VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 780 of 1005, by libby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote on 2022-11-17, 03:38:
libby wrote on 2022-11-17, 02:24:

Where did I find mine: a wiredforservice listing for about $100, ugh. I felt dirty.

🤣, that is sinking low. But his once ridiculous prices are starting to look more in line with other offerings.

On this board the $100 I paid was a basement bargain to be honest. I have not seen one of these for sale ANYWHERE for at least five years now and was floored to find one at all, let alone at $100. It's such a weird, esoteric motherboard that I don't think many people are really looking for them, as they don't even know such a board exists. I'm planning to put the setup together soon and document it.

Reply 781 of 1005, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just bought an ASrock ALiveDual-eSATA2 for just 11€ (+ shipping). 😮
Reminder for those who don't actively follow this thread: That's the very last mainboard to feature an AGP slot. Auctioned off multiple times for ~150€ in recent times.

It was sitting on Ebay for more than a year! Of course, it wasn't advertised as ALiveDual. I found it by searching for the very generic term "Athlon", while I was looking for a cheap PGA939 board for RAM testing. I didn't find a cheap PGA939 but I found this. oO
Seller says it powers on but he gets no picture. Lets hope the seller is stupid and it's something trivial like a broken RAM stick. Can't see any bulged caps.

Definitely going to keep it, if it can be restored.
I already have one, but I like to own a replacement for each board I'm using.

Reply 782 of 1005, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-11-17, 14:55:
I just bought an ASrock ALiveDual-eSATA2 for just 11€ (+ shipping). :o Reminder for those who don't actively follow this thread: […]
Show full quote

I just bought an ASrock ALiveDual-eSATA2 for just 11€ (+ shipping). 😮
Reminder for those who don't actively follow this thread: That's the very last mainboard to feature an AGP slot. Auctioned off multiple times for ~150€ in recent times.

It was sitting on Ebay for more than a year! Of course, it wasn't advertised as ALiveDual. I found it by searching for the very generic term "Athlon", while I was looking for a cheap PGA939 board for RAM testing. I didn't find a cheap PGA939 but I found this. oO
Seller says it powers on but he gets no picture. Lets hope the seller is stupid and it's something trivial like a broken RAM stick. Can't see any bulged caps.

Definitely going to keep it, if it can be restored.
I already have one, but I like to own a replacement for each board I'm using.

Oh nice !
Supports up to 2009 Phenom II ... with AGP.
Unusual.

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 783 of 1005, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Now that the parcel is on the way to me, I can safely post the Ebay link. Didn't want anyone to interfere with the transaction.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/113681854665
geht an = turns on
kein Bild = no picture
I really hope it's just some marginal. Broken GPU, CPU or RAM. Empty battery...
Can't see any bulged capacitors.

Saw the thumbnail and thought: "Wait? Is this an Asrock dual PCIe/AGP board?"
I did consider asking for a discount, because it was online since February 2021 at least and I'm a greedy bastard. But didn't want to risk that the seller does some research and realizes that he has something valuable. So I just added the auction to my watch list and slept a night over it. Seller saw that someone is watching and send a 11€ offer.

acl wrote on 2022-11-19, 09:16:

Oh nice !
Supports up to 2009 Phenom II ... with AGP.
Unusual.

Jupp, unusual indeed.
There is another ASrock board with AGP who supports Phenom II's, the AM2NF3-VSTA. But it has no PCIe slot, so no SATA 6GB/s controller for you. You're stuck with 150MB/s SATA. The ALiveDual on the other hand has SATA II integrated, but will max out at 190MB/s and is only able to do so, if you use an old SATA II drive. SATA 6GB/s drives will be slowed down to 150MB/s as well.
AM2NF3 officially supports X4 970 but will also accept the flagship X4 980. AliveDual officially only supports X4 965 and will NOT post when a X4 980 is installed. Hirsch is working on a fix for that.

They have an Intel sister, the 4CoreDual-SATA2.
But it lacks BIOS options for voltage, so mods are required for overclocking.

Phil dragged a lot of attention on ASrock AGP boards a few years ago, when he advertised the 775i65G.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YnfioK2xZ4
The NOS boards are long gone. Phil alone bought like 5 of them. 😁
I have seen one of these sell for 100€ now. Boxed but slightly used, so no longer NOS. Insane.
Keep in mind: These were budget boards back in the day and sold for ~50 bucks.

Reply 784 of 1005, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-11-19, 12:49:

Now that the parcel is on the way to me, I can safely post the Ebay link. Didn't want anyone to interfere with the transaction.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/113681854665

Those RAM slot locks look mismatched ? 😋
(2 pairs large, and 2 'small')

Reply 785 of 1005, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This thread has been quiet for a bit but something I thought I would never see has hit the well known online auction site ..A working late revision prototype Voodoo5 6000 fully reworked by the well known Voodoo God.

Not going to provide links but ...its a rather hot auction and the bids are .. high already with 9 days left, I'm being a bit vague so as to not anger the mods but this is one item I never expected to see.

I'm going to watch it with fascination to see just how much this rarity goes for.

Reply 786 of 1005, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice, should remortgage the house and buy 2... heh, but I'm thinking it will bust 5 figures with 9 days for news to get round the tech blogs and 3 ppl in the world rich and nutty enough to spring for it. (Doubt I'd wanna pay more than 2k for anything even if I won a powerball)

In other news, anyone got any discount codes for IBM? Found they still actually list a part for me olde PC300 series, but want one and a quarter thousand US greenbacks for it.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 787 of 1005, by ptr1ck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Even if I had money to burn, I wouldn't buy it. It wasn't like it was a good card for the time even if they released it. I'm more nostalgic for the cards that were actually competitive or brought something new to the market, the original 1,2,3 cards.

"ITXBOX" SFF-Win11
KT133A-NV28-V2 SLI-DOS/WinME

Reply 788 of 1005, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a different market up there in the niche stratospheres. When elite spoils are up for grabs, the big money comes out to play.

You need a lot of disposable wealth to justify the price of a small new car on a 20 year old computer expansion card whose main advantage (apart from being large enough to charge rent) seems to be the ability to play a selection of the era's titles in very slightly sharper definition than other cards of the era.

Reply 789 of 1005, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

True, is it even faster than FSAA on a Radeon 8500 or something?

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 790 of 1005, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-02-03, 22:53:

Nice, should remortgage the house and buy 2... heh, but I'm thinking it will bust 5 figures with 9 days for news to get round the tech blogs and 3 ppl in the world rich and nutty enough to spring for it. (Doubt I'd wanna pay more than 2k for anything even if I won a powerball)

In other news, anyone got any discount codes for IBM? Found they still actually list a part for me olde PC300 series, but want one and a quarter thousand US greenbacks for it.

We run out of kidneys too fast. That's the problem.
Your solution looks good tho 😀

TrashPanda wrote on 2023-02-03, 21:43:

This thread has been quiet for a bit but something I thought I would never see has hit the well known online auction site ..A working late revision prototype Voodoo5 6000 fully reworked by the well known Voodoo God.

Not going to provide links but ...its a rather hot auction and the bids are .. high already with 9 days left, I'm being a bit vague so as to not anger the mods but this is one item I never expected to see.

I'm going to watch it with fascination to see just how much this rarity goes for.

I am impressed 😐

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 792 of 1005, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is into 5 figures and has pulled some production V5s out of the woodwork, which are also zooming in price a bit with the interest and may establish 4 figure values soon. Soooo, if you were on the fence about getting one of those reproductions using original chips, you best get your name in before he's swamped.

Reply 794 of 1005, by Mandrew

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How do you get a $15-20K card shipped?
Hire armed guards in ESD suits to carry it to your house or let dimwits without any kind of work ethic throw it around in various warehouses with no heating?
I'd be crazy nervous if it was anything other than local pickup after I've personally seen it in fully working condition.

Reply 797 of 1005, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 sold for $15,000 USD.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/325521605074

I remember many years ago there was some controversy about these cards, something to the effect of one individual trying to buy them all up for around $5000-6000 each, then inadvertently destroying them due to insufficient technical repair skills. I think that was 8-ish years ago. This is all I remember. Looks like some survived. Anyone know how many of the 6000's are still in working order?

3-fold price increase in 8-ish years.

3dfx_Voodoo5_6000.png
Filename
3dfx_Voodoo5_6000.png
File size
304.7 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I suggest not making public light of similar listings until they are sold. Doing so ahead of the sale benefits the seller and encourages others to do the same. Before long, members will be asking their pals to casually mention [on the forums] a rare item they have for sale on eBay.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 798 of 1005, by IBMFan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote on 2023-02-13, 09:14:

I suggest not making public light of similar listings until they are sold. Doing so ahead of the sale benefits the seller and encourages others to do the same. Before long, members will be asking their pals to casually mention [on the forums] a rare item they have for sale on eBay.

I don't see a problem with this if a buyer has the money to pay for it. That's the whole point of bidding, if you want the item more you are going to put in a higher bid. If you don't have the means then you are out. Of course it's bad for lowballers but good for people looking for specific items.

Reply 799 of 1005, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote on 2023-02-13, 09:14:

That 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 sold for $15,000 USD.

3-fold price increase in 8-ish years.

That doesn't seem like that much of an increase in price when compared to the price hikes that happened to the other voodoo cards.

And I tend to agree.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!