VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I am exhausted and feeling a tad unwell, though I am trying to wrap up the tweaking of my DOS 7.1 config.sys for my many-years-long project and quest to build and use the ultimate 486DX2/66 system to honor my early-teenage foray into x86 computing and for my love and nostalgia of it. I have created hundreds of startup files over the years, though since my motorcycle accident and subsequent inability to get restful sleep, these things take longer and I have forgotten some things (and sometimes forget things people tell me on this board, unfortunately. My issue is that I am creating a multi-config, like this:

[MENU]
MENUITEM=THE LINE I WANT HERE
MENUITEM=ANOTHER LINE I WANT

[COMMON]
*common stuff*

[THE LINE I WANT HERE]
*stuff*

[ANOTHER LINE I WANT]
*stuff*

When I reboot and arrive to the menu selection, the choices look like this:

1. LINE I WANT HERE
2. LINE I WANT

No matter what word I put at the beginning, it is not there at the menu selection. Am I missing something? I am very tired, but my config looks normal...

Reply 2 of 7, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm the exact opposite of a config.sys wizard and just started messing with them last spring with help from here, but I was taught to format it like this:

[MENU]
MENUITEM=WINDOWS, Microsoft Windows 98SE
MENUITEM=DOS1, MS-DOS 7.10
MENUDEFAULT=WINDOWS, 10

So is it possible it's taking the first word as the name of the config and the rest of the line is the menu name? I've got no idea are those commas necessary to separate the two.

Reply 3 of 7, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sombrero wrote on 2022-10-20, 05:48:

So is it possible it's taking the first word as the name of the config and the rest of the line is the menu name? I've got no idea are those commas necessary to separate the two.

Not really, no. But, you can imagine how confusing it will be to make sense of what is the menu item and what is the menu name without the comma? Just gives you a bit more structure.

Reply 4 of 7, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So far, I always used dos menus this way:

[menu]
menuitem=label1,description bla bla bla
menuitem=label2,another description huh
menudefault=label1,10

[label1]
some device drivers etc..

[label2]
another device drivers...

Works like a charm 😀 With commas separating label from description it looks more structural 😉

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 5 of 7, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you for the replies. This is what I have going on (just going to show the first menuitem after the [menu]:

[MENU]
rem MENUITEM=WTF EXPANDED MEMORY NO NETWORK FULL AWE32
MENUITEM=DOS, EXPANDED MEMORY+NO NETWORK+FULL AWE32
MENUITEM=DOS: NO-EMS NO NETWORK & FULL AWE32
MENUITEM=DOS: EXPANDED MEMORY, NO NETWORK & NO EXTRA AWE32 DRIVERS
MENUITEM=DOS: NO EMS, NO NETWORK, NO EXTRA AWE32 DRIVERS
MENUITEM=DOS: EXPANDED MEMORY, WITH NETWORK AND FULL AWE32
MENUITEM=DOS: NO EMS, WITH NETWORK AND FULL AWE32
MENUITEM=WINDOWS FOR WORKGROUPS 3.11: FULL NETWORK FULL AWE32
MENUITEM=unedited original

[DOS, EXPANDED MEMORY+NO NETWORK+FULL AWE32]

Then I get this:

1. EXPANDED MEMORY+NO NETWORK+FULL AWE32

Even the bottom menuitem, "unedited original," shows up as 8. original. I have tried:

[DOS,EXPANDED MEMORY+NO NETWORK+FULL AWE32]
[DOS: EXPANDED MEMORY+NO NETWORK+FULL AWE32]
[DOS+EXPANDED MEMORY+NO NETWORK+FULL AWE32]

...and other variations. No matter what, if I have more than one word, the first one isn't presented; only every word and symbol after the first word. I mean, I suppose I could do this:

[WTFISTHISCRAP DOS, EXPANDED MEMORY+NO NETWORK+FULL AWE32] so that it shows up with the first word I want shown...

This is weird as hell!!! I see all sorts of screenshots of long menu lines being shown. I remember having multi-word menuitems very similar to what I am trying to do, and on DOS 7.1 (which I have been using exclusive for DOS systems since 2003 or 2004.) What could be causing this? I have posted about a curse in that every time I solve an issue with this build, another one crops up... Could it be some weird old DOS virus?

Reply 6 of 7, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Your menu structure and descriptions of your menuitems are too bloated.

To simplify, give a short description for each menuitem (like DOS1), make sure it is unique and, only contains one string (without any spaces). It must then be followed by a comma and then you can type out whatever lenghtly description you like for each item

Look at @zyga64's example.

Reply 7 of 7, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jesolo wrote on 2022-10-20, 19:08:

Your menu structure and descriptions of your menuitems are too bloated.

To simplify, give a short description for each menuitem (like DOS1), make sure it is unique and, only contains one string (without any spaces). It must then be followed by a comma and then you can type out whatever lenghtly description you like for each item

Look at @zyga64's example.

Thank you. Right before I read your post, I went to http://info.wsisiz.edu.pl/~bse26236/batutil/help/MENUITS.HTM. I changed my menu to look like this:

[MENU]
MENUITEM=DOS1, MS-DOS+EXPANDED_MEMORY+NO NETWORK+FULL_AWE32

[DOS1]

And it works. It has simply been a long time since I worked on stuff like this and like you said, my lines were bloated. I feel a little silly, but I am forgetful these days. Thank you all for your help. Once I have this menu completed, the only things left to do are to reduce the amount of memory my NIC is using or choose a different NIC, buy a 90's switch to connect the 486 and my Pentium III to my network, and find a 90's printer with Win3.x drivers which I can still get ink for, and this project will be complete!