VOGONS

First post, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This was given to me recently...and I have no idea what case it would fit in..
presumably proprietory...as both the slot 1 motherboard (fitted with a P2 cpu) and the riser on which all the expansion slots are mounted ...are labelled DELL 1997 RevA1..
Sadly there was no case or PSU which might also be proprietory...and I doubt I would ever find one..
..and certainly not if I can't identify it to search.
Anyone ?

Attachments

• P1010327.JPG
    Filename
    P1010327.JPG
    File size
    1.19 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • P1010326.JPG
    Filename
    P1010326.JPG
    File size
    976.72 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 8, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I actually got an NLX format MB from the giveaway thread too https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/n/nlx.htm

It's rather old one, you can still find cases online but i will soon scan my own motherboard and design a case for it that can be 3d printed.

Then again yours looks a bit different from the usual ones, hopefully a generic NLX will suffice and you can just use an ATX psu but it could also be a hellish OEM custom NLX.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 2 of 8, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
iraito wrote on 2023-01-31, 22:00:

I actually got an NLX format MB from the giveaway thread too https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/n/nlx.htm

It's rather old one, you can still find cases online but i will soon scan my own motherboard and design a case for it that can be 3d printed.

Then again yours looks a bit different from the usual ones, hopefully a generic NLX will suffice and you can just use an ATX psu but it could also be a hellish OEM custom NLX.

Thanks for the info..
I will search for Dell NLX ...but if you ever complete the design and make it available ...I have a friend with a 3D printer though it might be a bit large for him.
🤣

Reply 3 of 8, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Vipersan wrote on 2023-01-31, 22:09:
Thanks fpr the info.. I will search for Dell NLX ...but if you ever complete the design and make it available ...I have a friend […]
Show full quote
iraito wrote on 2023-01-31, 22:00:

Thanks fpr the info..
I will search for Dell NLX ...but if you ever complete the design and make it available ...I have a friend with a 3D printer though it might be a bit large for him.
🤣

It will take some time but i will open a WIP thread so i can show the progress, i can at least tell you that i have all the tools and experience to make it a reality 😙

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 5 of 8, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-01-31, 23:17:

This came from a early era Dell case in beige.

Cheers,

sounds about right ...
any idea what model ?
some sort of 'dimension' perhaps ?
or a beige optiplex tower of some sort ?
the riser would be too bulky for a desktop I think.

Reply 6 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pretty sure this isn't NLX. In NLX systems, the edge connector is on the side of the motherboard and the riser has the 'slot' that plugs into it. Here the (PISA-like) connector is on the top of the motherboard and the edge connector is on the riser. So this is a totally proprietary combination of an NLX-like backplate with an LPX-like riser. It - and the motherboard - remind me of an early Dell Optiplex GX-series system.

Just looking at the shape, this would be from a bulky system, as it is very tall vertically. I find the same risers googling Optiplex GX110, but images of GX110 show a smaller desktop form factor. In any event it will be something close to that.

Edit: gotcha - Optiplex GX110 tower:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkV3p4NBfMFfCFN1EV01WhDXMuH9IXwZg_ZQ&usqp=CAU

TB282vbubXlpuFjy1zbXXb_qpXa_!!587474465.jpg_Q75.jpg_.webp

Reply 7 of 8, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Update: GX1 is slot 1 which your stuff is, GX110 is socket 370 so not that one.

Found it, another one

Dell GX1 full tower. What it looks like if you wanted to do something with it.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/314173147084?hash=ite … ABk9SR5zNqKjBYQ

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.