VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 46760 of 52352, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mid to late 80s when you could pick it up cheaper, I had both a ZX81 with an external keyboard, think it was by MGT, unfortunately, it blew the ZX81 up, because prev owner had put too long a cable on it. Was a lot nicer for typing while it lasted. It wasn't super great though, only kinda cash register button quality. Then also I got a Spectrum Plus 48k which had plastic over rubber dome so it was a glimpse of the future! That was also a lot better for typing on than the stock 16/48k one, but would rank among the lower end of rubber domes today. Bought a load of microdrive kit, drives, interface 1s, pile of cartridges, but I could never get the microdrives to work. The rest of the interface 1 seemed functional, could connect to another machine at a screaming fast 19,200 baud over serial. I started futzing around trying to get a linux termcap type right for it, didn't get very far though.

edit: In case you are wondering, all of that had to be abandoned in the late 1990s. I believe the relative I left it with sold some of it to an enthusiast though, as I had preserved it past the first frenzy of junking due to obsolescence and ppl had started to be interested again. So maybe my Sinclair hoard lives on somewhere.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 46761 of 52352, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baleog wrote on 2022-10-20, 09:53:

I finally got hold of a ZX Spectrum in really good condition. It even has the original plastic protection on the keyboard. I may be peeling that off. It however doesn't have the original outer box. I'm usually not so fussed about original packaging but in this case i may consider reproducing it.

That plastic protection is a godsend in this case, it'll be the reason why it is in such good condition. Most Spectrums you find nowadays are pretty scratched up or worn around the keyboard.

Whilst I already have 1 of the later Amstrad built Spectrums, I've always been tempted to get an original 48K model just for it's iconic looks (plus some minor game compatibility issues). They're pretty common in the UK for affordable prices, but I just know if I get 1 I'll end up spending more in the long run to spruce it up and get it looking pristine.

Reply 46762 of 52352, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gmaverick2k wrote on 2022-10-20, 19:18:

a poormans amstrad cpc 😜

In the case of the many lazy Spectrum ports on the Amstrad CPC though, it was better to own the Spectrum as the CPC version of the games often ran very slooooooowwwwwww. 🤣

Reply 46763 of 52352, by berenyi_kft

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got these bad boys today

Qjcjnmg.jpg

pMf8yDv.jpg

2-2-3-5 timings are the best I was able to get stable, 2-2-2-5 just hangs shortly after post

old samsung kit
Gnigdnq.jpg
new corsair kit
RHcpaxp.jpg

Got me a nice boost in minimum framerates 😁

Motherboard: ASRock 775i65G rev 3.0
CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core E5800 3.2GHZ
RAM: Corsair CMX1024-3200C2PRO DDR 400MHz CL2 1GB x 2
GPU: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 3850 AGP
Sound: Audigy 2 ZS
CRT: Iiyama Vision Master Pro 454 HM903DT 19'' 1920x1440 85Hz

Reply 46764 of 52352, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
berenyi_kft wrote on 2022-10-21, 00:26:
Got these bad boys today […]
Show full quote

Got these bad boys today

Qjcjnmg.jpg

pMf8yDv.jpg

I have seen these before.
Really cool.

Reply 46765 of 52352, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got this Tatung CM-1322N EGA monitor (rebadged as an Inacomp 600 Pro).

I believe it may be the same model or at least very similar to our original family computer monitor. Though ours was branded Tatung and not Inacomp.

Picture quality on it is quite nice; sharper and brighter than my Tandy CM-11, so I may use this for my Tandy machines going forward. Though it does suffer from a little of bit of jitter, so it will need some repair work first.

Attachments

• tatung ega monitor.jpg
    Filename
    tatung ega monitor.jpg
    File size
    222.86 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 46766 of 52352, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Probably capacitors, but that monitor sure looks amazing.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 46767 of 52352, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally got a Quickshot joystick, model QS-202.
With manual and unopened plastic bag with 3.5" disk with drivers.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 46768 of 52352, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Beware of the lasers. Black cats that cross your path as you walk under a ladder will start to tackle you.

Screenshot_20221022-031529.png
Filename
File size
1020.3 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Won myself a Laser 128 Apple //c or //e clone.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 46769 of 52352, by mrfusion92

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote on 2022-10-22, 07:18:

Beware of the lasers. Black cats that cross your path as you walk under a ladder will start to tackle you.

Very nice machine and also Adrian Blake approved!

Reply 46770 of 52352, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjwil1991 wrote on 2022-10-22, 07:18:

Very nice! I've casually wanted one of these for my collection ever since I learned about it, but I have far too much already. I'm happy to see one go to someone who will truly appreciate it.

It looks to be in great condition. Good job.

Reply 46771 of 52352, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been away for a bit without access to my collection of retro goodies, but during that time I managed to add a bit to it. Here are some highlights (beware of LONG post...)

ATi Rage Fury MAXX - saved from a scrapper. Missing both fans and heatsinks. Had 5 SMD capacitors broken off the back, but no PCB damage. I managed to replace the caps with ones stolen off a dead Rage Fury and she seems to run fine - in 2d at least. I haven't tested it in windows at all since I have no heatsinks for it. I'll do thorough tests when I manage to find a couple of heatsinks and fans that look similar to the ones it came with stock.

4kYdjO6l.jpg?1

1998-1999 beige box - 266MHz pentium II, AT form factor slot 1 ZIDA mainboard with the LX chipset, crystal ISA sound card and a TNT2 M64 video card. The label in the pictures tells us it originally came with a SIS video card but it's been upgraded to the TNT2 at one point in it's life. To be perfectly honest I bought this for the case, AT PSU and hard disk drive. AT cases are getting rarer by the day and I save each and every one I can find - keep the ones I fancy and trade the rest to other people getting into retro-computing. *redneck accent* theeze young'ins ain't experienced dem Ay Tee form factour cases, an' I'm gunna' help' with that!

Bcuz8ocl.jpg mxwwedCl.jpg
AzAB2hSl.jpg

Biostar MB-8433UUD-A. haven't gotten around to testing her yet. Bought from a recycling center where I can get old hardware by the KG. Looks to be in good condition and came with an AMD 586 CPU.

bPjaYXzl.jpg

Matrox G400 MAX - missing cooler. Heven't tested her yet but she looks in good condition.

1xm1Sojl.jpg

Voodoo 3 3000. Good condition, works - despite picking her out from a pile of other hardware.

GhwZRc1l.jpg

Voodoo 2 12MB. Horrible condition - plenty of corrosion, several SMD components missing, some bent pins. Might be able to fix it, but I don't have high hopes for this one. It will most likely end up as a parts donor for other defective voodoo 2 cards.

rXCwQrTl.jpg

SiS 315 agp.... by ECS.... I have 3 of these... they all look good, but none of them work - including this one... I really wanted a working one to mess around with, but I guess this is just my luck. Same with Trident Blade 3D cards. I have two, both dead... Can't find anything physically wrong with my 3 SiS cards. I plug them in an AGP slot, the PC posts correctly, no missing video card beeps, but no image.

tkrk0i3l.jpg

Zida 4DPS Rev 2.11. Found on top of some other boards at the Recycling center. A bit dirty but she works great. Gave this one to a friend who recently started collecting retro hardware.

79PT423l.jpg

Creative Sound Blaster 2.0 - got this one in trade from a friend.

HgAYYVPl.jpg

Point of View Geforce 6800XT AGP / 512MB DDR2 - again, recycling center find. Unfortunately, she was pretty damaged. Missing and damaged SMD componends, some very tiny (1008 size). Luckily layout is similar to a Gainward card I have (also defective - bad GPU) so I managed to lift all damaged components off the Gainward and get the PoV card running! She unlocks to 12/6/12/12 shaders just fine, but she's not stable fully unlocked to 16/8/16/16 like my leadtek 6800LE AGP.

gyy1mvEl.jpg WmbKc76l.jpg
s2I2jlQl.jpg

Asus P4P800 Deluxe i865 + socket 478 3GHz prescott pentium 4 + Silverstone Nitrogon NT02 tower cooler for socket 478. Wanted the cooler, but the recycling center would only sell me the whole kit as in the pic. Luckily everything works.

todfjQtl.jpg

Asus P5QC + Core 2 Quad Q9650. I only wanted the CPU, but as above, the center would only sell it as is. Price was good tough. The CPU works, it replaced the q9550 in my second LGA775 rig. Haven't tested the motherboard yet.

0CrhwSJl.jpg

Abit BH6. I love 90's abit boards, could not pass this one up. Came with a 333Mhz Pentium II and 64MB of PC100 SDRAM. I also have a BE6-II. I wonder what the differences between the two are.

CxtrSlhl.jpg?1

S3 Vision PCI card made by Diamond. Haven't tested it yet.

LdKJH2tl.jpg

Last edited by Socket3 on 2022-10-22, 17:48. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 46772 of 52352, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Socket3 wrote on 2022-10-22, 16:12:

ATi Rage Fury MAXX - saved from a scrapper. Missing both fans and heatsinks. Had 5 SMD capacitors broken off the back, but no PCB damage. I managed to replace the caps with ones stolen off a dead Rage Fury and she seems to run fine - in 2d at least. I haven't tested it in windows at all since I have no heatsinks for it. I'll do thought tests when I manage to find a couple of heatsinks and fans that look similar to the ones it came with stock.

Don't bother. The aluminum-backed fans that came with these are absolutely terrible and are very loud. Use the next generation all-black variant in instead. Note that there will be two fans on this, so any kind of noise generator gets doubled.

Reply 46773 of 52352, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-10-22, 16:34:

ATi Rage Fury MAXX - saved from a scrapper. Missing both fans and heatsinks. Had 5 SMD capacitors broken off the back, but no PCB damage. I managed to replace the caps with ones stolen off a dead Rage Fury and she seems to run fine - in 2d at least. I haven't tested it in windows at all since I have no heatsinks for it. I'll do thought tests when I manage to find a couple of heatsinks and fans that look similar to the ones it came with stock.

Don't bother. The aluminum-backed fans that came with these are absolutely terrible and are very loud. Use the next generation all-black variant in instead. Note that there will be two fans on this, so any kind of noise generator gets doubled.

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind.

Reply 46774 of 52352, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thrift store fairy gave me a Zalman "9500" series, newest iteration is the CNPS9500 LED, can't see if this one has one until I juice it. These were a high dollar cooler around launch in 2005, and stayed competetive through the noughties. Initially, they were outperforming off the shelf liquid cooling setups. Also named "aero flower" in some marketting. This one looks unused or very lightly used, but I didn't get any mounting hardware. Not quite as much of a steal as I thought when I looked it up, as apparently Zalman are clearing stock through Newegg at only $30 a pop, which is quite reasonable, I think original was at inflation adjusted $120-ish in 2022 dollars.

Anyhoo, another solid performing cooler for the stable, prescott taming capabilities, Tech Report got 4.5Ghz out of one with this on it, 180W. Maybe it will go on the Pentium Dual and I'll try a Re: The Pentium D 995: A study into a world without Conroe for make benefit glorious forums of VOGONS type setup, then it can banjo it's heart out against my s939 X2. But of course I've gotta bit of workshop fiddling around to do to make mounting clips/brackets.

Attachments

• zalman9500.jpg
    Filename
    zalman9500.jpg
    File size
    82.06 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Zalman 9500
    File license
    Public domain

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 46775 of 52352, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here is a photo of the fan I was talking about. I find these to be a lot quieter. Of course, they're all very old now, so there is always the risk of getting a bad or worn out fan. Sometimes they can be revived with a drop of oil, if the bearings aren't too worn or have become damaged.

Screenshot_20221022-140315_Chrome.jpg
Filename
Screenshot_20221022-140315_Chrome.jpg
File size
135.44 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 46776 of 52352, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-10-22, 18:05:

Thrift store fairy gave me a Zalman "9500" series, newest iteration is the CNPS9500 LED, can't see if this one has one until I juice it. These were a high dollar cooler around launch in 2005, and stayed competetive through the noughties.

I had the larger variant of this, and it was indeed a very good performer, as well as whisper quiet. They are challenging to store safely though when not in use, without an original box. Zalman's usual horizontal flower coolers were also very good.

I try to only buy coolers now that can mount standard sized fans, preferably something that can fit a Noctua. That way I can be confident with the longevity of the product. I will outlive the life of the solid aluminum and copper, but I have seen many, many fan bearings fail over the years.

Reply 46777 of 52352, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-10-22, 18:09:

They are challenging to store safely though when not in use, without an original box. Zalman's usual horizontal flower coolers were also very good.

I try to only buy coolers now that can mount standard sized fans, preferably something that can fit a Noctua. That way I can be confident with the longevity of the product. I will outlive the life of the solid aluminum and copper, but I have seen many, many fan bearings fail over the years.

Right, I'm actually quite astounded how this managed to go through the collection process and end up loose on a shelf and look so good still.

I could probably get another fan on it if I had to, would not look near as pretty, but it would work. But yeah, replaceable fans are best. Even because some coolers have quite lame fans on them and upping the CFM gives much better results.

Reply 46778 of 52352, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SiS 315 agp.... by ECS.... I have 3 of these... they all look good, but none of them work - including this one... I really wante […]
Show full quote

SiS 315 agp.... by ECS.... I have 3 of these... they all look good, but none of them work - including this one... I really wanted a working one to mess around with, but I guess this is just my luck. Same with Trident Blade 3D cards. I have two, both dead... Can't find anything physically wrong with my 3 SiS cards. I plug them in an AGP slot, the PC posts correctly, no missing video card beeps, but no image.

tkrk0i3l.jpg

Abit BH6. I love 90's abit boards, could not pass this one up. Came with a 333Mhz Pentium II and 64MB of PC100 SDRAM. I also have a BE6-II. I wonder what the differences between the two are.

CxtrSlhl.jpg?1

SiS 315 cards... I have one that works.... just.. it's not happy on anything but 1x AGP and low res, or it goes all muddy and can drop synch. I have ascribed this to the capacitors needing replacement, which I guess will only happen when all the more interesting cards have been fixed, deployed and tweaked.

BH6... solid board. Very stable. Give it it's PII 333 back and a banshee, or TNT and use for pre-98 stuff. Kinda boring really, no exceptional abilities, just a reliable donkey.

Reply 46779 of 52352, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-10-22, 18:40:

SiS 315 cards... I have one that works.... just.. it's not happy on anything but 1x AGP and low res, or it goes all muddy and can drop synch. I have ascribed this to the capacitors needing replacement, which I guess will only happen when all the more interesting cards have been fixed, deployed and tweaked.

You're giving me hope here man! I'm going to stick all of them in turn in an AGP 1X board (via MVP3 maybe?) and see if there are any signs of life.

BitWrangler wrote on 2022-10-22, 18:40:

BH6... solid board. Very stable. Give it it's PII 333 back and a banshee, or TNT and use for pre-98 stuff. Kinda boring really, no exceptional abilities, just a reliable donkey.

Interesting. In comparisson, the BE6-II is an overclocking beast. I run a 333MHz P2 at 500Mhz (5x100) at stock voltage on it. In fact all 4 of the 333Mhz P2 chips I have will run at 500Mhz on the BE6 (only one at stock voltage tough). Love Abit Softmenu.