VOGONS

Reply 240 of 881, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kalgon wrote on 2023-02-09, 14:38:
dionb wrote on 2023-02-09, 09:01:

I have a cute use case for this card - a supercompact system with small (but standard-layout) AT motherboard with no onboard I/O, a riser and two ISA slots on opposite sides. Total height is just 5cm.

Can you post a picture of it?

Only have this pic (and just left the office for this week):

bEhkmq0NJvA718oUMho3ZsxI.jpg

That's a 12" monitor, just to indicate scale...

Reply 241 of 881, by Stevogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2023-02-09, 16:07:
Only have this pic (and just left the office for this week): […]
Show full quote

I have a cute use case for this card - a supercompact system with small (but standard-layout) AT motherboard with no onboard I/O, a riser and two ISA slots on opposite sides. Total height is just 5cm.

oh wow that looks awesome!
I love seeing this kind of uniqueness on the forum. 😀

Reply 242 of 881, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
florian3 wrote on 2023-02-09, 15:35:

Should be similar to the ARGUS card (check that thread), that accepts pretty much any FPM or EDO RAM that is 5V and should be 70ns or faster. I'm using some cheap single rank 16MB FPM that I bought on ebay. I also tried dual-rank 32MB EDO and it works fine (but only uses 16MB).

That's exactly right. The only restriction is that if you have a particularly thick or tall module, it may hit the edge of the PLCC-type socket before locking into place. Fortunately, SIMMs of that size/shape are quite rare. This was more of a problem on the pre-production boards with the larger DIP package.

Reply 243 of 881, by Vanessaira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2023-02-09, 16:07:
Only have this pic (and just left the office for this week): […]
Show full quote

That is going to be great if that works.

V

An Analog Girl in a Digital World

Reply 244 of 881, by KuroHouou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Marmes wrote on 2023-02-09, 15:42:

5v 16mb fpm 72pin simm is what I use.
Works good.

Looking to get this one, seems to match the specs you said. Not sure if it matters if the ram chips are on both sides or one side?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155386594829?mkcid=1 … emis&media=COPY

Reply 246 of 881, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm just going to post here to congratulate you all on releasing this awesome product! This is end-game tier retro hardware. Thank you so much for creating cards like these to keep vintage PC enthusiasts fed with great hardware. *clapclapclap*

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 247 of 881, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@KuroHouou
no issue if this ram stick has chips on both sides

@Kahenraz
16MB is the largest memory size supported by the Interwave chip

@Hezus
thanks for the kind words!!! 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 248 of 881, by ChrisTOTG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If I don't add a SIMM (because I still have to find one at some point) will the card with fine other than the GUS? Will the GUS just not function? (It's been a long time since I had a GUS so I don't even remember RAM issues)

Reply 249 of 881, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes the card will function but you will lose classic GUS support in games. So by adding even a 4mb stick will enable this support , no need to go full 16mb for that.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 251 of 881, by IcySon55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2023-02-12, 05:17:

Yes the card will function but you will lose classic GUS support in games. So by adding even a 4mb stick will enable this support , no need to go full 16mb for that.

Will a 32MB SIMM work? Using only 16MB of it?

Reply 252 of 881, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@keropi

Would you consider releasing Orpheus II implementation block diagram for tech nerds here? You have obviously standard CS, AMD IW(attached), Yamaha and HardMPU diagrams from chip/solution manufactures so additional part would be mostly about integration flow. High level block diagram doesn't have enough details so risk someone replicating your work is low I assume.
I would love to get extra warm premium product feeling if your hardware will come with good documentation.

Attachments

• AMD.jpg
    Filename
    AMD.jpg
    File size
    72.49 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    AMD Am78C201 block diagram
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 253 of 881, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@IcySon55
yep, it will work but it will cap at 16mb

@vutt
I am not sure I follow what you ask or what the point is since there is no weird analog routing on OrpheusII - everything goes through CS4237
if you are wondering how IW is connected to the card then it's output is tied to the "SYNTH/Wavetable" input of CS4237
IW is an output only device on the card - there is no other mixing going on.
also there is no hardmpu on our cards - there is PCMIDI and it works as a separate entity on the PCB with the option to select which MIDI ports you want it to control with it so you can split if needed between PCMIDI and CS4237-MPU to achieve a dual-mpu setup

Reply 254 of 881, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote on 2023-02-12, 13:41:

if you are wondering how IW is connected to the card then it's output is tied to the "SYNTH/Wavetable" input of CS4237
IW is an output only device on the card - there is no other mixing going on.
also there is no hardmpu on our cards - there is PCMIDI and it works as a separate entity on the PCB with the option to select which MIDI ports you want it to control with it so you can split if needed between PCMIDI and CS4237-MPU to achieve a dual-mpu setup

Yeah I was investigating how IW an CS chip can be integrated? Any digital (serial) output options or only analog....
As for hardmpu indeed my mistake I meant PCMIDI actually.

Reply 256 of 881, by solipsyta

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! I have been observing your projects, particularly the once related to GUS, for quite a while, but never posted anything on this forum. Unfortunately I missed out on the first batch of the Orpheus II and now major FOMO is settling in for the second batch, so I just wanted to ask if these will still be available. Sorry to bother you with such mundane questions.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the work and passion you put into creating and making these cards! I really admire what you are doing.

Reply 257 of 881, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

no need to be alarmed yet - you can still fill the form and get a card from the upcoming batch, they have not ran out yet 😉
currently things are on order and factory waits for parts deliveries to start processing our order

Reply 258 of 881, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just watched LGR's blerb video about Orpheus 1 and noticed the card has a problem with default volume of OPL3 chip vs PCM sounds. There are games (e.g. Wolf3D) that just ignore mixer settings and set all volume to max. That means almost anything newer than Sound Blaster 16 has disbalanced sound, where either music or FX sounds tend to be very loud (ESS cards with ESFM tend to sound OK). Orpheus 1 seems to do the same, at least in Jill of the Jungle and Xargon. It is possible that the sounds are alright when using CrystalFM but I don't have anything to compare it to.
Are you aware of the issue? Is it something that's fixable, maybe with new revisions? Would make it more usable with older games.

Some info on the topic can be found here: FM and PCM Volume Balance of SB Cards