VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 640 of 1014, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ordered a stick of ddr3L memory as 4gb is a bit sluggish with intel gpu on this buisness machine HP Prodesk 400
its lots smaller than my gaming rig and uses less power thats right ddr3L the CPU generation uses 2 clock frequencies
but it isn't backwards compatible with ddr3.
*edit*

So it wasn't DDR3L but ddr4 i was looking at the wrong model through google.
Next time I will use CPUID before shopping.
DDR3L is apparently backwards compatible with DDR3 machines but i feel its a myth.
Soon I will double my machines memory and end the hard disk thrashing running windows 11
with intel gpu when only 4gb ram installed.
If I am still not happy theres plenty of low profile pcie gpu cards around.

These tiny desktop work pc's are cheap on power and suit those whom game with consoles in general.

Last edited by zapbuzz on 2022-10-25, 08:02. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 641 of 1014, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Repaired an Apple Time Capsule 1TB by replacing the HDD with a working 1TB SSHD (temporary until I can get a 1TB SSD) and the bottom rubber that sits on the metal cage was a PITA to remove, which was supposed to come off in 1 piece, so I improvised by taping the pieces with duct tape temporarily until I can get a high temperature tape or fabricate a new rubber with screw holes so it'll be easier to open the unit instead of taking the darn rubber off.

Apple at its finest.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 642 of 1014, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just put windows 11 on my pro desk (not a compliant system but I don't mind) runs much the same as windows 10 except now I have encrypted DNS on the system than just the web browser.
HP has a GPU addon option I'll look into it if the memory expansion doesn't make me happy.

Last edited by zapbuzz on 2022-10-25, 08:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 643 of 1014, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I completed data migration off of a Windows 7 i5-4790T 4GB built as a Media Center PC w/8TB of Software RAID 1 ---> Synology DS920+ w/4-core Celeron J4125, 8GB of RAM, & 14TB RAID 5 volume (w/hot spare) accelerated w/2TB of mirrored NVMe cache. A USB 3.0 external 8TB disk is connected for backups.

The older PC will be replaced soon with another Haswell-based PC I have lying around, but this one is an OEM: ThinkCentre M73 w/8GB of RAM & i7-4790. The Windows 8 Pro license will be updated to Windows 10 Pro. The M73 will be used for the occasional streaming movie the Wife and I watch every now and again connected to ye ole' plasma television (Yes! You'll have to pull this TV out of my cold dead hands.).

Season 5 of Cobra Kai will inaugurate the M73's return to service.

Attachments

Reply 644 of 1014, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Meatball wrote on 2022-10-24, 00:11:

I completed data migration off of a Windows 7 i5-4790T 4GB built as a Media Center PC w/8TB of Software RAID 1 ---> Synology DS920+ w/4-core Celeron J4125, 8GB of RAM, & 14TB RAID 5 volume (w/hot spare) accelerated w/2TB of mirrored NVMe cache. A USB 3.0 external 8TB disk is connected for backups.

The older PC will be replaced soon with another Haswell-based PC I have lying around, but this one is an OEM: ThinkCentre M73 w/8GB of RAM & i7-4790. The Windows 8 Pro license will be updated to Windows 10 Pro. The M73 will be used for the occasional streaming movie the Wife and I watch every now and again connected to ye ole' plasma television (Yes! You'll have to pull this TV out of my cold dead hands.).

I used to repair flat panel stuff back in the day during CRT to LCD transition. Plamsa was not affordable at first then got little cheaper but not many people had plamsa since the most popular TVs was rear projection TVs which cost less than a grand, the last newer design towards the end of CRT era. Once LCD got cheaper, they dominate the landscape. People who wanted quality went with DLP projection but with color stripes if you pan your eyes too quickly as this is common on fast paced scenes but even the rear projection DLP went out of production quickly too. Improving LCD quality and reasonable cost killed off these including rear projection CRT TVs.

I have no good words about plamsas
Plamsa TV is a nightmare to repair. Not very much to repair and costly! If one of the line driver IC fails, game over as they are ultrasonic welded to the panel glass. If one of big IC dies (the giant dual row pins IC), mounted to large heatsink fails, you have to replace whole board since desoldering is impossible as it has very, very heavy tracks. Now at this age, and last plasma TV made was over a 12 years ago means parts is much harder to find, also not to mention the aging panel, they age quickly. The motherboard and power supply is very reliable. Usually some needs capacitors replaced.

Finally, plamsa panels has terrible issue is burn and panel do die with age showing comets and color flares, no way to avoid this, worse than Sony TV with their CRT killing automatic cathode kine adjustment.
Next time once plamsa get really old or failed for good, look at front DLP projection onto pull down screen (not to mention the color wheel thing except for 3x DLP and LED light sources without color wheel is costly but better than nothing), or newer 120Hz or 240Hz high end LCD TV. They really look good really especially on high end LCDs using LED backlight, and there are plenty of mid end LCDs with LED backlight out there with good specs. Just stick to good brands only. Like Samsung, LG etc. Actually LG has strong color pop.

Sorry I have to butcher; I do really do not recommend plasma even in good condition at all even back then when new due to these issues, I know this as they all will always eventually fail due to panel has very finite life.

Both of my TV and monitor are Samsung and utilize the LED backlight not CCFL, and they are doing great at 12 years mark but some especially cheap panels do develop faint halo near bezel depending on LCD panel used, best quality LCD panel usually don't.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 645 of 1014, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-10-24, 18:58:
I used to repair flat panel stuff back in the day during CRT to LCD transition. Plamsa was not affordable at first then got li […]
Show full quote
Meatball wrote on 2022-10-24, 00:11:

I used to repair flat panel stuff back in the day during CRT to LCD transition. Plamsa was not affordable at first then got little cheaper but not many people had plamsa since the most popular TVs was rear projection TVs which cost less than a grand, the last newer design towards the end of CRT era. Once LCD got cheaper, they dominate the landscape. People who wanted quality went with DLP projection but with color stripes if you pan your eyes too quickly as this is common on fast paced scenes but even the rear projection DLP went out of production quickly too. Improving LCD quality and reasonable cost killed off these including rear projection CRT TVs.

I have no good words about plamsas
Plamsa TV is a nightmare to repair. Not very much to repair and costly! If one of the line driver IC fails, game over as they are ultrasonic welded to the panel glass. If one of big IC dies (the giant dual row pins IC), mounted to large heatsink fails, you have to replace whole board since desoldering is impossible as it has very, very heavy tracks. Now at this age, and last plasma TV made was over a 12 years ago means parts is much harder to find, also not to mention the aging panel, they age quickly. The motherboard and power supply is very reliable. Usually some needs capacitors replaced.

Finally, plamsa panels has terrible issue is burn and panel do die with age showing comets and color flares, no way to avoid this, worse than Sony TV with their CRT killing automatic cathode kine adjustment.
Next time once plamsa get really old or failed for good, look at front DLP projection onto pull down screen (not to mention the color wheel thing except for 3x DLP and LED light sources without color wheel is costly but better than nothing), or newer 120Hz or 240Hz high end LCD TV. They really look good really especially on high end LCDs using LED backlight, and there are plenty of mid end LCDs with LED backlight out there with good specs. Just stick to good brands only. Like Samsung, LG etc. Actually LG has strong color pop.

Sorry I have to butcher; I do really do not recommend plasma even in good condition at all even back then when new due to these issues, I know this as they all will always eventually fail due to panel has very finite life.

Both of my TV and monitor are Samsung and utilize the LED backlight not CCFL, and they are doing great at 12 years mark but some especially cheap panels do develop faint halo near bezel depending on LCD panel used, best quality LCD panel usually don't.

Cheers,

So far, I have never purchased an LCD/LED for non-computing purposes. CRT, DLP, Plasma. I've only good things to say of my experiences with Plasma.

I bought a DLP in 2005, gave that away during a move in 2006, and then bought a Pioneer Plasma to replace it in 2006 (which was also given away during another move in 2012). At present we have two Plasmas; a Panasonic from 2012, and the other is a Samsung from July of 2014 (it is the last Plasma released; additionally, it has no SmartTV crap). No issues. Both still work fine and look great. No need to look further. When these two die in 20-30 years, I expect everything will be 3D holograms, heh.

Reply 646 of 1014, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got Ventura installed on my M1 MacBook Air 2020 and I got my beta tested MB Air 2020 Intel running the full version from RC2.

So far, both machines run great with it and the M1 system runs faster than the Intel one.

The Intel has 8GB RAM, 512GB storage and the M1 has 8GB RAM, 256GB storage, but the CPU speed is different: 3.2GHz M1 8Core/7CoreGPU vs 1.1GHz i5

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 647 of 1014, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good News Everyone!

You may cease panicking on my behalf, the side panel for the sleeper eMachine case turned up. It was hiding under a laptop. Only about 14" square, not a very big one.

So I have had that fired up, messing around trying to get the drives sorted out with help of a linux USB stick, turned out there was stuff that needed archiving and shiz. OMG it's taking forever to verify that archive. Had a minor diversion when it was only showing 6GB of RAM and I thought it had run out of rows/ranks/banks and was only showing one rank/bank/side of two of the DDR2s.... but then came to the realisation that Kingston is asshoe the way they label their RAM if it came in a kit with kit size instead of individual modules sizes, sooooo yah, I actually had two 1GBs in there... stuck an odd pair of 2GBs in and hope it does not my posterior gnaw upon later.

Anyhoo, holes in the side panel don't look breathe-y enough so gotta do something about that. Not sure whether I wanna spend a while drilling it all out carefully and it'll probably still be a bit out of line when the bit wanders, or just carve some kind of hole and cover it up with a premade grille.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 648 of 1014, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got a PCIe riser card that allows me to use an nvme m.2 drive on an older system that doesn't have it. I installed the card in daily driver along with an SSD and it works. Unfortunately my motherboard is too old to support booting from a pcie card. I tested this by directly passing through the drive in a KVM/QEMU vm and installing a linux OS directly to the drive. I checked the board's firmware settings to see if the drive showed up as bootable and it did not. Not that much of a surprise to be honest. I'm sure I can figure out what to really do with the drive, I just need to give it some thought. My current setup involved dual-booting windows and linux off a SATA SSD and I then also have a larger mechanical drive for things like games, movies, music, etc. (though I also have games installed on the SSD).

Reply 649 of 1014, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retrogamerguy1997 wrote on 2022-11-09, 21:22:

I got a PCIe riser card that allows me to use an nvme m.2 drive on an older system that doesn't have it. I installed the card in daily driver along with an SSD and it works. Unfortunately my motherboard is too old to support booting from a pcie card. I tested this by directly passing through the drive in a KVM/QEMU vm and installing a linux OS directly to the drive. I checked the board's firmware settings to see if the drive showed up as bootable and it did not. Not that much of a surprise to be honest. I'm sure I can figure out what to really do with the drive, I just need to give it some thought. My current setup involved dual-booting windows and linux off a SATA SSD and I then also have a larger mechanical drive for things like games, movies, music, etc. (though I also have games installed on the SSD).

I have a similar setup for mine and my wife's X58 systems. We can't boot off the nvme drives so windows in on a Sata SSD. We use the nvme drives as game drives and the loading times are fantastic and windows 10 is super responsive on the Sata 6 SSD. I wish we could of booted from the PCI-E adapter but it's still a great setup for a games drive.

Reply 650 of 1014, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-11-09, 23:04:
retrogamerguy1997 wrote on 2022-11-09, 21:22:

I have a similar setup for mine and my wife's X58 systems. We can't boot off the nvme drives so windows in on a Sata SSD. We use the nvme drives as game drives and the loading times are fantastic and windows 10 is super responsive on the Sata 6 SSD. I wish we could of booted from the PCI-E adapter but it's still a great setup for a games drive.

Well, I after read this reply I did decide to use the nvme drive for games. I created two partitions of the same size on it, both for games but different file systems. When CoD Warzone 2.0 comes out I can put that on the nvme drive rather than the mechanical drive. I ended up moving American Truck Simulator and Euro Truck Simulator 2 to the nvme drive because those two games on my main SSD update relatively frequently and lock up my whole system when updating. That's probably because my SATA SSD is a cheap kingston whereas my nvme drive is a more premium brand (samsung 980).

Reply 651 of 1014, by lepidotós

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Went to check the prices of Radeon Pro W6600s, did some updated number-crunching on how much I need for the Raptor Blackbird motherboard and associated IBM 02CY297 because I'm moving soon, then watched some YouTube. Probably going to go sleep soon to a video about cooking or something.

I usually pride myself on doing as much of my daily computing as I can on my old hardware -- if things were different, this post would be made on my 15" DLSD PowerBook running Debian. However, my charging cable no longer works so I'm leaving it be until I can either fix it or replace it. So I'm now on a computer that's old to me, but much newer chronologically, an Acer 17" running Windows 8.1 that I got for my 14th birthday. It's oddly nostalgic seeing the computer the way it was when I left it in 2018, sans some cleaning and swapping out the wallpaper from one of the Vista wallpapers to a Voodoo3 wallpaper.

Reply 652 of 1014, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thinking was dirt build up but no!
Found the reason for weak stream of water from kitchen sprout was infernal tiny rotten rubber o ring that sits on a plastic plate's round pin in turn this ring surrounded by six slotted holes. Every time water is running this ring gone soft expands due of water's pressure, partially blocking those holes.

Easily revealed when you disassemble yours. The tiny o-ring is hidden in two piece thin sandwich (easily popped apart) , covered by plastic intake fine screen on top, pops off to reveal this. This intake fine screen is first thing when you see, when unscrewed from the sprout.

Check yours!

Yay!

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 653 of 1014, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found the component that was causing a short on my GTX660 12V 6-pin connector line.

A VRM was dead, shorting to ground. Source was shorting with ground and resistance instead of 40K ohms, was like 20 ohms.
Could single out the dead vrm and desolder it. Thanks to multiple layers and no lead solder joints it was a royal pain with a 450°C heatgun.

Now I need to find the replacement for a 4927N QFN-8 smd. Best match is NTMFS4927N. Hope it works.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 654 of 1014, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Decided to get ready to thin my modern herd a little bit today. Decided to keep the Late 2015 21.5" iMac and set it up to triple boot OSX Monterey, Win10, and Linux Mint. Been a bit of a learning experience and quite an adventure thus far.

Got mint and OSX to dual boot, Windows without Bootcamp destroyed OSX boot, so I had to start over.

Right now reinstalling monterey, then 10 through bootcamp, then linux 64-bit through.

The reason is I'm getting tired of dragging machines over to the desk over and over again to use them because I have something on Linux or Mac OS or Windows 10 to use, now I just have all three in there. Plus I'm learning a little more about Macs in general. I have this, a giant, 10 ton Dell T3400, a Dell 7010, and a beige InWin Q500 desktop, and so far, I'm kind of liking the increased desk space of the iMac system for the past several months. Plus some of the musicians I collaborate with and whatnot use GarageBand - so this enables me to use that when I can. I can then use my other LCD as a 2nd monitor if I desire.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 655 of 1014, by lepidotós

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sounds pretty good. If I were still cool with amd64, I'd probably want to pretty much follow along with that same setup.

I myself just bought some USB drives -- two 16GBs and a 64GB -- and am going to upgrade this laptop to Mageia once they arrive.

Reply 656 of 1014, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
creepingnet wrote on 2022-11-25, 03:42:
Decided to get ready to thin my modern herd a little bit today. Decided to keep the Late 2015 21.5" iMac and set it up to trip […]
Show full quote

Decided to get ready to thin my modern herd a little bit today. Decided to keep the Late 2015 21.5" iMac and set it up to triple boot OSX Monterey, Win10, and Linux Mint. Been a bit of a learning experience and quite an adventure thus far.

Got mint and OSX to dual boot, Windows without Bootcamp destroyed OSX boot, so I had to start over.

Right now reinstalling monterey, then 10 through bootcamp, then linux 64-bit through.

The reason is I'm getting tired of dragging machines over to the desk over and over again to use them because I have something on Linux or Mac OS or Windows 10 to use, now I just have all three in there. Plus I'm learning a little more about Macs in general. I have this, a giant, 10 ton Dell T3400, a Dell 7010, and a beige InWin Q500 desktop, and so far, I'm kind of liking the increased desk space of the iMac system for the past several months. Plus some of the musicians I collaborate with and whatnot use GarageBand - so this enables me to use that when I can. I can then use my other LCD as a 2nd monitor if I desire.

I'm facing the same issue, decide whether a laptop could be better.
SSD with multiple OSes on.
I have to lower my AT and ATX builds from a high shelf and they are heavy 😀

Reply 657 of 1014, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I'll say so far with the iMac it's pretty nice now that I got the triple boot working. Had to check the budget this morning for a new key for Windows 10 for it though (been using the same Win7 key since 2014 when it was RTM at Microsoft - where I worked). 22H2 does not like that key, 🤣. Now it's all setup, and updated and running.

also fixed my external drive and found out why it was not working, USB 3.0 cable went bad on it, so right now it's running on a microUSB cable (one side fits) for the time being until I can replace it properly. It's a WD Passport. Now it shows up in all three O/S properly now as well.

Got a really cool piece of kit as well. It's one of those external HDD in 2TB variety with a keypad on it to lock away your data, 🤣. My old work was throwing out some cool stuff like that and a dictation machine. Also got a Dock for my Dell 6230 as well.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 658 of 1014, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
creepingnet wrote on 2022-11-26, 01:04:

Well, I'll say so far with the iMac it's pretty nice now that I got the triple boot working. Had to check the budget this morning for a new key for Windows 10 for it though (been using the same Win7 key since 2014 when it was RTM at Microsoft - where I worked). 22H2 does not like that key, 🤣. Now it's all setup, and updated and running.

also fixed my external drive and found out why it was not working, USB 3.0 cable went bad on it, so right now it's running on a microUSB cable (one side fits) for the time being until I can replace it properly. It's a WD Passport. Now it shows up in all three O/S properly now as well.

Got a really cool piece of kit as well. It's one of those external HDD in 2TB variety with a keypad on it to lock away your data, 🤣. My old work was throwing out some cool stuff like that and a dictation machine. Also got a Dock for my Dell 6230 as well.

Interesting.

When company's throwing out, always check for stuff. You might find a surprisingly big surprise 😀

Reply 659 of 1014, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried again to repair the Ram 2nd channels (A2/B2) on a 775 DDR3 board.
Suspicious traces were fine, voltages are right.

The only reason it won't read those two slots is because the NB isn't getting some signals or the NB can't communicate correctly with the cpu.
Something is busted for sure.