VOGONS

First post, by colinhoad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I've got a DELL Latitude D600 laptop running Windows 98 and I'd like to understand what my sound card options are for running DOS games. I experimented with a PCMCIA SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS card but that would not work, despite trying a number of options. It seems that while the PCI card equivalent works under Win 98, the PCMCIA card does not, which is disappointing.

What I'm looking for is something that will run sound effects and music in DOS games such as Wolfenstein 3D, Major Stryker, Doom 2 etc.

The onboard AC'97 Vinyl soundcard supports Windows 98 games well enough, but for older DOS native games it falls deathly silent.

I don't want to use DOS Box, but are there any other options - other PCMCIA cards, for example, or possibly some drivers or software that might make my AC'97 onboard card kick into life under DOS?

Reply 1 of 7, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This Sigmatel AC97 driver package in attachment has VXD driver for Windows 95/98 which installs QSound_SigmaTel Stac97 PCI Audio Legacy Device
So, you have a chance that it will work in Windows 98 Dos mode (plain DOS is no-go).

Attachments

• Filename
    sigmatel_9721.exe
    File size
    875.9 KiB
    Downloads
    41 downloads
    File comment
    Sigmatel AC97 driver
    File license
    Public domain

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 2 of 7, by colinhoad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zyga64 wrote on 2023-01-26, 12:03:

This Sigmatel AC97 driver package in attachment has VXD driver for Windows 95/98 which installs QSound_SigmaTel Stac97 PCI Audio Legacy Device
So, you have a chance that it will work in Windows 98 Dos mode (plain DOS is no-go).

Thank you for the suggestion, I have tried installing this (it installed fine) but it doesn't seem to have had any effect. Is there something more I need to do (e.g. edits to CONFIG.SYS or AUTOEXEC.BAT maybe?) to get the sound card recognised under DOS mode?

Reply 3 of 7, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Installer probably just unpacks its content to folder you choose (i.e. c:\sigmatel )
So:
1.) Uninstall your current AC97 driver, (to be sure remove its .inf file from c:\windows\inf\other)
2.) After restart new device will be found, point new driver location to folder where you extracted driver - in this case c:\sigmatel\driver\VXD

If installer will complain about incompatible device, you may add its PCI ID to inf file.

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 4 of 7, by colinhoad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zyga64 wrote on 2023-01-26, 14:06:
Installer probably just unpacks its content to folder you choose (i.e. c:\sigmatel ) So: 1.) Uninstall your current AC97 driver, […]
Show full quote

Installer probably just unpacks its content to folder you choose (i.e. c:\sigmatel )
So:
1.) Uninstall your current AC97 driver, (to be sure remove its .inf file from c:\windows\inf\other)
2.) After restart new device will be found, point new driver location to folder where you extracted driver - in this case c:\sigmatel\driver\VXD

If installer will complain about incompatible device, you may add its PCI ID to inf file.

Sadly no luck. It looked like it was going to work, but all I ended up with was the Sigmatel Q-sound showing up with a yellow exclamation mark in device manager and no sound at all (not even in Windows itself, let alone DOS). Have reverted back to the Vinyl AC'97 Combo (WDM) drivers so I still get sound in Windows. It's odd, I can get some DOS games to work with sound (via Windows). Doom 2 plays well, with both music and sound effects... but other games like Wolf3d just have sound effects and no music; then others, like Major Stryker have no sound at all. Peculiar...

Reply 5 of 7, by colinhoad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've decided to cut my losses and just run DOSBox on my Win 98 laptop for Wolf 3D, Major Stryker and other games that have sound issues. In fairness to DOSBox it's a lot faster and smoother than I remember it being, and the sound works perfectly. Suits me!

Reply 7 of 7, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are plenty of pcmcia sound cards, the trick is to find them.
Easier to get are parallel port devices with FM sound and music, or covox clones for digital audio, etc.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics