VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 760 of 1005, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

None of the PR166 chips I tested were entirely stable at 133 MHz with every application I threw at it and I would be surprised if any PR166 chips were. At the time, I had to borrow a K5 PR200 to complete the 6x86 benchmarks. Do you have such a PR166 chip which runs at 133 MHz on all the benchmarks of the 6x86 benchmark comparison?

It is probably best not to post any unsold desirable listings, even with the URL is removed. We previously had a thread with similar intent in the past, that is, focusing on ridiculously priced retro hardware on eBay, and it was subsequently shut down. While this one might slide by, continued provocation of the grey area may close this thread as well.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 761 of 1005, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote on 2022-11-07, 11:06:

None of the PR166 chips I tested were entirely stable at 133 MHz with every application I threw at it and I would be surprised if any PR166 chips were. At the time, I had to borrow a K5 PR200 to complete the 6x86 benchmarks. Do you have such a PR166 chip which runs at 133 MHz on all the benchmarks of the 6x86 benchmark comparison?

It is probably best not to post any unsold desirable listings, even with the URL is removed. We previously had a thread with similar intent in the past, that is, focusing on ridiculously priced retro hardware on eBay, and it was subsequently shut down. While this one might slide by, continued provocation of the grey area may close this thread as well.

Im doing my best to appease the rule gods...

But shit if I dont want to become an atheist.

As for the CPU, I have a PR166, once I bench it Ill let you know, the seller did state they had it at PR200 speeds, though that could mean anything really. (Have a PR133 in a box under some dust ...might get around to digging it out eventually)

Reply 762 of 1005, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
acl wrote on 2022-11-05, 20:26:
No way ! Are these AGP + PCIe board that expensive ? I have a 939DualSata2 as testing motherboard. And I m'not very careful with […]
Show full quote

No way !
Are these AGP + PCIe board that expensive ?
I have a 939DualSata2 as testing motherboard.
And I m'not very careful with it to be honest.
It's always on my desk, never in a case, i boot it with a coin/screwdriver on the pins.

Madman! 😁
Let me guess: It's ASrock, so you thought it's worthless. And because it has both AGP and PCIe, you used it as a expandable testboard, so you didn't have to swap boards. 😁 Please don't do that.

feipoa wrote on 2022-10-19, 03:27:

That's what I do, however I needed to use the PCIe x16 port with RAID to reach those speeds; PCIe x1 for USB 3.1; AGP 8x for GeForce 7 series (AMD 3000/4000 series drivers in modern Linux are junk); conventional PCI for Intel gigabit LAN; and the other AGP looking port for the AM2 upgrade card with 8 GB DDRII. Upgraded to the extreme. I use that system 24/7 for modern internet, however given the increasing rarity, I'm wondering if I should park it in the closet and replace it.

Another madman. 😁
Yes, you should retire it. Judging from how much people are willing to pay for the board alone, I can only imagine how much they would be willing to pay for the expansion card. You could buy a sweet mainboard bundle from that money.
Or better: Keep the board and buy something cheap that is better than what you're using now. i5-2500K's and midrange boards have become incredible cheap. Upgradable to 4x8GB. Integrated SATA 6GB/s + USB3. Very willing overclocker who still has enough horsepower to run modern midrange graphics card. Full WinXP Support. What more can you expect for less than 50 bucks? Some people even find them on the streets these days.

The board might come in handy, if you ever need to test one of these bridged AGP cards.
Fantastic video about the topic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZGxHkvQPrk
Look how much the Pentium 4 bottlenecks the GeForce 6800 and Radeon 3850. There's also a AGP GeForce 7950, which is worth a fortune. If you ever find one of these in a lot, you're gonna need one of these ASrock abominations to stress it.

Reply 763 of 1005, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-11-07, 11:47:
Madman! :D Let me guess: It's ASrock, so you thought it's worthless. And because it has both AGP and PCIe, you used it as a expa […]
Show full quote
acl wrote on 2022-11-05, 20:26:
No way ! Are these AGP + PCIe board that expensive ? I have a 939DualSata2 as testing motherboard. And I m'not very careful with […]
Show full quote

No way !
Are these AGP + PCIe board that expensive ?
I have a 939DualSata2 as testing motherboard.
And I m'not very careful with it to be honest.
It's always on my desk, never in a case, i boot it with a coin/screwdriver on the pins.

Madman! 😁
Let me guess: It's ASrock, so you thought it's worthless. And because it has both AGP and PCIe, you used it as a expandable testboard, so you didn't have to swap boards. 😁 Please don't do that.

feipoa wrote on 2022-10-19, 03:27:

That's what I do, however I needed to use the PCIe x16 port with RAID to reach those speeds; PCIe x1 for USB 3.1; AGP 8x for GeForce 7 series (AMD 3000/4000 series drivers in modern Linux are junk); conventional PCI for Intel gigabit LAN; and the other AGP looking port for the AM2 upgrade card with 8 GB DDRII. Upgraded to the extreme. I use that system 24/7 for modern internet, however given the increasing rarity, I'm wondering if I should park it in the closet and replace it.

Another madman. 😁
Yes, you should retire it. Judging from how much people are willing to pay for the board alone, I can only imagine how much they would be willing to pay for the expansion card. You could buy a sweet mainboard bundle from that money.
Or better: Keep the board and buy something cheap that is better than what you're using now. i5-2500K's and midrange boards have become incredible cheap. Upgradable to 4x8GB. Integrated SATA 6GB/s + USB3. Very willing overclocker who still has enough horsepower to run modern midrange graphics card. Full WinXP Support. What more can you expect for less than 50 bucks? Some people even find them on the streets these days.

The board might come in handy, if you ever need to test one of these bridged AGP cards.
Fantastic video about the topic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZGxHkvQPrk
Look how much the Pentium 4 bottlenecks the GeForce 6800 and Radeon 3850. There's also a AGP GeForce 7950, which is worth a fortune. If you ever find one of these in a lot, you're gonna need one of these ASrock abominations to stress it.

Yep the AGP 7950 GT, one of the few cards I dont own yet and wish I had one, though given how fragile they are finding a working one would be an even bigger challenge.

Reply 764 of 1005, by libby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pvi-sp3.png
Filename
pvi-sp3.png
File size
342.26 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Oof. The most I'd seen one of these boards go for previously was around $300. Even with a CPU, SCSI card and memory $616 is a massive inflation over previous highs.

I have five of these boards, hahaha.

Reply 765 of 1005, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Damn, I see stuff like that one, and I wonder if it's all retro-nut pricing or it was original board for a $20,000 network analyser or something.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 766 of 1005, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-11-07, 11:47:

Madman! 😁

More or less, yes. 😅
I don't think ASRock is worthless (i have no opinions about Asrock). But i wanted the 9700 Pro in the lot, the seller did not wanted to split. Ok, i take the whole lot. I'll use it as my new testing board.
I've looked for the AM2 daughterboard. And it's like 200$+ alone. So nope. I'll stay with the A643200+ that came with the board.

But i must say it's not the perfect testing mainboard.
AGP is 1.5v only, and i have some perfectly working AGP and PCI cards that just refuses to boot (a Kyro AGP and a ATI Mach64 PCI)
I suspect that lowering AGP speed would let the Kyro boot. But i'm clueless about the Mach64. So i avoid testing PCI cards on it, and i double check with another MB for AGP cards.

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 767 of 1005, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
libby wrote on 2022-11-07, 14:10:

Oof. The most I'd seen one of these boards go for previously was around $300. Even with a CPU, SCSI card and memory $616 is a massive inflation over previous highs.

Is there anything special about that board in particular? I have a few SiS496 based motherboards and they all have similar performance, there doesn't seem to be any wild differences in 486 platforms at that point.

Reply 768 of 1005, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheMobRules wrote on 2022-11-07, 16:20:
libby wrote on 2022-11-07, 14:10:

Is there anything special about that board in particular? I have a few SiS496 based motherboards and they all have similar performance, there doesn't seem to be any wild differences in 486 platforms at that point.

I'm not really into 486 (to early for me)
Is that the 486 + PCI + VLB combo ?

Reply 769 of 1005, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What would yous say is the current market value of a fairly standard Socket 7 board in excellent condition, with an IBM 6x86 PR200, and 2 x 32MB 72 pin SIMMs?

I did sell this a few months ago. I am curious to see how the community's expectations compare with the reality of the sale.

Reply 771 of 1005, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow.
Tbh you can get that for less than 50€ in France.
In fact I bought one of the pcpartner at 45€ a few month ago. The seller have a small pile of new old stock. It adds ram, a CPU (model may vary) a cooler test everything and ships it.

IMG_20221107_232330.jpg
Filename
IMG_20221107_232330.jpg
File size
68.41 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 772 of 1005, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-11-07, 21:27:

What would yous say is the current market value of a fairly standard Socket 7 board in excellent condition, with an IBM 6x86 PR200, and 2 x 32MB 72 pin SIMMs?

Board: Which brand? Which chipset? With split voltage or without? Can it run K6-3+ with BIOS mod? Best case would be something like a P55T2P4 Rev.3.X. In that case you're looking at up to 100 bucks. If it can only run i200 max, you're looking at less than 50 bucks.
CPU: I don't collect outside of the Intel/AMD mainstream, so no idea.
RAM: 15-40€. Depending on what it is. Noname 60ns or Micron 50ns makes a big difference.

acl wrote on 2022-11-07, 16:09:

But i must say it's not the perfect testing mainboard.
AGP is 1.5v only, and i have some perfectly working AGP and PCI cards that just refuses to boot (a Kyro AGP and a ATI Mach64 PCI)
I suspect that lowering AGP speed would let the Kyro boot. But i'm clueless about the Mach64. So i avoid testing PCI cards on it, and i double check with another MB for AGP cards.

Yeah, I also experienced old PCI cards not posting on newer systems. I think it was an ATI as well. I use a partially defect LGA775 for initial testing. If a PCI card won't work in it, I transplant it into my test system with P55T2P4.

All the late AGP boards don't support 3.3V.
Best you can get is P4 Northwood with hyperthreading. If you like it a bit cooler, you're facing Athlon XP Barton 333FSB. KT333 boards with USB2 and UDMA133 are rare, but KT333 with the old southbridge are common and pretty cheap. As a test board, that shouldn't be a big issue.

acl wrote on 2022-11-07, 16:09:

I've looked for the AM2 daughterboard. And it's like 200$+ alone. So nope. I'll stay with the A643200+ that came with the board.

You don't need the daughterboard to upgrade the CPU.
It also accepts Athlon 64 FX CPUs. But looking at the Ebay prices for those, you're probably better off with the daughterboard, 🤣.
Next best thing would be an Athlon 64 4000+. These can be bought for less than 20 bucks. I would get one of these and store the 939Dual in a box, as test equipment for late AGP cards.

Reply 773 of 1005, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-11-07, 23:05:
Board: Which brand? Which chipset? With split voltage or without? Can it run K6-3+ with BIOS mod? Best case would be something l […]
Show full quote
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-11-07, 21:27:

Board: Which brand? Which chipset? With split voltage or without? Can it run K6-3+ with BIOS mod? Best case would be something like a P55T2P4 Rev.3.X. In that case you're looking at up to 100 bucks. If it can only run i200 max, you're looking at less than 50 bucks.
CPU: I don't collect outside of the Intel/AMD mainstream, so no idea.
RAM: 15-40€. Depending on what it is. Noname 60ns or Micron 50ns makes a big difference.

Board = 586IPVG . It's just a regular socket 7, not a Super.

Extrapolating from current online prices, I guess the 6x86 PR200 CPU might be in the $20 to $50 range. But the above talk regarding super-expensive Cyrix PR166's (materially, not a whole lot different! but perhaps quite different in rarity - I don't know) made me wonder if all gold top CPUs were quickly becoming sought after (?).

--

Anyway - I sold the whole bundle for $70, not long ago. Awesome condition + fully tested. I'd previously advertised it for $90 then $80 for a couple of months, and nobody was interested. Yet to look on ebay, or even in here sometimes, it would seem like we're talking hundreds of dollars. (yes I could have split it for a little more, but that's not really the point..)

My point is the large gulf between The Closed Off World Of Ebay prices, and the usually much more modest prices that trade locally outside-of-ebay. Frankly ebay pricing is often insane, but plenty of people still rely solely upon it as a metric. Understandable, with the volume and availability. But still insanely inflated a lot of the time.

Reply 774 of 1005, by DundyTheCroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I need an advice, a seller not far away from my home has two Voodoo2 cards, one 8Mb and another 12MB, both in working (hope so) condition. He wants 75$ for a card, is it a good price and which one to take?

Reply 775 of 1005, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looking at eBay prices this would be a good price for 8 or 12MB. Of course 12MB is better and in general more expensive. I'd buy both if tested OK.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 776 of 1005, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was watching this socket 8 listing, which sold today. It was for an Asus P/I-P65UP5 dual socket 8, with two 1 MB 200 MHz Pentium Pro CPUs, 512 MB EDO, an Asus PCI-SC875 SCSI card, and an Asus PCI-AV264VT media bus video/sound card. Sold for $1630 USD. Are these so sought after? Perhaps the inclusion of the Asus SCSI and Asus media bus card significantly upped the value?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285025772178

Attachments

Reply 777 of 1005, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wouldn't say they are sought after in the same way 3DFX is but this kit in working condition is highly collectable to the right people, shit I would have grabbed it myself if I had the spare cash, the extra cards that suit the media bus is just a bonus really. Such a lovely looking board that also has a dual Socket 7 board out there too (if you can find one) its just a really nice bit of kit.

Its also pretty dang rare and 1600 USD for a nearly complete collection of this board and its addons in working order is way less than what i expected it to go for.

Also the seller is a retro buff too so that does make it a safer buy than some rando seller on the bay.

Reply 778 of 1005, by libby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

They're a highly sought after board, but I can't see myself spending that amount of dough on one when I have so much access to junk locally. About two years ago I bought some random stuff from a marketplace listing for $100, and among the stuff was that C-P6ND dual PPro daughtercard for the P65UP5. Guy claimed he didn't have the baseboard anymore, pity. It came with a brand new in box black baby AT case which I've been hoarding to sell at the right point in time, which might be now given prices inflating like mad.

There is another version of the P65UP5 which is a full AT baseboard that has an i960 chip and 4 extra PCI slots, intended for use in telco or other industrial systems applications. THAT version of the baseboard I could see myself spending four figures for, as I've only seen one come up for sale once in the last decade.

Bitchin' dual p-pro setup

This thread outlines the larger baseboard, the P65UP8.

P65UP8.png
Filename
P65UP8.png
File size
1.21 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Myself, I own this monstrosity

P6DGH.png
Filename
P6DGH.png
File size
1.04 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The Supermicro P6DGH, the most advanced motherboard ever created in the full AT form factor. 440GX chipset, dual slot 1 P3 support to 600MHz, 2GB RAM max, i960, AGP, LVD SCSI, RAIDPort. It is utterly pointless and large and took me a while to find a case for, but I scored a 4U rackmount case that happened to be full AT, to throw it in for maximum fun. Not sure if I could say it's worth a thousand plus dollars to assemble such a rare and massive system, but those of us who do manage to do so are probably among a tiny few who have one running in this day and age.

Where did I find mine: a wiredforservice listing for about $100, ugh. I felt dirty.

Reply 779 of 1005, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
libby wrote on 2022-11-17, 02:24:

Where did I find mine: a wiredforservice listing for about $100, ugh. I felt dirty.

lol, that is sinking low. But his once ridiculous prices are starting to look more in line with other offerings.