VOGONS

indiana jones & fate of atlantis roland

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

I have a live! card on windowsxp and I've been playing Fate of atlantis with the soundblaster option for the past decade or so 😀
I'm wondering if there's a way to make use of the roland/gerenal midi options in the install menu.
When I use vdm with the game, I get some weird instruments playing (like pianos, harpsichords etc..). When I use vdm + the mt2gm mapping I get a similar result, probably half-correct.
So.. is it possible to play the game with roland while using a gm synth?
I've got the cd talkie version of the game btw

Reply 1 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tried the floppy version... Using the MT32->GM mode in VDMSound 2.0.4 + update1 + launchpad sounds pretty decent.

You didn't mention what kind of MIDI sythesizer you're playing the music on. I have a SB Live and I'm using a 32mb GM/GS soundfont. I have a 512kb MT-32 soundfont but it sounds a lot worse when I use that with Fate of Atlantis and VDMSound in normal mode (i.e. passing the MT-32 MIDI straight to my MIDI device). You might try using different soundfonts/soundbanks or MIDI devices.

Someday I'd like to just buy an MT-32 and/or Sound Canvas from eBay 😀

Reply 3 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think that's the case. I think they accounted for the needed instrument mapping and balance in the soundfont. I don't see why they couldnt in any case. Besides, if you're right then there'd be no advantage to using the MT32 soundfont, as it certainly doesnt sound any good compared to most GM soundfonts.

Reply 5 of 7, by psz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HunterZ:

The problem comes from instrument mapping.

GM has Piano, Bright Piano, Elec Piano, etc in that order.

MT32 has something like 3 pianos THEN Bright piano, THEN Elec, etc. Plus other instruements are in totally different places. You COULDN'T (easily) map the instruments "correctly" to GM.

But, yes, you're right, using the MT32 wouldn't make sense as newer GM soundfonts sound better ;->