IMG_20221129_013446.jpg

thanks

I think it might be one of these

https://www.clubedohardware.com.br/forums/top … hipset-mvp131a/

whose driver might be

https://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=28998
mpegpro.zip

EXDT: Looks like I am likely wrong.

Hi, thanks for info! sadly i cant test, the install is not working since two files are corrupt

Reply 1243 of 1403, by almonjr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did some research and I'm in a conundrum on capturing VGA using an VGA -> HDMI -> HDMI capture card.

I have a Blackmagic Intensity 4k Pro that only likes specific resolutions, 720p, 1080p, and 2160p at various refresh rates.
I have a Sewell Hammerhead VGA to HDMI adapter, which is described as outputting various input VGA resolutions to 1080p.

The Intensity 4k Pro refuses to recognize the Hammerhead. I did get the Hammerhead to display the HDMI output to my ultrawide monitor... once. After some troubleshooting with cable lengths, VGA adapters, and input resolutions, I can't get anything from the Hammerhead. It might be broken. It's discontinued and bought it used off of eBay. For the time being I won't be able to test on another monitor, so I am eager for input or advice.

Has anyone used the combination of Hammerhead VGA -> 1080p -> Blackmagic Intensity Pro? I may try another solution if anyone has a VGA scaler that can be forced to 1080p.

Cheers,
AlmonJr

Reply 1244 of 1403, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
almonjr wrote on 2022-12-22, 06:17:
I did some research and I'm in a conundrum on capturing VGA using an VGA -> HDMI -> HDMI capture card. […]
Show full quote

I did some research and I'm in a conundrum on capturing VGA using an VGA -> HDMI -> HDMI capture card.

I have a Blackmagic Intensity 4k Pro that only likes specific resolutions, 720p, 1080p, and 2160p at various refresh rates.
I have a Sewell Hammerhead VGA to HDMI adapter, which is described as outputting various input VGA resolutions to 1080p.

The Intensity 4k Pro refuses to recognize the Hammerhead. I did get the Hammerhead to display the HDMI output to my ultrawide monitor... once. After some troubleshooting with cable lengths, VGA adapters, and input resolutions, I can't get anything from the Hammerhead. It might be broken. It's discontinued and bought it used off of eBay. For the time being I won't be able to test on another monitor, so I am eager for input or advice.

Has anyone used the combination of Hammerhead VGA -> 1080p -> Blackmagic Intensity Pro? I may try another solution if anyone has a VGA scaler that can be forced to 1080p.

Cheers,
AlmonJr

The Hammerhead seems to be a generic VGA to HDMI converter, NOT a scaler. So essentially what gets in, also gets out. And then the Intensity 4K Pro has to deal with a resolution it cant support and a refresh rate it cant support. The only special thing seems to be that it also supports S-Video (which wont help you capturing VGA). So yeah, you would need a completely different solution.
As was stated in this thread before, either a direct VGA capture card, whereas only the Datapath VisionRGB seems to give decent and consistent results, but you would need to find a used one or pay a hefty pricetag of over 1000€ or you need to buy a scaler. Most widespread is an OSSC with a max resolution of 720p. This comes with 60Hz then and can be captured by any HDMI capturing devices.

Reply 1246 of 1403, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@Kordanor

The OSSC is not a scaler, it will digitize and either pass through or line multiply (for example, convert 640x480 to 1280x960 by doubling the number of pixels on each axis). Also, the OSSC does not have a max resolution of 720p. Finally the OSSC does not convert vertical refresh rates (70Hz in will be 70Hz out, for example) and this is the case both whether line multiplying or not. Are sure you are not thinking about a different device ?

Reply 1247 of 1403, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, for this purpose the OSSC does act as upscaler. Down to semantics I guess?
I dont own one. The 720p were from videogameperfection description, but down in the specs it actually states it can also do 1080p and 1600×1200.
But most importantly: Yeah...I totally missed that it doesnt reduce it to 60 Hz.
I checked my list I did 2 years ago at Re: VGA Capture Thread and you did mention that in the reply that there might be issues without mention the refresh rate specifically, but yeah...I must have missed that. Well...in that case OSSC is not helping here, at all.

Reply 1249 of 1403, by almonjr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@darry, @Kordanor, thanks for the quick responses! Sounds like I needed to do better research and not trust the taglines I found on various sites.

I'll look through this thread and see if I find anything else that might work.

I have a Corio C2 scaler, C2-610A with DVI input and output which might be a solution. Configuring it is quite a pain and would need reconfiguration for each resolution.

RetroTink 5X works nicely with the intensity pro, but I haven't found any documentation on it supporting any resolutions commonly found on retro computing. I reached out to Mike Chi to double check before I built another SCART cable and sync combiner, but no response yet.

Reply 1251 of 1403, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Audio is likely the easiest thing on old PCs. You can juse use the lineout and plug it into your line in. And that's it. Same connectors now as you had 30 years ago. If you are using speakers as well, you might want to get a audio splitter though, but these can be had for less than 10€

Reply 1252 of 1403, by almonjr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update from my end. I picked up an Extron RGB 300A and it scales properly and tested on an HDMI monitor. The Blackmagic Intensity 4K Pro still refuses to see it (with every possible setting on the Extron). While troubleshooting that is likely out of scope for this thread, just curious, for anyone also using the RGB 300A to capture, what HDMI capture card are you using? I'll likely try another card.

Reply 1254 of 1403, by almonjr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks @NightSprinter, I'll try one of those out!

Kinda curious, what requirements from NTSC/PAL standard are there if the scaler outputs 1080p at 60 frames a second and the Blackmagic supports 1080p at 60 frames? My only other guess and attempts at making it work were adjusting the colorspace but both RGB/YUV resulted in the same effect.

Edit: Got a response from Blackmagic support

As for it not showing an image, my guess would be an issue with the handshake, as we have seen that there are sometimes devices that our products just do not play well with for some reason.

My only guess is that it may be related to HDCP but I'm not an expert on this. In my testing the HDMI splitter that was reported to strip HDCP also didn't make any difference in capture. It might require some kind of acknowledgement in the handshake process. Looks like I'll try another capture card.

Reply 1255 of 1403, by NightSprinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't think it's HDCP, as why would a VGA to HDMI scaler add it? I think it's more that Blackmagic devices require an EXACT 5oHz PAL o4 59.97Hz NTSC signal. Any deviation and it's jusr "nope!". It's why for anything outside of those two strict numbers, the folks on System11's SHMUPS forums never recommend BM devices.

Reply 1256 of 1403, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have been using my Magewell HDMI Pro Capture for a while now and it has worked well with everything and every system thrown at it (via OSSC), but I just discovered recently that it really doesn't like the '70Hz' modes of a Matrox Millennium II.

Those are modes like when running Speedsys, Doom, Quake etc from Phil's dos benchmark pack.

It's definitely the Matrox as if I pull the card out and swap it with several other PCI cards and re-run it captures fine - otherwise I get a flickering, broken up screen.

Something I have also noticed recently is that my older OSSC doesn't like doing 2x mode with 480/525p mode and Feeds the Magewell a signal it doesn't like. Perhaps it needs a firmware update?

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 1257 of 1403, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NightSprinter wrote on 2023-01-09, 21:21:

I don't think it's HDCP, as why would a VGA to HDMI scaler add it? I think it's more that Blackmagic devices require an EXACT 5oHz PAL o4 59.97Hz NTSC signal. Any deviation and it's jusr "nope!". It's why for anything outside of those two strict numbers, the folks on System11's SHMUPS forums never recommend BM devices.

As someone who's written code against the Decklink SDK I can say there's way too much about their code written around HD-SDI such that even if they make a card that can capture HDMI or other sources, the source must basically match HD-SDI frame/field rates and timing, and HD-SDI has a very specific list of modes and timings as the standard. I'm not even sure it can even support HDMI if it isn't sending YCbCr data instead of the more common RGB data that video cards send.

I've had better luck with a laptop with an HDMI port if I just use an external HDMI to HD-SDI converter instead of relying on a card with an HDMI input directly on it.

DOSBox-X project: more emulation better accuracy.
DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 1258 of 1403, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only way to make my Intensity 4K Pro co-operate on HDMI with most things, was to use Aten VC160A VGA to DVI (and then passive DVI to HDMI adapter) : LINK,
OR combo of active adapter Delock 62596 (DVI to DP) + a generic DP to HDMI passive one.

EDIT : Worst case (if above doesn't work)
VGA out => Aten VC160 (active) => Delock 62596 (active) => DP to HDMI (passive) => Blackmagic HDMI.

Reply 1259 of 1403, by HappyLemons

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there any consensus on what is a suitable device for upscaling DOS / Windows 9x VGA to HDMI for recording with another device? This thread has gotten pretty long, and there's a lot of different devices being tested so it's hard to know what the "right" device is.

I'd assume the OSSC 1.7 is the way to go, but it's out of stock.