VOGONS

First post, by MrDeeWilliams

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! I made a post on here earlier this year about an issue that I had, but I was in a very stressed state then. I've since rebuilt the PC that I had then and I'm facing the same issue that I had.

It's a Super Socket 7 build and I'll provide the specs later in this post. With my Yamaha Audician 32 Plus sound card with a Serdaco X2GS wavetable synthesis daughterboard, a persistent motherboard beep is sounded when I play Duke Nukem 3D or Descent. Also, the activity LED on my PC case flashes when this happens. I'm certain that this isn't isolated to those two games. When I run the sound tests for those games, this problem does not occur when I test the music card, the Serdaco daughterboard. It occurs when I test the sound effects card (the Yamaha card itself). I live in an apartment, so I can't have the motherboard speaker doing this. Thus, I've routed the speaker to my Yamaha card.

Would anyone here know why this is or how to fix it? Is it an interrupt issue?

I don't think that it's a memory issue. I've set my RAM to 2T where I could in the BIOS and I get through Memtest86+ without errors for a good amount of time. I don't think that it's an overheating issue, either. I have two thin 120mm Noctua fans in the case as well as a CPU cooler fan on top of the heatsink. I plan to buy more 120mm Noctua fans. I've disabled all hardware monitoring within the BIOS, so I don't see how it can be related to fan monitoring.

I know that I'm using a beta motherboard BIOS, but the beta BIOS allows me to use all 120 GB of my solid state drive.

I have a Gravis Ultrasound Classic rev. 3.74. Siemens HYB514256A-70 memory modules are arriving tomorrow and I'd like to use it with this build.

I am using this script located here to use my two PCI sound cards together in this build: Win98 hardware profiles manage a3d.dll with different sound cards

Thank you so much.

Motherboard: Asus P5A Rev. 1.04 (Latest Beta BIOS v1011.005)
CPU: AMD K6-III+ 550ACZ
RAM: 128 MB Micron PC100 SDRAM
Graphics Card: Voodoo5 5500
PCI Sound Card 1: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
PCI Sound Card 2: Diamond Monster Sound MX300 w/ Serdaco DreamBlaster S2 (I plan to switch to a Serdaco X2GS)
ISA Sound Card: Yamaha Audician 32 Plus w/ Serdashop DreamBlaster X2GS
Boot Drive: Sandisk SSD Plus 120GB w/ StarTech IDE to SD adapter
Optical disc drive: Samsung SH-S812M with firmware version SB05 (modded RPC-1 firmware)
Case: Thermaltake Commander MS-I (I don't recommend this case for a retro build. It has three 5.25-inch bays and a 3.5-inch bay, but my PCI and ISA cards are slanted. There is a gap between them and the exterior of the case.)

Edit: I was routing the speaker to CD audio. I did not yet realize this when muting CD audio muted the motherboard speaker sounds, but seeing an older thread on these forums had me see that those 4 pins are, in fact, CD audio, and that I can connect a CD audio connector to those four pins.

The solution is to purchase an Orpheus 2 LT because I have seen that it has two pins for routing a motherboard speaker and it has a dedicated CD audio connector. Thankfully, I have filled out the interest form for an Orpheus 2 LT and I have been told that they will be available for purchase early next year.

Reply 1 of 7, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a very strange problem, and I have seen it mentioned only once before. So far, I am not aware of a solution having been found. The interesting fact is that the person in the other case is using a P5A-B. The brief discussion is here. Do you happen to be the owner of that account as well?

You mentioned:

MrDeeWilliams wrote on 2022-12-14, 04:59:

I've set my RAM to 2T where I could in the BIOS and I get through Memtest86+ without errors for a good amount of time.

What do you mean by "a good amount of time"? Did you enable all of the tests via the menu? Does it complete them all without error? If not, your memory may not be able to operate error-free at 2T timing, and it may be worth slowing that down (for testing, at least).

Do I understand correctly that your two PCI sound cards work correctly, but the ISA sound card does not? In any case, I would start with the very basics: remove all non-essential cards, leaving only a video card and a floppy drive connected other than the ISA sound card (even the SSD and optical drive can go for now). Have a diskette with just bare-bones DOS, UNISOUND (assuming your card is compatible), and a few tools to test sound output. For instance, you can get the old Ad Lib FM test, attached to this thread, as well as my basic WSS_TEST.EXE, described here.

If that still gives problems, try with a basic PCI or even ISA video card instead. See if maybe some of that experimentation can get you closer to a working system.

Reply 2 of 7, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MrDeeWilliams wrote on 2022-12-14, 04:59:

The solution is to purchase an Orpheus 2 LT because I have seen that it has two pins for routing a motherboard speaker and it has a dedicated CD audio connector. Thankfully, I have filled out the interest form for an Orpheus 2 LT and I have been told that they will be available for purchase early next year.

It is worth pointing out that Orpheus II LT may not be the solution that you are hoping for. This sort of noise from the PC speaker is definitely not normal, and is likely a symptom of a more significant problem. Just finding a way to silence it probably isn't a reasonable solution. Furthermore, if the other similar discussion is any example, the noise produced by the PC speaker is just one symptom of many. I would suggest trying to troubleshoot this a little more thoroughly before spending any more money, unless you are sure that you will have another use for the card, and will not hold it against its designers if it doesn't work the way you would hope in this particular system.

Reply 3 of 7, by MrDeeWilliams

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you so much. I didn't see your messages until now. I am not the owner of that other account. I do not own an Asus P5A-B. I will try your suggestions at a later time. Thank you so much for the feedback.

Reply 4 of 7, by MrDeeWilliams

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had enabled all of the tests in MemTest86+ and it had run at least one run without error. Nonetheless, this issue had persisted setting all of the timings to 3T. I tried just removing the Audigy card. The issue had persisted. So I then reinserted the Audigy card and I tried the tests that I was given in this thread, WSS_TEST, as well as the AdLib and Sound Blaster tests, after having initialized my card with UNISOUND. I heard audio from all three tests; however, my issue had NOT occurred. To clarify, this was with all hardware in the PC.

Additionally, I can play games such as Rayman in MS-DOS mode using the Sound Blaster audio just fine and not have this error occur. However, when using UNISOUND instead of SASETUP and thus, installing the Yamaha drivers in Windows, I heard one beep from the motherboard speaker when testing the sound effects card in Duke Nukem 3D. It was not a persistent beep.

Edit: Ultimately, I believe that the solution for me is to build a dedicated DOS PC because what I'm trying to do is just not going to happen having all of those cards inside the PC. I added a Gravis Ultrasound Classic now and I'm having difficulty getting Rayman to work properly. It worked fine without the Gravis Ultrasound.

Reply 5 of 7, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrDeeWilliams wrote on 2023-01-01, 08:46:

I had enabled all of the tests in MemTest86+ and it had run at least one run without error. Nonetheless, this issue had persisted setting all of the timings to 3T. I tried just removing the Audigy card. The issue had persisted. So I then reinserted the Audigy card and I tried the tests that I was given in this thread, WSS_TEST, as well as the AdLib and Sound Blaster tests, after having initialized my card with UNISOUND. I heard audio from all three tests; however, my issue had NOT occurred. To clarify, this was with all hardware in the PC.

Additionally, I can play games such as Rayman in MS-DOS mode using the Sound Blaster audio just fine and not have this error occur. However, when using UNISOUND instead of SASETUP and thus, installing the Yamaha drivers in Windows, I heard one beep from the motherboard speaker when testing the sound effects card in Duke Nukem 3D. It was not a persistent beep.

Have you tried reversing the connection of the PC speaker? Just a shot in the dark.

Edit: Ultimately, I believe that the solution for me is to build a dedicated DOS PC because what I'm trying to do is just not going to happen having all of those cards inside the PC. I added a Gravis Ultrasound Classic now and I'm having difficulty getting Rayman to work properly. It worked fine without the Gravis Ultrasound.

This also happens with DOS Quake and Chasm: The Rift where it would always use the GUS instead of the SB. Try removing the ULTRASND environment variable temporarily as a workaround.

Using multiple sound cards on one computer (especially with that many you have installed) requires a bit of technical knowledge. 😉

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 6 of 7, by MrDeeWilliams

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks so much for your response. I don't know how to quote excerpts on these forums, I'll firstly say that I've been tired lately due to a personal circumstance, so I meant "However, when using UNISOUND instead of SASETUP and thus, NOT installing the Yamaha drivers in Windows, I heard one beep from the motherboard speaker when testing the sound effects card in Duke Nukem 3D."

I really don't think it's the motherboard speaker being reversed. While I looked it up and saw that the red wire should be connected to +5V, the persistent beep when using the Yamaha drivers and SETUPSA had occurred when routing the motherboard speaker to the Yamaha card. I'm aware that I have not checked if the single beep when using UNISOUND goes away when reversing the connection of the motherboard speaker, I'm now averse to trying any potential solutions. I want to buy a new case because my Thermaltake case is horrible, and I want to build a "DOS-only" Pentium MMX 233 PC. I have a spare Nvidia TNT2 PCI with 32 MB of RAM from Japan.

Regarding Rayman, that was exactly what it was. The GUS is always being used. I'd like fewer workarounds, though, and a more pleasant life, albeit with a little more clutter where I live. I couldn't get games from Epic to work properly with the Gravis Ultrasound and that was very disappointing.

Reply 7 of 7, by MrDeeWilliams

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm aware that this is an old post. I wasn't feeling as well as I would've liked to have felt in January of this year.

The truth is that I don't have space for a Pentium MMX 233 PC as well as my Super Socket 7 PC. I tried using my Nvidia TNT2 PCI card to see if the problem with the persistent motherboard beep could have possibly been usage of the AGP slot with my Voodoo card. I'm aware that the Voodoo3, 4, and 5 cards don't use any AGP features. Using a PCI graphics card did not solve my issue. As shown to me earlier in this thread, the common denominator between my issue and the issue that the user linked to a few posts ago was an Asus board.

I tried using the latest stable BIOS instead of the latest beta BIOS for my board and my 120-gigabyte solid state drive could not be detected without shrinking the partition. Additionally, my CPU was detected as a Pentium MMX. Thus, I went back to the latest beta BIOS.

Whenever this issue happens, the activity LED on my PC case starts rapidly blinking.

When I'll have the ability to, I'll purchase a Gigabyte GA-5AX to replace my Asus P5A. I will report in to see if my issue is fixed after that.

I made three separate shortcuts on my Windows 98 desktop. One was a GUS + BLASTER combination, one was GUS-only disabling my Yamaha Audician 32 Plus using UNISOUND, and one was BLASTER-only. I wish I could play the Epic games that require two free IRQs with my GUS Classic, but I can't seem to get sound working properly in them no matter how hard I try with my setup.

I want to make use of Glide, so when I rebuild my PC using the Gigabyte board, I will use a Voodoo card.