VOGONS

First post, by dewster221

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone. this is my first post here. looking for some help. I have googled around and haven't found anything on the topic. I have a HP Vectra 486/25VL with ISA only. I purchased a Diamond Stealth 24 S3 P86C801 graphics card. the computer is running Windows 95. I am having trouble with the installation of the graphics card. with the card installed, I get no video, both from the on board graphics and the graphics card. It doesn't look like anywhere in the bios is an option to disable on board graphics. the ISA lots are on a backplane and I have a sound card working so it isn't the backplane. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on what the issue might be?

Reply 1 of 6, by dewster221

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dewster221 wrote on 2022-11-07, 15:59:

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on what the issue might be?

obviously there is a conflict with the on board graphics and card. If BIOS version is needed, I will provide that as soon as possible but I do know that is it a AMIBIOS and is very basic

Reply 2 of 6, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some Vectra of this era have a switch to disable the onboard VGA. It is a series of switch in a red package. on the MB. If present, the switch to set to OFF should be labeled VGAEN (ON by default obviously).

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.

Reply 4 of 6, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dewster221 wrote on 2022-11-07, 18:34:

thank you so much! I will look into that as soon as I can.

As per @Datadrainer & the HP Service Handbook (page 160 onwards) - https://theretroweb.com/motherboard/manual/19 … 47041054379.pdf