VOGONS

Reply 40 of 55, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
debs3759 wrote on 2023-01-09, 23:51:

They were made by Chinese vendors, the only part Intel made was the die, and it was not rated at 366. The die would have been rated at 266 or 300 by Intel

Afaik 黄金戦士 "Golden Warrior" were made in Taiwan https://akiba--pc-watch-impress-co-jp.transla … en&_x_tr_pto=sc

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 41 of 55, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Btw, to the best of my knowledge, intel sold tillamooks in 166mhz, 233mhz, 266 mhz, 300mhz

Who knows what actually lies inside the golden tigers. (Without destroying them) and tbh as I have said. It doesn’t really matter I think. I have little doubt that they could run at claimed speed stably.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 42 of 55, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, sorry to hear these ended up being such a mess.

This reminds me of one of those times that I get all hyped up about getting some "thing" only to have it turn into a hopelessly complex time sink nightmare of a project. Can't imagine anything (that can be shipped) that would fit that description better than a few dozen super rare CPUs that easily fall apart and expose hundreds of impossible to repair hair-like wires that were cobbled by some sketchy third party.

Again... very sorry to hear that it turned out this way. What a mess they made of those things.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 44 of 55, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This was certainly a good read. Whatever way this story ends, these Tillamook chips couldn't have ended up in better hands.
I am sure that if anyone will take the initiative to bring these back to life, it will be Sphere478.

Also, Intel absolutely intentionally artifically limited the Tillamook cores. They knew that many users would rather stay on the Socket 7 platform, and not buy into the Pentium II upgrade route.
They also knew that some users who were willing to stay on the Socket 7 platform, would ONLY do so if they could continue to use an Intel CPU.
In other words they chose to limit this product line so that people would not only buy their next shiny CPU, but also so that people would abandon the old platform that supported competitors products.

Sound business decision, if somewhat crappy in practice.
I've no doubt that the average Tillamook would scale very nicely to 400Mhz+, given the correct motherboard. Probably nearly all of them would.

Reply 45 of 55, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jasin Natael wrote on 2023-01-11, 16:38:

I've no doubt that the average Tillamook would scale very nicely to 400Mhz+, given the correct motherboard. Probably nearly all of them would.

At least they offered up the 300Mhz Celeron A that would OC to 450Mhz as a consolation prize.

It was enough to persuade me to finally abandon the venerable AT case that I'd been using since my first 486 VLB build, because while you could still manage a Pentium II build in an AT case if you dug around in the back of computer shopper enough, the boards were rarely the best quality and the AT power supplies were never quite enough.

Reply 46 of 55, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
douglar wrote on 2023-01-11, 16:57:
Jasin Natael wrote on 2023-01-11, 16:38:

At least they offered up the 300Mhz Celeron A that would OC to 450Mhz as a consolation prize.

It was enough to persuade me to finally abandon the venerable AT case that I'd been using since my first 486 VLB build, because while you could still manage a Pentium II build in an AT case if you dug around in the back of computer shopper enough, the boards were rarely the best quality and the AT power supplies were never quite enough.

Yeah the 300A was and remains legendary. It punched well above it's weight.
The Pentium II/Slot 1 revolution was inevitable anyway, the Socket 7 platform was very long in the tooth by that time and there were plenty of reasons, CPU aside, to move onto a more modern option.

But clearly with all of the upgrade options from AMD/Cyrix/Rise/IDT etc, there was still a lot of life left to be had.
It's just a shame that Intel chose not to (realistically) contribute past 233mhz.

Reply 47 of 55, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-01-11, 02:45:

Afaik 黄金戦士 "Golden Warrior" were made in Taiwan https://akiba--pc-watch-impress-co-jp.transla … en&_x_tr_pto=sc

Correct. These CPUs are Golden Warriors, not Golden Tigers. The Golden tiger is similar, but the PCB is exposed and the heat spreader is smaller. As far as I know they also normally had the die package exposed on the underside so that you could actually see what you were getting.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 48 of 55, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2023-01-13, 07:22:
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-01-11, 02:45:

Correct. These CPUs are Golden Warriors, not Golden Tigers. The Golden tiger is similar, but the PCB is exposed and the heat spreader is smaller. As far as I know they also normally had the die package exposed on the underside so that you could actually see what you were getting.

Interesting… I have two of these units

But was under the impression that intel or oems made them.

Perhaps some were intel and others were knockoffs?

In any case these are the ones I am talking about that have a similar problem.

They completely expose the film chip legs in a way that damage is almost guaranteed if they spend time outside of the motherboard or protective box. These legs are extremely thin and small. Not a whole lot bigger than gold wires in fact. Maybe 4 times larger? Or something like that?

I have not been able to get any of these to function reliably due to damage on the ones I got btw. (Got them like that)

So my earlier warning extends to these also.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 49 of 55, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-01-13, 14:46:

So my understanding is that Intel made the silicon chip and packaged it in TCP320 for mobile.
Then a third party disassembled the TCP320 packaging, removed the chip, and then repackaged & relabeled the chips in the fancy PGA321 gold packaging.

The chips were probably packaged like this at one point in time-- The chip is the tiny square in the middle

s-l1600 (5).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (5).jpg
File size
286.39 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Here are videos about them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-GbiiuiCBY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=736iXRdXuTE

Reply 50 of 55, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
douglar wrote on 2023-01-13, 18:34:
So my understanding is that Intel made the silicon chip and packaged it in TCP320 for mobile. Then a third party disassembled th […]
Show full quote
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-01-13, 14:46:

So my understanding is that Intel made the silicon chip and packaged it in TCP320 for mobile.
Then a third party disassembled the TCP320 packaging, removed the chip, and then repackaged & relabeled the chips in the fancy PGA321 gold packaging.

The chips were probably packaged like this at one point in time-- The chip is the tiny square in the middle

s-l1600 (5).jpg

Here's a video about them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=736iXRdXuTE

Indeed. I have one of those ^pictured^

Mine is a 266. There are many on ebay still. Of many speeds including 300s last I checked.

The question is who made the interposers. Maybe everyone made them.🤷‍♂️ Who knows.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 51 of 55, by Antieon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Literally just found a free Compaq Presario 2400 and had a 266 in it... posted it in Retro Activity thread - I didn't know that Intel did official packaging that looked like standard Socket 7 MMX for 266 and just assumed it was all like the exposed die CPU picture a few posts up or all the golden top CPUs like you posted.

Attachments

• IMG_0370.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0370.jpg
    File size
    1.67 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 52 of 55, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Antieon wrote on 2023-01-13, 20:05:

Literally just found a free Compaq Presario 2400 and had a 266 in it... posted it in Retro Activity thread - I didn't know that Intel did official packaging that looked like standard Socket 7 MMX for 266 and just assumed it was all like the exposed die CPU picture a few posts up or all the golden top CPUs like you posted.

Tillamook 266MHz and working L2 cache?

Those are the ones you want 😀

I’m still on the look out for the 166 tillamook ppga I need it for my collection.

But 233s and 266s are easy to find

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 54 of 55, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-01-13, 23:45:

How did you collect these tiger processors? I was unable to find any on ebay.

Cheers,

🤫 secrets.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 55 of 55, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They’re relatively easy to find in China, but often times broken. The sellers like to play ignorance, but they definitely know they’re selling defective crap. I have terrible luck with the second marketplace here. I just bought a second hand bike….came with a bent wheel and a bent fork.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium