VOGONS

First post, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello lovely people,

I was gifted an unknown ISA Card from UMC, I'll go with the gpu model name, UMC UM85C405AF.
http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/news/item … -umc-um85c405af

I had some artifacting, decided to clean contacts. There were cracked solder joints on vram and size selector.
I removed all socketed chips and used some deox spray. After that no boot, no beeps either, detected but not working.

I found the problem, the chip UM9502 was mounted backwards. 🙁
Probably I mistook the dot for the indent of pin1. [head banging the wall]

Couldn't locate the datasheet but looking at other cards there are alternatives.
1. ICS2494N ----> probably my only choice
2. PALCE 16V8H-15PC/4 (but this is a programmable and good luck finding one + programmer + program diagram)

BIOS I can't read or write as I can't figure out what it is, UM23C256A-4227. Tried all same size with TL886 and always has a pin1 error.

Basically I'm looking for a substitute of the UM9502 and the an EEPROM to check if the bios is toast (guess not though).

Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• ISA UMC.jpg
    Filename
    ISA UMC.jpg
    File size
    1.38 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 1 of 6, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The BIOS is a 256 kBit mask ROM. You should be able to read it with any 27c256 setting - but you need to disable device ID verification.

The UM82c4010 on the picture in the VGA museum is obviously pin compatible to an ICS2494, which is a manufacturer programmable clock generator. But there are a lot of different editions of that chip with different programmed clocks. If you install an ICS2494 with a wrong set of clocks, some or all video modes will run at wrong refresh rates. The super VGA documentation collection "VGADOC" states about the ICS2494: "special versions such as the [...] UMC UM9502 exist", which might indicate that this chip uses a custom set of clocks that's not in any kind of standard ICS2494.

Reply 2 of 6, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mkarcher wrote on 2022-11-29, 20:10:

The BIOS is a 256 kBit mask ROM. You should be able to read it with any 27c256 setting - but you need to disable device ID verification.

The UM82c4010 on the picture in the VGA museum is obviously pin compatible to an ICS2494, which is a manufacturer programmable clock generator. But there are a lot of different editions of that chip with different programmed clocks. If you install an ICS2494 with a wrong set of clocks, some or all video modes will run at wrong refresh rates. The super VGA documentation collection "VGADOC" states about the ICS2494: "special versions such as the [...] UMC UM9502 exist", which might indicate that this chip uses a custom set of clocks that's not in any kind of standard ICS2494.

I need an exact match to replace this 9502. That sucks.
Now I have to change the title with "Do you have a spare UM9502?"

Thanks for the explanation.

Reply 3 of 6, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

if that picture is of how it works at this point then your chip works, mounting backwards usually fries totally and there would be no output without proper clocks
if anything I would look for another ram

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 4 of 6, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-11-30, 03:47:

if that picture is of how it works at this point then your chip works, mounting backwards usually fries totally and there would be no output without proper clocks
if anything I would look for another ram

It is of how it worked before I made the mistake.

After it's no output at all.

Some ram chips had cracked solder joints, I guess it was probably that too.

After some research I found that this video card wasn't great, budget model.
I'm not crying about it.

Edit: I just put it back in to see if a miracle, but still dead. I see that the crystal has one lead with 3.04V, the other is 0.00V.
Maybe it says something to you.

Last edited by Nexxen on 2022-11-30, 17:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 6, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can still try a ICS2494 from a different card. Many of those chips have the two standard VGA clocks (25 MHz and 28 MHz) as clock 0 and 1, so standard modes would work at the correct refresh rates, even if the clock chip is not as expected by the BIOS.

Reply 6 of 6, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mkarcher wrote on 2022-11-30, 14:14:

You can still try a ICS2494 from a different card. Many of those chips have the two standard VGA clocks (25 MHz and 28 MHz) as clock 0 and 1, so standard modes would work at the correct refresh rates, even if the clock chip is not as expected by the BIOS.

If you know where I can find one 😀
I'll keep it there trying to locate one, maybe in time...

It's easy to help if you have the knowledge, thanks to you too.