VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by bbking67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sure this has come up before, but the latest build of DOSBox on the official page is from 2019... over 3 years ago. Is there a fork of DOSBox or nightly build that I should be using to get the best possible DOS gaming experience?

I as thinking of trying DOSBox-x, but i dont really need to emulate windows 98.

Anyway, just some nice recommendations for the best possible compatibility, graphics and sound. One thing that is important to me is CGA Composite support as well and Tandy emulation. I'm sure there is other stuff out there too but my eyes need to avoid CGA 4 color modes at all costs.

Reply 1 of 4, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know, sorry, but I do that think it might be a good idea to have a stickied thread in this (DOS General) forum, listing the recommended DOSBox builds, and their download links, along with a short paragraph for each build explaining it's features and advantages and who might want to use it.

Reply 3 of 4, by bbking67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I couldn’t find a working svn build. I played with iOS OC staging, ece and dosbos-x. For now I have settled on dosbo-x because of the nice user interface and comprehensive cga modes… again I know nothing but so far it’s working for me. I’d love to get more feedback on these builds and their strengths and real world practicality.

Can I use regular front ends with these? I tried dfend reloaded with staging with zero success.