I have.

Reply 636 of 1023, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjwil1991 wrote on 2022-10-18, 04:33:
Thermalwrong wrote on 2022-10-11, 20:26:
I have about the same problem with the archives I've made over the years. But yours is shared and thank you for doing that, I've […]
Show full quote

camera2.jpg

IMG_3182 (Custom).JPG
2022-10-11 20_45_32-OBS 28.0.3 (64-bit, windows) - Profile_ Untitled - Scenes_ Untitled (Custom) (2).png

I love the setup. It's amazing that technology is progressing and that new ideas are becoming a reality.

I might do the same set up so I can do close-ups of me soldering parts together, trace repairs, etc.

I probably need to consider it at some point. Just got that hot air reflow kit. Don't think the old Intel QX5 microscope would really be up to it these days. I've got a clip on macro lens for a phone I might give a try though.

Reply 637 of 1023, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ODwilly wrote on 2022-10-18, 07:13:

I got 16gb of ddr3 1600 running at 1866mhz on the FX board and a 4.5ghz OC without really any tweaking. The free 650watt Super Nova is powering the 980ti with no problems. I remember why I liked this setup so much as a daily driver. Backup/spare/media center built. Just need to organize and setup somewhere for the TV and PC, mainly figuring out something to support the TV in the small space I have.

Nice, what sticks are you running for that? I might want to pick up something a bit decent for the X6 AM3+ rig, though I've got basic stuff to be going on with.

TVs are a lot easier these days unless you're talking CRT... I'd be thinking of what I could do with 2x4 uprights fixed to the back of a desk with a $20 mount on a crosspiece or something. For the next living room rearrange, I might start looking for a nice older dresser that had beefy mirror uprights, and put TV on one of those. Can find quality looking stuff cheap when the mirror is lost or damaged.

Reply 638 of 1023, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I plugged in, reformatted, and reinstalled Monterey on the newly acquired MacBook Air Late 2020 M1 8 CPU/7GPU/256GB/8GB.

Performance-wise, it's faster than the Early 2020 Intel i3-1.1 MB Air. I cannot wait for the Ventura release so I can do a side-by-side comparison between the two systems.

Reply 639 of 1023, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-10-18, 13:50:
ODwilly wrote on 2022-10-18, 07:13:

Nice, what sticks are you running for that? I might want to pick up something a bit decent for the X6 AM3+ rig, though I've got basic stuff to be going on with.

TVs are a lot easier these days unless you're talking CRT... I'd be thinking of what I could do with 2x4 uprights fixed to the back of a desk with a $20 mount on a crosspiece or something. For the next living room rearrange, I might start looking for a nice older dresser that had beefy mirror uprights, and put TV on one of those. Can find quality looking stuff cheap when the mirror is lost or damaged.

Some Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz. The working original remains, and some of the surviving late 4gb sticks I added later on. Originally had 2x2gb of Crucial Ballistix 1866 with the ugly yellow heatspreaders, but I replaced it with the OG 2x4gb kit of Corsair 1600that OC'd well and gave it to my step bro with some awful Corsair 2x2gb "value" ram 1333mhz . Half? The current kit is part of the OG x58 ram. 1 stick died. I don't really like the remaining two sticks. They work, and pass, but. . . the entire PC behaves better with only the other two sticks in, or lower, slower sticks in dual channel.