Topic actions

Reply 46720 of 52761, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
devius wrote on 2022-10-18, 18:51:
Nexxen wrote on 2022-10-18, 15:58:

Bought a socket 423 GA-8IDX3 (rev. 1.x) board.

Seems like it only supports SDRAM, or am I seeing it wrong? I thought the purpose of having a Socket 423 board was for the RDRAM support.

423 is a interesting piece to own, regardless whether it's RDRAM or SDRAM. I have a SDR based MSI 845 Pro w/ original 1.5GHz Willy core, and I consider it just as rare. Even more rare is the Socket 478 to 423 adapter I also have for it. (with what I think is a 1.6GHz Celeron, though I can't remember if it's a Willy as well or one of the very early Northwoods)

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 46721 of 52761, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I owned a Socket 423 1.4 Ghz Pentium 4 from Dell around release. Nothing to write home about, probably not as fast as a similar Pentium 3, but it was stable as a rock. I used it for Windows 98 -> ME -> 2000 -> XP. I did eventually upgrade it to a 1.8 Ghz CPU, but the bottleneck was the 256MB of RDRAM. By XP, this was extremely anemic.

A RAM upgrade was so expensive, even well past the end of its life, that I simply held on until I finally built a new machine with an Athlon 64 3400+. I definitely overcompensated, and bought 3GB of memory for it, although I ended up only using 2GB due to stability issues. This was still a HUGE upgrade from what I had been using previously.

I had a very good experience with this Pentium 4 system, as it was at the time itself a huge an upgrade from the Pentium 2 I had been using previously. It lasted me for years, and I had no problems with it whatsoever.

Reply 46722 of 52761, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-10-18, 23:51:

I owned a Socket 423 1.4 Ghz Pentium 4 from Dell around release. Nothing to write home about, probably not as fast as a similar Pentium 3, but it was stable as a rock. I used it for Windows 98 -> ME -> 2000 -> XP. I did eventually upgrade it to a 1.8 Ghz CPU, but the bottleneck was the 256MB of RDRAM. By XP, this was extremely anemic.

A RAM upgrade was so expensive, even well past the end of its life, that I simply held on until I finally built a new machine with an Athlon 64 3400+. I definitely overcompensated, and bought 3GB of memory for it, although I ended up only using 2GB due to stability issues. This was still a HUGE upgrade from what I had been using previously.

I had a very good experience with this Pentium 4 system, as it was at the time itself a huge an upgrade from the Pentium 2 I had been using previously. It lasted me for years, and I had no problems with it whatsoever.

I have a Rdram 423 with a few CPUs for it, the amazing 1.3ghz Willy a 1.9ghz Willy with a 1.4 and 1.6 because they were free, I have been hunting for a 2ghz Willy but they are rather rare and I haven't seen one hit Evilbay yet. Its a rather oddball system really where Im not even sure Intel knew what they wanted from it and made a few blunders and socket changes before they got shit ironed out.

Reply 46723 of 52761, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Drove more than 100km on Sunday to meet a guy and buy 3 machines + bunch of extra hardware.

Machine number 1:
FxH8OLG.jpg
VLSI 311 386SX with onboard AMD 386, socketed 387 coprocessor from Intel and 8MB RAM.
It also came with a well known Yamaha chip:
mFJQIQr.jpg

Machine number 2:
gSU0ZKq.jpg
FIC 486-GVT-2 with DX2-66 and 32MB PS/2 RAM. Is the VLB card better than a Tseng ET4000? Because I have one of these as well for some time now, but couldn't test it until now.
PC didn't come with a fancy soundcard but the PSU was pretty sweet:
rGru9aT.jpg

Machine number 3:
jd407ZP.jpg
ECS P5HX-B with Pentium i166, 64MB EDO and COAST module.

Bling bling for my collection:
1MNDDGn.jpg

Also nice, but not my personal taste:
VtLEjKb.jpg

Opium for the masses:
Mr5fYU7.jpg

The wrong IBM keyboard:
a99110Z.jpg

Found this between the crap:
i1LJ2E6.jpg

Another nice find hidden under trash:
lSS6sE3.jpg
Universal AGP, USB2, DDR2 up to 2.8GHz Northwood. Nice plattform for Voodoo5.

There was so much more.
- communist made 8 inch floppy drive
- Soundblaster Live
- two SCSI CD drives
- shitload of IDE CD drives
- 2 Quantum Bigfoots
- 6 smaller IDE HDDs
- Microsoft Sidewinder
- 17x 2GB DDR2 (mostly 800MHz)

Reply 46724 of 52761, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It looks to be a run of the mill Cirrus Logic VLB without any away to upgrade its memory non destructively, that ET4000 PCI though would be very hard to beat for a VLB card, might be one or two models that could get close or match it.

Reply 46725 of 52761, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CL cards are hit and miss, some are meh, some you can disable wait states and crank the bus until they glow. (Yeah I was using GPU coolers on my VLB 60Mhz bus 5x86 rig in the mid 90s 🤣 )

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 46727 of 52761, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-10-19, 03:11:

That's a fair haul. The Voodoos, AWE32 (with genuine OPL), AWE64, and Aztech are all good finds. I don't have much opinion on the rest. You got your gas money covered, even at 100km.

Wish I could find an AWE64 Gold in a pile of junk.

Reply 46728 of 52761, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-10-19, 00:19:

I have a Rdram 423 with a few CPUs for it, the amazing 1.3ghz Willy a 1.9ghz Willy with a 1.4 and 1.6 because they were free, I have been hunting for a 2ghz Willy but they are rather rare and I haven't seen one hit Evilbay yet. Its a rather oddball system really where Im not even sure Intel knew what they wanted from it and made a few blunders and socket changes before they got shit ironed out.

I wish my english teacher taught me this and not RP...
I installed XP SP2 on my rdram boards and can't complain. All was good. SP3 was what broke the XP experience on them, too heavy.

BTW I have 2 2ghz 423 😀

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 46729 of 52761, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nexxen wrote on 2022-10-19, 09:31:
I wish my english teacher taught me this and not RP... I installed XP SP2 on my rdram boards and can't complain. All was good. S […]
Show full quote

I installed XP SP2 on my rdram boards and can't complain. All was good. SP3 was what broke the XP experience on them, too heavy.

BTW I have 2 2ghz 423 😀

Taught you what exactly .. dont copy my English .. I failed it, too many rules for my liking and downright stupid spelling.

Also Aussie English isnt a great example of good english, we tend to be loose and fast with the rules and like to shorten a ton of words to so they end in "O"

Reply 46730 of 52761, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-10-19, 09:47:
I wish my english teacher taught me this and not RP... I installed XP SP2 on my rdram boards and can't complain. All was good. S […]
Show full quote

BTW I have 2 2ghz 423 😀

Taught you what exactly .. dont copy my English .. I failed it, too many rules for my liking and downright stupid spelling.

Also Aussie English isnt a great example of good english, we tend to be loose and fast with the rules and like to shorten a ton of words to so they end in "O"

When you are taught the answers and not the language you end up with a lot of problems in real life when using it.
I started learning english only after I finished school.

When you move away from London it's just a funfair of broken english (i.e. different accents).
Those are legit and mine not? 🤣
-this is just for fun, can only be understood by ppl who studied english as a 2nd language-

Reply 46731 of 52761, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nexxen wrote on 2022-10-19, 10:14:
When you are taught the answers and not the language you end up with a lot of problems in real life when using it. I started lea […]
Show full quote

BTW I have 2 2ghz 423 😀

When you are taught the answers and not the language you end up with a lot of problems in real life when using it.

When you move away from London it's just a funfair of broken english (i.e. different accents).
-this is just for fun, can only be understood by ppl who studied english as a 2nd language-

Ahhh I got you, your English is great by the way and that first line can apply to anything really and not just languages. Australian English is really broken but that is due to our multicultural background, lots of Italians, Germans, Lebanese and Greeks moved here in our early days and that alone broke our English. Then we got a lot of Chinese during the gold rush era and that just broke it even further and ever since we have just grabbed words from the other immigrants and added them to our own.

Right now Im trying to learn Japanese but they have three alphabets, Hiragana, Kanji and Katakana and each one is used for different things but Kanji is used to form entire words with one symbol. ...I actually find Kanji easy but Hiragana still confuses me.

Reply 46732 of 52761, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this SeaGate (not Barracuda or Medalist) 200MB, for cheap it works fine, no bad sectors..

20221018_144008(1).jpg
Filename
20221018_144008(1).jpg
File size
1.97 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
20221018_144020.jpg
Filename
20221018_144020.jpg
File size
727.61 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
eesz34 wrote on 2022-10-18, 16:06:
Nexxen wrote on 2022-10-18, 15:58:
Bought a socket 423 GA-8IDX3 (rev. 1.x) board. Seller said it has stability issues. I can count 4 of those issues :) if it the B […]
Show full quote

Bought a socket 423 GA-8IDX3 (rev. 1.x) board.
Seller said it has stability issues. I can count 4 of those issues 😀 if it the BIOS I can desolder and flash + add a socket for future stuff. It has dual bios, really easy.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-8IDX3-rev-1x/sp#sp

Seller's pic.

It's interesting to see what others consider vintage. I for example don't consider anything ATX to be vintage, even though an ATX board could be well over 20 years old.

If some piece of tech is 20 years old it goes to vintage territory.. You know it, i know it, everybody knows it.. Soon even crap like 478 will become vintage... As for 462 i already consider them to be vintage like, since the CPU still has the CR 1999 on it + it was as big as Pentium III, while the Pentium 4 was alot more smaller...

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 46733 of 52761, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-10-19, 10:19:

Right now Im trying to learn Japanese but they have three alphabets, Hiragana, Kanji and Katakana and each one is used for different things but Kanji is used to form entire words with one symbol. ...I actually find Kanji easy but Hiragana still confuses me.

I find it the other way around... Katakana and Hiragana are both phonetic, same sounds, same number of letters, just written differently (depending if traditional or not).

Kanji, there is no limit to the number of characters so literally thousands... average Japanese individual knows apparently around a 1000+ kanji, and the average Chinese knows 8000+ apparently... o.0

Reply 46734 of 52761, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried to get these Kana into my head for so long... Still couldn't get a lasting hold of them in my head. Guess I'm just too old for learning somethin' new 🤣.
And never seriously tried to remember Kanji, nor their different pronunciations, with all those different strokes they are really hard to remember. You learn one new, you forget two old.
Without the need for daily use you are just lost in translation.
BTW, what are you using for learning? Some online courses or the like?

Reply 46735 of 52761, by OMORES

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This 17'' Samsung SyncMaster monitor* 1600x1200 flat panel. Bought new in 2002 for about 250$.

It was more of a rescue mission than a purchase. (it was collecting dust in my parents garage)

Still works and it is very bright. The only problem is the VGA cable. I have to twist the cable to get a correct image. Since the cable is kinda built in, I have to cut it and rewire with another VGA cable or maybe open the case and solder another cable.

Attachments

My best video so far.

Reply 46736 of 52761, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nexxen wrote on 2022-10-19, 10:14:
When you are taught the answers and not the language you end up with a lot of problems in real life when using it. I started lea […]
Show full quote

Ahhh I got you, your English is great by the way and that first line can apply to anything really and not just languages. Australian English is really broken but that is due to our multicultural background, lots of Italians, Germans, Lebanese and Greeks moved here in our early days and that alone broke our English. Then we got a lot of Chinese during the gold rush era and that just broke it even further and ever since we have just grabbed words from the other immigrants and added them to our own.

Passed JLPT 4 and N4 (old 3).
Hiragana and katakana must be as easy as latin alphabet. Many newspapers have little hiragana to help with pronunciation (furigana).
Kanji are the death of the heart, you must learn them progressively. Reading may come not too difficult after a while, writing I've been spitting blood for a long time with low results.
Any japanese will tell you that they write them all their students' lives, thousands of times.

After 10 years of no work I can say that if you want to remember that so much unfamiliar language, you need to do something every day.
Anime weren't good for me, too much slang, plain forms and stuff only a native says.

My 2 cents.
----

Reply 46737 of 52761, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-10-19, 03:11:

That's a fair haul. The Voodoos, AWE32 (with genuine OPL), AWE64, and Aztech are all good finds. I don't have much opinion on the rest. You got your gas money covered, even at 100km.

But I paid more than gas.

TrashPanda wrote on 2022-10-19, 06:24:

Wish I could find an AWE64 Gold in a pile of junk.

I didn't find it in a pile of junk. The seller however did. His grandpa did have a scrapyard. That's where he found all this stuff, when he was a kiddo. He was very aware of the value of the Voodoos and AWEs. Paid 350€ for all of it. Kinda: "Pay full price for the 4 cards and get everything else for free." He had plenty of offers already, but was too lazy to send parcels and glad to get rid of everything at once, even at a lower price.

TrashPanda wrote on 2022-10-19, 02:57:

that ET4000 PCI though would be very hard to beat for a VLB card, might be one or two models that could get close or match it.

But the mainboard doesn't have PCI. Only VLB and ISA.
So the choice is between VLB ET4000 or the VLB from Cirrus.

Reply 46738 of 52761, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought this absolute unit: a DSP Solutions Port-Able Sound Plus (almost CIB, minus the DJ-45 to 35mm jack for amplified stereo sound).

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
282.13 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser