VOGONS

P100 Hanging at "Updating ESCD"

Topic actions

First post, by Syntho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's my motherboard: https://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/archive/Azza/m … ual/5is/5is.pdf

When I pop in a new video card it hangs at "Updating ESCD". I conquered the issue once before months ago by doing some weird combination of booting the system without any cards in it at all (even video) and resetting the machine. The new video card I put in worked for months.

So here I am again months later with the same issue. I put in a new card, for the issue, then somehow rebooting, taking out the battery, etc fixed it. But now I have the issue again, and it isn't being caused by a card swap, but merely moving the card over to a new slot. First it gave me the Updating ESCD issue, then the rebooting without the card made it work, but now I only changed the slot and we're right back to square one.

I'm at wit's end here.

Reply 3 of 63, by Syntho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an EPROM programmer but I wouldn't know where to get the Bios update. This is an old motherboard and the manufacturer isn't very well known.

Edit: maybe it will be possible since my current one has an Award bios. Which software should I get to flash it and where can I get a bios that'll work with my board? My programmer comes with some software for winXP and is USB, if that helps.

Reply 4 of 63, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Syntho wrote on 2023-01-20, 17:04:
Here's my motherboard: https://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/archive/Azza/m … ual/5is/5is.pdf […]
Show full quote

Here's my motherboard: https://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/archive/Azza/m … ual/5is/5is.pdf

When I pop in a new video card it hangs at "Updating ESCD". I conquered the issue once before months ago by doing some weird combination of booting the system without any cards in it at all (even video) and resetting the machine. The new video card I put in worked for months.

So here I am again months later with the same issue. I put in a new card, for the issue, then somehow rebooting, taking out the battery, etc fixed it. But now I have the issue again, and it isn't being caused by a card swap, but merely moving the card over to a new slot. First it gave me the Updating ESCD issue, then the rebooting without the card made it work, but now I only changed the slot and we're right back to square one.

I'm at wit's end here.

I believe you have a hardware issue.
When the machine was working, which OS did you run? Only DOS or a Windows, too?

So I would check the basics: CPU? Is it overclocked? Cooling? RAM? PS/2 or EDO? Cache? Is it pipelined burst or asynchronous? Same issue there, when you remove the cache?

Reply 5 of 63, by Syntho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The POST string is 09/20/95 Triton-2A59C000C-00 and there isn't a bios available. There's only one other brand using this saw POST ID which is 'Ocean Tech'.

I'm running DOS and W95. The error occurs only when there is a new card or a slot change. The CPU is brand new, it's fan cooled and not over clocked, I think I've got 16mb of EDO ram (part # 54-23623-ea), 256k of asynchronous cache (and I'm not sure where it's located on my board but will pull it if I can find it).

I just stumbled upon something interesting. This board came with 16mb of what I think is EDO ram. Google mentions EDO when I google what's on the sticker. It says 70ns on the sticker of the ram, but in the manual it says that EDO ram must be 60ns or faster. However maybe it's FP ram because as I get stuck on the Updating ESCD thing, it says bank0 and bank1 EDO dram: No.

Hmm...

Reply 6 of 63, by Brightraven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The only time I have come across this issue was when I flashed a BIOS onto an EEPROM which was not compatible with the motherboard. Swapping it out for a different chip fixed it. Maybe your EEPROM is dying and it is unable to update.

Reply 7 of 63, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agree Brightraven !
sometimes it is a failing RTC cmos (like Dallas chip or in the chipset) that causes an error. The cmos settings and escd are stored in a section of the cmos and if it cannot be written to/read from then you get a halt on Updating...
see also: http://209.68.14.80/ref/mbsys/res/pnpESCD-c.html and http://209.68.14.80/ts/x/sys/booterr_GBER23.htm

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 9 of 63, by Syntho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm unfamiliar with RTC. I see its location in the manual right next to the bios chip. Should I make a copy of the RTC too?

I don't think I have spare chips of those sizes available but I can order some. Do you think it would work to copy them, then flash them? I'll replace them eventually but maybe that'll work temporarily until the new chips get here.

PS: I forgot to mention that a few times here and there I got the Award Lock screen and it told me something about the bios checksum. I've never seen that screen until recently. So maybe the bios really is going bad...

Reply 11 of 63, by Syntho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
majestyk wrote on 2023-01-21, 16:19:

Is this an AMI or AWARD BIOS?
In case it´s AWARD, enabling "rseset configuration data" once in the BIOS menue might be helpful.

Award. There is no setting for that in the bios unfortunately.

Reply 12 of 63, by Syntho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I extracted the EEPROM and made a bin file of it. I verified between the two, then erased the EEPROM and put the code back onto it. Installed it in my system just now and it's still giving me the same issue.

The bios is on a Winbond W29EE011-15. Do you think I should order the equivalent and try using a new one?

I've read elsewhere that the RTC chip could be giving problems but not sure it has anything to do with my issue. It's a VIA VT82885N.

I'll order the chips if you think that'll fix it. Anything else you guys think I can try let me know!

Reply 13 of 63, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Syntho wrote on 2023-01-21, 20:34:
I extracted the EEPROM and made a bin file of it. I verified between the two, then erased the EEPROM and put the code back onto […]
Show full quote

I extracted the EEPROM and made a bin file of it. I verified between the two, then erased the EEPROM and put the code back onto it. Installed it in my system just now and it's still giving me the same issue.

The bios is on a Winbond W29EE011-15. Do you think I should order the equivalent and try using a new one?

I've read elsewhere that the RTC chip could be giving problems but not sure it has anything to do with my issue. It's a VIA VT82885N.

I'll order the chips if you think that'll fix it. Anything else you guys think I can try let me know!

OK, so it seems the BIOS cannot write to your FLASH in this "Update ESCD phase". As far as I know, something shall be written really to the flash.

How is this jumper set?
(H) JP18 ROM BIOS Selection
Pin # Function
1-2 For +5V FLASH ROM, EPROM
2-3 For +12V FLASH ROM

Reply 16 of 63, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Syntho wrote on 2023-01-22, 08:43:

It's on jumpers 1-2 for a 5v EPROM.

I looked at the retro web website and while the manual is there the bios isn't. Once I crack this issue and I confirm that my bios copy is good I'll upload it there.

Hello,
That's correct then, your winbond flash is a 5 volts type.
I would suggest that you buy another flash chip. I assume that the section for the ESCD cannot be written anymore. Some wear out effect.
Of course that is just a guess, but it is worth a try in my opinion.

Reply 17 of 63, by Syntho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll try a new chip. I was curious as to why the bios settings save fine, and reading.writing the entire EEPROM was fine too, but only the ESCD gives me an issue.

If it turns out to be the RTC chip, I'm looking at $30 for a new one. And replacing it is a gamble since I'm not sure that's what the problem is. It would be maybe better to just buy an entirely new motherboard...

PS: I just pulled all 9 cache chips from the board and it has no effect.

Reply 18 of 63, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CoffeeOne wrote on 2023-01-22, 09:58:
Hello, That's correct then, your winbond flash is a 5 volts type. I would suggest that you buy another flash chip. I assume that […]
Show full quote
Syntho wrote on 2023-01-22, 08:43:

It's on jumpers 1-2 for a 5v EPROM.

I looked at the retro web website and while the manual is there the bios isn't. Once I crack this issue and I confirm that my bios copy is good I'll upload it there.

Hello,
That's correct then, your winbond flash is a 5 volts type.
I would suggest that you buy another flash chip. I assume that the section for the ESCD cannot be written anymore. Some wear out effect.
Of course that is just a guess, but it is worth a try in my opinion.

This is the answer. I have had the exact same thing happen before.

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 19 of 63, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Syntho wrote on 2023-01-22, 10:09:

I'll try a new chip. I was curious as to why the bios settings save fine, and reading.writing the entire EEPROM was fine too, but only the ESCD gives me an issue.

If it turns out to be the RTC chip, I'm looking at $30 for a new one. And replacing it is a gamble since I'm not sure that's what the problem is. It would be maybe better to just buy an entirely new motherboard...

PS: I just pulled all 9 cache chips from the board and it has no effect.

BIOS settings are written to RAM in the RTC module. ESCD is written to ROM in the flash IC. Totally different.

Replace your flash ROM