VOGONS

First post, by vacatedboat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ive had this graphics card for a while. Only just saw with my poor eyesight that the rom label says faulty! No wonder i had all that trouble yrs ago.
Anyway I justgot a tl866II plus programmer and was trying to read the rom in the hope of writing a fresh version. Or getting a new rom installed.
I keep getting an device id error. Im not sure what to select in the software. As there is no TMS option.
Are the any replacements i could get fairlyeasy and program.
Many thanks for any help.

Attachments

Last edited by vacatedboat on 2022-11-06, 08:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vacatedboat wrote on 2022-11-06, 03:45:

I keep getting an device id error. Im not sure what to select in the software. As there is no TMS option.

You can uncheck the "Check ID" checkbox in the Options group (bottom left part of the Xgpro app) and retry, reading should work the same for any pin-compatible EPROMs, any 27256 chip will do for reading.

As for the replacement options - probably there are too many to tell you the exact one. See the stores you can easily reach, look for EEPROM(flash) chips. Some kind of cheap Winbond W27C257 should work ok.

Reply 2 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

+1

The "read ID" checkbox must be unchecked!

Also, there's a BIOS file at VGA Museum..

https://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/cpu/item … ent-tvga9000i-1

Just in case the BIOS in that EPROM is really faulty..

If it's readable for the TL866, I'd try to make a backup of the old BIOS first, of course.

Btw, the Trident 8900D wasn't bad, either.
So if you need a replacement card, it's an alternative.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 8, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tridents always have a BIOS where the data is shuffled a bit and when the dump is done with software such as NSSI, you get a dump that will not work on actual hardware when burned on a memory chip.
If I can uncover my TVGA9000-1 I'll do a dump of its ROM that should work.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 8, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dumped the Bios from my TVGA9000i-2, not sure if that -1/-2 revision is critical, the version name is the same D4.01E as from file from VGA museum.

Filename
Trident 9000i-2 Ver. D4.01E.bin.zip
File size
20.18 KiB
Downloads
51 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Trident 9000i-2.jpg
Filename
Trident 9000i-2.jpg
File size
1.15 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 6 of 8, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The original BIOS chip has a sticker mentioning "Cirrus Logic" on it. I don't think it's worth to read that chip for getting the Trident card to work. A Trident card will not work with a BIOS meant for a Cirrus Logic card. Sourcing a TVGA9000i dump from the internet (possibly VOGONs) seems like more promising.

Reply 7 of 8, by vacatedboat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for all help. This is a card that sometimes would boot the machine. So its a spare now.
Sorry i may of mistyped the version number. Also yes this is the second eprom ive tried to re program so inexperienced with the software. Thanks all for the bios dumps. Will give it a go.

Reply 8 of 8, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vacatedboat wrote on 2022-11-06, 08:11:

Thanks for all help. This is a card that sometimes would boot the machine. So its a spare now.
Sorry i may of mistyped the version number. Also yes this is the second eprom ive tried to re program so inexperienced with the software. Thanks all for the bios dumps. Will give it a go.

Are you aware the 27-series EPROMs need to be erased by removing the sticker and illuminating it with UV light (commonly 245nm) before you can reprogram it? I can't find any datasheet for a TMS27256, only for a TMS27C256, which is a later chip. This page for a different programmer indicates that the NMOS TMS27256 needs longer programming pulses than the TMS27C256, but it lists a lot of other NMOS 256kBit EPROMs that can be programmed the same way. For example the AMD AM27256 (which is supported by the TL866) should be compatible enough that you can program an erased TMS27256 with that setting, if you disable ID verification.