VOGONS

First post, by captain_koloth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all:

I'm trying to downgrade an HP Elitebook 8560w from Windows 10 to XP so that I can have almost maximum theoretical possible hardware that supports XP (for portable gaming anyway). However, I keep getting a BSOD during the XP installation process. I'm reasonably certain that what's happening is that I'm not slipstreaming the correct SATA storage drivers for XP in with nLite so that XP doesn't see my HDD, but I have not found any guides as to how to pick the correct ones. I have found some old forum threads that will direct me to a package with maybe two dozen XP SATA drivers, but it's not clear to me which ones are appropriate. I have tried including all of them but that just leads to a BSOD. Any ideas on how I can proceed here? (And yes, the 8560w does officially support XP, but the drivers I've found are generally in packages meant to be installed once the OS is already installed).

Reply 1 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah you really can't just throw a bunch of HD controller drivers into XP and expect it to work proper during install. There is a specific way to inject the "OEM" Controller driver into the pre-install boot part which is slightly different than general slipstreaming of drivers. What You need is the Intel QM67 F6 driver for AHCI. You could also change the HD controller type to ATA or IDE in the BIOS and then it should install XP fine as generic IDE controller,
then you can install the Intel Rapid Storage named sp52144.exe . I did similar, changed AHCI to IDE on my Dell Vostro that came with Vista or Win 7 but wanted XP.
added: Intel Rapid Storage V10.1 should work to slipstream the OEM F6 AHCI driver using nLite, attached. Just include the XP driver that matches your XP (32bit or 64bit) do not include the others....
edit: thanks Gerwin, I kept calling it ACHI 🤣

Attachments

• Filename
    Intel_qm67_F6_achi.zip
    File size
    1.02 MiB
    Downloads
    71 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Horun on 2022-12-01, 02:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 11, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If the board has an IDE-mode option in the BIOS, then you can install Windows XP without such. Then later install the AHCI driver from within Windows XP**, afterwards switch to AHCI-mode in the BIOS.

Though, I remember Windows XP install lockups of different kinds with such 2011 hardware, and sometimes resorted to Ghosting a somewhat matching and fresh Disk-image from another system.

** there is an unofficial utility ahcitool02_2_x86.zip to make this easy, though it is in Japanese language.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 3 of 11, by Jaron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gerwin wrote on 2022-12-01, 01:49:

If the board has an IDE-mode option in the BIOS, then you can install Windows XP without such. Then later install the AHCI driver from within Windows XP**, afterwards switch to AHCI-mode in the BIOS.

Though, I remember Windows XP install lockups of different kinds with such 2011 hardware, and sometimes resorted to Ghosting a somewhat matching and fresh Disk-image from another system.

** there is an unofficial utility ahcitool02_2_x86.zip to make this easy, though it is in Japanese language.

Nah, you can switch IDE to AHCI without using fancy tools. I've done it on a few systems ( though never a laptop, so I can't say for certain the OEM peculiarities won't cause problems ).

1. Finish install as normal in IDE mode.
  2. Download/copy the storage controller drivers to someplace easy to reach, like C:\SATA\ or something. Make sure you get the XXXahci.inf, not the regular IDE drivers ( we've all made stupid mistakes like this before 😉 ).
  3. Boot into Safe Mode.
  4. Go into Device Manager and look at the storage controllers. If it's using device specific ones, change so it uses generic Windows drivers. It will probably want you to reboot. If so, boot back into Safe Mode.
  5. If it's using generic drivers, go through the Update Driver process and manually point it to the driver folder you made earlier. Reboot
  6. Before it boots, go into your BIOS/UEFI and change mode from IDE to AHCI. Save changes and exit the BIOS/UEFI
  7. Make sure the computer boots into Safe Mode again for the first time on AHCI mode

There are plenty of other ways to do it. Some people prefer registry edits. I don't. You probably don't need Safe Mode, but I think it helps. I've even done it once where I uninstalled all the storage drivers directly, but I can't remember the exact process I used.

I was banging my head on a wall for three days trying to figure out why my XP driver slipstreaming wasn't working on my Z68 mboard a few weeks ago. Finally gave up, installed from CD in IDE mode, and switched it.

Reply 4 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You do know there is no real performance gain using AHCI over IDE when proper drivers are installed on older computers using older HD's. Many older SATA did not support full NCQ. If not then no performance advantage and it rarely made much difference under real world use of those older systems.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 11, by captain_koloth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-12-01, 01:33:
Yeah you really can't just throw a bunch of HD controller drivers into XP and expect it to work proper during install. There is […]
Show full quote

Yeah you really can't just throw a bunch of HD controller drivers into XP and expect it to work proper during install. There is a specific way to inject the "OEM" Controller driver into the pre-install boot part which is slightly different than general slipstreaming of drivers. What You need is the Intel QM67 F6 driver for AHCI. You could also change the HD controller type to ATA or IDE in the BIOS and then it should install XP fine as generic IDE controller,
then you can install the Intel Rapid Storage named sp52144.exe . I did similar, changed AHCI to IDE on my Dell Vostro that came with Vista or Win 7 but wanted XP.
added: Intel Rapid Storage V10.1 should work to slipstream the OEM F6 AHCI driver using nLite, attached. Just include the XP driver that matches your XP (32bit or 64bit) do not include the others....
edit: thanks Gerwin, I kept calling it ACHI 🤣

Thanks, this worked! I had no idea you could change this in BIOS.

Reply 6 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great ! Glad your BIOS had that option. Must be Nice having an i7 in a laptop of that era 😁

Reply 7 of 11, by Jaron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-12-01, 03:17:

You do know there is no real performance gain using AHCI over IDE when proper drivers are installed on older computers using older HD's. Many older SATA did not support full NCQ. If not then no performance advantage and it rarely made much difference under real world use of those older systems.

My OCD takes offense at that notion. The devices must be set up properly! 😉

Reply 8 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jaron wrote on 2022-12-01, 05:37:
Horun wrote on 2022-12-01, 03:17:

My OCD takes offense at that notion. The devices must be set up properly! 😉

Same! I know I'm generating more work for myself needlessly but IDE mode just feels like the cheap and easy way out.

Reply 9 of 11, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ran into this problem on my latest desktop XP build. The intel board came with the drivers on a floppy but the board didn't have the
floppy drive connections, go figure! Tried the Nlite/slip streaming bit but kept striking out so ended up getting an external USB floppy
drive and it was smooth sailing from then on out.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 10 of 11, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jaron wrote on 2022-12-01, 03:04:

4 - Go into Device Manager and look at the storage controllers. If it's using device specific ones, change so it uses generic Windows drivers. It will probably want you to reboot. If so, boot back into Safe Mode.
5 - If it's using generic drivers, go through the Update Driver process and manually point it to the driver folder you made earlier. Reboot

AFAIK with this procedure the AHCI driver is forced to the PCI ID of the IDE device, which is not quite right. It will malfunction when IDE mode is enabled in the BIOS again.
Of course I have not tested this, because I always used a different procedure on my systems (mentioned tool or registry adjustment). It is merely what I understand from this article:
OS/2 Museum: Booting Windows XP, Or Not

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 11 of 11, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Intel's AHCI drivers always shipped with a 'prep' script that installs the driver and assigns it to (what I assume is) the correct device ID (and also enables the AHCI service).
Then, at next boot, you switch from IDE to AHCI, and it should already find the driver matching that device ID.

This is how I've done in the past on a few system, and it guarantees that both IDE and AHCI mode remain functional. If you slipstream the AHCI driver during initial install, Windows will not enable the 'pciide' service, and then, should you ever want to switch to IDE, you'd have to go through a similar process in reverse.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys