TinyLlama (Vortex86EX SBC)

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 661, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
florian3 wrote on 2022-11-03, 03:28:
Compiled a bios with serial debugging. It does detect the mouse but I‘m not getting any mouse events. I set the debug log level […]
Show full quote

Compiled a bios with serial debugging. It does detect the mouse but I‘m not getting any mouse events.
I set the debug log level to 9 and now everything is extremely slow. Will take a while until I‘m back on a useable BIOS.
Disabling PS2 port in the Seabios config also seems to disable USB mouse and keyboard, so not a good idea.

Update:
Yeah the keyboard work on both USB ports.
Only when I plug in a Logitech USB wireless mouse receiver the keyboard stops working.
Keyboard also didn’t work when connected via a USB hub.

Do you have a known working popular mouse model?

Whoa, you went straight to debugging the bios, impressive! 😀 You might try setting a lower global debug log level and manually turning the level down for certain interesting debug lines in code?
Btw, did you find the built-in floppy emulator with the bios update tool satisfactory? I spent quite a while getting that setup working (and actually _finding_ the ANYBIOS program, had to dig through lots of weird and old DMP files), but it was super rewarding when I didn't have to use the hw programmer anymore! 😁
I'll take a look later today to see which mice I have, and what works. I could have sworn I'd previously used a USB hub as well, I'll check that out as well.

The LlamaBlaster sound card
ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 122 of 661, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You really realize how small the computer is when you have the pcb in your hands 😀

Attachments

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 123 of 661, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tabm0de wrote on 2022-11-03, 16:25:

You really realize how small the computer is when you have the pcb in your hands 😀

Eeeeey, the first board in the wild not provided by me! Congrats! Do you have all the parts in hand as well?

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 124 of 661, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2022-11-03, 16:30:

Eeeeey, the first board in the wild not provided by me! Congrats! Do you have all the parts in hand as well?

Yepp received all parts today also 😀

It’s not only the first board it’s also with rerouted R11 to 3V 😉 we will see how that works 😀 I’m just waiting for the heat plate to just make it a bit easier with the pcb stencil 😉

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 125 of 661, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tabm0de wrote on 2022-11-03, 16:40:
Eivind wrote on 2022-11-03, 16:30:

Yepp received all parts today also 😀

It’s not only the first board it’s also with rerouted R11 to 3V 😉 we will see how that works 😀 I’m just waiting for the heat plate to just make it a bit easier with the pcb stencil 😉

Great! Looking forward to seeing the finished board! 😁

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 126 of 661, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
florian3 wrote on 2022-11-03, 03:28:
Yeah the keyboard work on both USB ports. Only when I plug in a Logitech USB wireless mouse receiver the keyboard stops working. […]
Show full quote

Yeah the keyboard work on both USB ports.
Only when I plug in a Logitech USB wireless mouse receiver the keyboard stops working.
Keyboard also didn’t work when connected via a USB hub.

Do you have a known working popular mouse model?

So I just did a quick test - an HHKB Pro2 keyboard and a Logitech UltraX Premium keyboard both worked flawlessly, no issues there.
For mice, I used a Razer Deathadder 2013 - worked fine every time. I also tried a Roccat Kova [+] (what a name!), and that was a bit more fussy. When plugging it into the llama directly, it didn't work - and sometimes reset the whole system, even during early stages of the boot process. Then I used a powered usb hub (Orico P10-U3), and then the Roccat worked perfectly. This smells like a power/current issue, I might try desoldering some or all of the on-board fuses during the weekend, and bridging the pads instead and see if that changes anything.

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 127 of 661, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another idea I've had which would still be pretty hard, but would probably integrate better with the raspberry pi : let it emulate CD-Rom tracks used in CD-Rom games.

The issue is that we'd need a modified version of SHSUCDX that would somehow communicate with the rpi to select a track and tell it which game is running. And of course the program would need to be added to the midi synth emulator ...

Do USB CD-Rom drives work ?

By the way I managed to order my 86duino board and video card, with the help of a relative ... I wish they could fix their site instead. But anyways, problem solved

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 128 of 661, by florian3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Turns out 3 of the 5 mice that I have here actually work when connected via a powered USB hub. I'm not sure what I did wrong when I tried a hub yesterday.
When directly connected to the tinyllama none of them work.

Reply 129 of 661, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote on 2022-11-03, 23:00:
Another idea I've had which would still be pretty hard, but would probably integrate better with the raspberry pi : let it emula […]
Show full quote

Another idea I've had which would still be pretty hard, but would probably integrate better with the raspberry pi : let it emulate CD-Rom tracks used in CD-Rom games.

The issue is that we'd need a modified version of SHSUCDX that would somehow communicate with the rpi to select a track and tell it which game is running. And of course the program would need to be added to the midi synth emulator ...

By the way I managed to order my 86duino board and video card, with the help of a relative ... I wish they could fix their site instead. But anyways, problem solved

There's already software you can run in DOS that emulates a CD from an ISO file, why would you need to "stream" that ISO from the Pi? :p Or am I missing your point here?

Edit: aaah, I think I understand now - you meant letting the Pi play back CD audio, like a CD-ROM drive can via the special audio cable? Yeah, that would indeed be pretty cool!

Last edited by Eivind on 2022-11-03, 23:49. Edited 1 time in total.

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 130 of 661, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
florian3 wrote on 2022-11-03, 23:16:

Turns out 3 of the 5 mice that I have here actually work when connected via a powered USB hub. I'm not sure what I did wrong when I tried a hub yesterday.

Aha! Yeah, I think we're getting closer here. I'll try monitoring the voltage across the fuses with an oscilloscope and maybe do the direct bridging like I mentioned above.

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 131 of 661, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Eivind

I like to use a bootable hardware Optical drive emulator like the iodd ST400 (It can mount and boot floppy and VHD images too) It's really handy.
I'm curious if the USBCD DOS driver I'd use with it uses less memory than SHSUCDX?

MB: ASRock B550 Steel Legend
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: Corsair 64GB Kit (4x16GB) DDR4 Veng LPX C18 4000MHz
SSDs: 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SATA + 1x Samsung 980 (non-pro) 1TB NVMe SSD
OSs: Win 11 Pro (NVMe) + WinXP Pro SP3 (SATA)
GPU: RTX2070 (11) GT730 (XP)

Reply 132 of 661, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Eivind wrote on 2022-11-03, 23:28:
Deksor wrote on 2022-11-03, 23:00:
Another idea I've had which would still be pretty hard, but would probably integrate better with the raspberry pi : let it emula […]
Show full quote

There's already software you can run in DOS that emulates a CD from an ISO file, why would you need to "stream" that ISO from the Pi? :p Or am I missing your point here?

Edit: aaah, I think I understand now - you meant letting the Pi play back CD audio, like a CD-ROM drive can via the special audio cable? Yeah, that would indeed be pretty cool!

Yes, the audio stream, not the data 😁

Maybe the modified SHSUCDX (or whatever program is actually best for that) could communicate with the pi via the midi interface ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 133 of 661, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Eivind wrote on 2022-11-03, 23:31:
florian3 wrote on 2022-11-03, 23:16:

Aha! Yeah, I think we're getting closer here. I'll try monitoring the voltage across the fuses with an oscilloscope and maybe do the direct bridging like I mentioned above.

It looks like my issue was twofold, first - either the fuse F1 was under-dimensioned, faulty or wasn't soldered correctly. I removed it and bridged the gap, and that took care of the instability issue I had with the Roccat mouse connected.
Second, I tried removing fuses F2 and F3 and bridged the gaps. I also bodged in a 10uF cap between the VBUS and GND pins on the USB connector, to see if that made any difference and it didn't. That mouse still doesn't work when inserted directly into one of the USB ports. It does, however when used with a powered USB hub AND with the HHKB keyboard's built-in hub. That obviously isn't powered externally, so I'm leaning more towards a BIOS issue than the device not being powered correctly after all. Next is trying to figure out what's going on by debugging the USB part of the boot-up process.
@florian3, feel free to chime in if you have any ideas (seeing as you're already in BIOS debug mode! 😀 )

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 136 of 661, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tabm0de wrote on 2022-11-04, 12:30:

Stupid question what kind of power supply are you guys using so it’s not that it is to low amp.

I've tried several (12W Apple, big battery power bank, etc), doesn't seem to make any difference. I've measured a current draw of 0.7-1.2 amps or thereabout using a usb power meter. I imagine anything rated 2A or higher should be more than enough.

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 138 of 661, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you think the next revision could have USB C for power ? Getting high power from that is usually easier with that especially now (and in my experience the cables are more durable)

Reply 139 of 661, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasteri wrote on 2022-11-04, 13:33:

🤣 I was about to help diagnose this but I just blew up my som-128-ex. Fed it 12v by plugging in a power cable backwards...

Ordered another one.

Oh no, poor little guy! Couldn't handle his 12 volts! 😀 Do you order them from DMP or somewhere else?

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC