VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BreehcNicdoll

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have installed Windows 3.1 in Dosbox-X. I want to run a game that requires 256 colours, so I downloaded the driver S3.

It installs correctly, but the mousepointer becomes a big black square. How do I fix this?

/* B.N. */

Reply 1 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi there, I remember that problem..
Re: Links in Windows 3.1 Guide broken

Please try a regular Trio32/64 driver, if you installed that S3 Vision 864 driver (S3-VGA_864141B5.zip).

The S3 Vision was the predecessor of the S3 Trio series, which was functionally similar.
Using it was common in the old days of DOSBox, afaik.

Good luck! 🙂

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 6, by BreehcNicdoll

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2022-11-24, 08:37:
Hi there, I remember that problem.. Re: Links in Windows 3.1 Guide broken […]
Show full quote

Hi there, I remember that problem..
Re: Links in Windows 3.1 Guide broken

Please try a regular Trio32/64 driver, if you installed that S3 Vision 864 driver (S3-VGA_864141B5.zip).

The S3 Vision was the predecessor of the S3 Trio series, which was functionally similar.
Using it was common in the old days of DOSBox, afaik.

Good luck! 🙂

Okay, so I downloaded S3_Trio64+... from somewhere, and installed it. When I reboot, the screen is all black, regardless of which resolution I choose.

Is there a particular version you recommend? Maybe you even have a link.

/* B.N. */

Reply 3 of 6, by BreehcNicdoll

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I followed a guide on installing Windows 3x in Dosbox-X, and I think the determining factor was setting machine=svga_s3trio64.

Now I need to work out an issue with Quicktime, but that's another story. Thanks for the help.

/* B.N. */

Reply 4 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BreehcNicdoll wrote on 2022-11-25, 14:35:

I followed a guide on installing Windows 3x in Dosbox-X, and I think the determining factor was setting machine=svga_s3trio64.

Now I need to work out an issue with Quicktime, but that's another story. Thanks for the help.

You're welcome! ^^

If you like, you can try out different graphics adapters, too!

QuickTime supports the ET-4000 directly, if memory serves.
Re: Are there any relevant games that run on Windows 3.x, but not on 4.x?

What's also nice for video playback is DCI support.
The Xing MPEG Player and some versions of Video for Windows do support that.

Have a look at win31.de - that site has some of the latest Win 3.1 drivers and an OEM version (?) of Video for Windows v1.1..
- The graphics card maker ELSA was known to support DCI, AFAIK. Maybe their S3 drivers (OEM) are worth a try, too.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 6, by BreehcNicdoll

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2022-11-25, 15:06:
You're welcome! ^^ […]
Show full quote
BreehcNicdoll wrote on 2022-11-25, 14:35:

You're welcome! ^^

If you like, you can try out different graphics adapters, too!

QuickTime supports the ET-4000 directly, if memory serves.
Re: Are there any relevant games that run on Windows 3.x, but not on 4.x?

What's also nice for video playback is DCI support.
The Xing MPEG Player and some versions of Video for Windows do support that.

Have a look at win31.de - that site has some of the latest Win 3.1 drivers and an OEM version (?) of Video for Windows v1.1..
- The graphics card maker ELSA was known to support DCI, AFAIK. Maybe their S3 drivers (OEM) are worth a try, too.

Oh, thanks for the bonus info. I am just glad I got it to work, but I shall experiment with these things.

I got Quicktime to work, by the way, because I downloaded version 2.1.2 or something, but I love experimenting.

/* B.N. */

Reply 6 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BreehcNicdoll wrote on 2022-11-26, 01:19:

Oh, thanks for the bonus info. I am just glad I got it to work, but I shall experiment with these things.

I got Quicktime to work, by the way, because I downloaded version 2.1.2 or something, but I love experimenting.

You're welcome. I'm happy you got it to work. 🙂

BreehcNicdoll wrote on 2022-11-26, 01:19:

[..] but I love experimenting.

That's the spirit! 😃 I think that's cool of you, btw. 😎
People who keep their curiosity and dedication are an enrichment to all of us.

Best wishes, Jo22

//My video channel//