VOGONS

First post, by Blazing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I use Munt and start up a game I get the following error message:

Cannot open Synth. PCM ROM file cannot be opened.

After that, I get the Connected Application: DOSBOX message from Munt and the game starts but there's no sound whatsoever.

I use Munt with MidiMapper Configurator, which I just updated a few days ago. Maybe the update is what caused it?

I uninstalled Munt and re-installed the latest version 2.7.0. to see if it would solve it, but it didn't.

As an alternative, I tried to use DOSBOX ECE with its inbuilt MT-32 emulation, but the sound quality was terrible. Maybe I set it up wrong?

If anyone could help me get Munt working again, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Reply 1 of 10, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Munt requires Control and PCM ROM files in order to work. These ROM files are not packaged with Munt, you have to 'download them separately'.
Then you have to open mt32emu-qt.exe and select Options -> ROM Configuration. Here you can select the directory where your downloaded ROM files can be found.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 2 of 10, by Blazing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2023-01-21, 00:37:

Munt requires Control and PCM ROM files in order to work. These ROM files are not packaged with Munt, you have to 'download them separately'.
Then you have to open mt32emu-qt.exe and select Options -> ROM Configuration. Here you can select the directory where your downloaded ROM files can be found.

I already had done all that and in the past Munt worked fine. The problem is that it suddenly stopped working and I don't know why.

Reply 3 of 10, by Blazing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finally got rid of the error message. It looks like for some reason Munt had both a CM32L and an MT32 ROM selected. I have no idea why the configuration suddenly changed. I switched it back to both CM32L ROMs as it should be.

So the error message no longer appears, but I have the same problem as I did when I tried out DOSBOX ECE with its inbuilt MT-32 emulation. The sound quality is terrible and nothing what it should be. I know how it should be not only from my own experience, but from checking out the Roland MT-32 soundtracks on YouTube.

It's as if Windows is bypassing my configuration and using its own crappy MIDI synthesizer. The question is how do I solve it? The problem appears both with Munt and when I use DOSBOX ECE with its inbuilt MT-32 emulation, so there is clearly some underlying problem affecting both methods.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Reply 4 of 10, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently started using Coolsoft's Midimapper and that caused some confusion. Namely, it shifted the device IDs so that Munt's mt32 emulator was now number 2 on the list, not number 1 as before. So all my mt-32 games were playing the wrong music because midiconfig was still set to 1. Perhaps your problem has the same cause. Run the "mixer /listmidi" command and make sure everything's set to the correct ID.

Reply 6 of 10, by Blazing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
konc wrote on 2023-01-21, 13:33:

You should see dosbox.exe in Munt's Midi input window, otherwise munt is not used.

I do see it, but the sound is terrible and sounds nothing like what Roland MT-32 emulation should sound like. Here's a screenshot of what Munt looks like during the intro of Betrayal at Krondor.

12T4pN6.png

Reply 7 of 10, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Blazing wrote on 2023-01-21, 14:56:

I do see it, but the sound is terrible and sounds nothing like what Roland MT-32 emulation should sound like. Here's a screenshot of what Munt looks like during the intro of Betrayal at Krondor.

Could you attach an audio sample so we could inspect what you actually hear? On the main dialog of Munt you can find a big record button.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 8 of 10, by Blazing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2023-01-21, 16:34:
Blazing wrote on 2023-01-21, 14:56:

Could you attach an audio sample so we could inspect what you actually hear? On the main dialog of Munt you can find a big record button.

Sure. It doesn't let me add it as an attachment to this post so I uploaded the audio sample here: https://easyupload.io/3xclkv

And here's what it should sound like, and what it sounded like when I used Munt in the past: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNioegp73EQ

Reply 10 of 10, by Blazing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feda wrote on 2023-01-21, 20:42:

Can you take another screenshot with the instrument names visible?
I think I got it to sound like your recording by selecting General Midi in the game's install.exe.

I checked and you're right. For some reason it was set to General MIDI. I could have sworn I had set it to Roland MT-32.

Switching it back to Roland MT-32 obviously solved the problem and it now sounds right.

Thanks.