VOGONS

First post, by RTID

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

BACKGROUND:
I have my PSU blown before my eyes (but luckily system is safe), I was thought it fairly okay (decent) PSU (it's old unit from P4 era, I only judge by weight) but I proved wrong.
Problem is, The good and safe modern PSU is rather expensive right ? (I mean PSU that certified for OVP, UVP, OCP, OPP, OTP, SCP), meanwhile I own dozen of standard/untrusted PSU that I still want to use it but now I am afraid.

On the moment of such incident, let's imagine some scenario:
A. Power surge / Input Failed = loud bang but not dangerous because there fuse on input side (SAFE)
B. PWM controller dies = PSU just shut down (SAFE)
C. Bad filtering caps = ripple will putting more stress on VRM/Mosfet/board caps to filter smooth the system, and if noise too high it will damage the IC and put (already) marginal components out of spec, eventually kill the board (DANGER)

MY QUESTION:
1. are cases that blown PSU bring other component die is really happen often? (I am assessing danger of it)
2. following scenario C, what can I do with dozen of cheap PSU that I possesses and I am too poor to throw them out since I need them too to power some my retro rig. I mean Instead of buying expensive PSU for retro rig, can we modify them to make it safer on output side with fuse on each rail and extra smoothing caps for example, and is it feasible?

Reply 1 of 11, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was thought it fairly okay (decent) PSU (it's old unit from P4 era, I only judge by weight) but I proved wrong.

That was peak cap plague era. It didn't just affect low-end stuff, a lot of high-end good quality designs also suffered from it. Antec in particular had some highly regarded PSUs that nonetheless had subpar caps and could fail spectatularly. Can't give statistics, but your concern is warranted: this really happens. Regularly.

Btw, interesting device in this context:
https://x86.fr/atx2at-smart-converter/

Designed for the opposite use-case, ensuring shorts on old AT motherboards or connected devices don't lead to dangerous currents. However conceptually you could imagine a similar device between ATX PSU and ATX motherboard. Would be pricey though, even if you left out fancy OLED etc. However with increasing scarcity and price of vintage hardware, it could well be worth it - at least for systems with unobtainium-level rare gems.

Reply 2 of 11, by RTID

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2023-02-07, 07:07:
That was peak cap plague era. It didn't just affect low-end stuff, a lot of high-end good quality designs also suffered from it. […]
Show full quote

I was thought it fairly okay (decent) PSU (it's old unit from P4 era, I only judge by weight) but I proved wrong.

That was peak cap plague era. It didn't just affect low-end stuff, a lot of high-end good quality designs also suffered from it. Antec in particular had some highly regarded PSUs that nonetheless had subpar caps and could fail spectatularly. Can't give statistics, but your concern is warranted: this really happens. Regularly.

Btw, interesting device in this context:
https://x86.fr/atx2at-smart-converter/

Designed for the opposite use-case, ensuring shorts on old AT motherboards or connected devices don't lead to dangerous currents. However conceptually you could imagine a similar device between ATX PSU and ATX motherboard. Would be pricey though, even if you left out fancy OLED etc. However with increasing scarcity and price of vintage hardware, it could well be worth it - at least for systems with unobtainium-level rare gems.

This is interesting project, he even opensource his work complete with schematic. At first his project looks too fancy/sophisticated for me, but I can learn that, I have working clone of 286,386,486, and couple S7, it may not rare level gem, but since today price is outrageous, then it seems worth for me to learn

And I guess I have to throw out my dozen of el cheapo PSU..
thank you

Reply 3 of 11, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RTID wrote on 2023-02-08, 01:58:

[...]

And I guess I have to throw out my dozen of el cheapo PSU..
thank you

I'd rather suggest fixing them. Old pre-ATX 2.2 PSUs can deliver much more power on the 5V line, to deliver as much as an old 300W PSU you need a new 1000W monster.

Reply 4 of 11, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RTID wrote on 2023-02-07, 05:48:

BACKGROUND:
I have my PSU blown before my eyes (but luckily system is safe), I was thought it fairly okay (decent) PSU (it's old unit from P4 era, I only judge by weight) but I proved wrong.

What was the brand and type btw?

Reply 6 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RTID wrote on 2023-02-13, 05:02:

the brand is "Trust", mine Exactly like what necroware advising, https://youtu.be/QBhxx3y3ZEY?t=438

Me and my friends here in The Netherlands used to say "never trust a Trust" 😜
Especially not the PSUs. I always preferred FSP back in the day, for a variety of reasons.

Having said that, I'm actually somewhat surprised you mention that that Trust PSU at least seemed somewhat decent, judging by its weight. What model was it?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 11, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Trust didn't actually manufacture anything themselves, they just bought up overstock odd lots in Taiwan and Shenzhen, slapped their sticker on it and sold it at low but for them profitable prices. Mostly it was complete crap, but sometimes they were actually decent and overstock for other reason. It was completely random.

That said, I would never trust a Trust PSU without finding out who actually made it and what model it really was first.

Regarding testing by weight: in the absence of anything better, it's a good rule of thumb, but some very unscrupulous vendors knew that too and PSUs with a layer of cement in the bottom to increase weight of complete trash have been spotted in the wild. Not saying that would be the case here, but it's always a good idea to look for more info of remotely available - particularly given the Antec problem: good heavy design let down by caps with poor lifespan.

Reply 8 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote on 2023-02-13, 11:03:

Trust didn't actually manufacture anything themselves, they just bought up overstock odd lots in Taiwan and Shenzhen, slapped their sticker on it and sold it at low but for them profitable prices. Mostly it was complete crap, but sometimes they were actually decent and overstock for other reason. It was completely random.

That said, I would never trust a Trust PSU without finding out who actually made it and what model it really was first.

Regarding testing by weight: in the absence of anything better, it's a good rule of thumb, but some very unscrupulous vendors knew that too and PSUs with a layer of cement in the bottom to increase weight of complete trash have been spotted in the wild. Not saying that would be the case here, but it's always a good idea to look for more info of remotely available - particularly given the Antec problem: good heavy design let down by caps with poor lifespan.

I knew about these 'cement' (or concrete, whatever it was they used) extra weighted PSUs even back then. Didn't know it was a layer at the bottom. I have 'unfortunately' never ran into one such PSU.

For some reason back then I had the thought on my mind of some very unscrupulous PSU designers potentially replacing the passive PFC with a block of cement as that seemed like a good spot to hide it.

Yes, it's always best to look up the part number 🙂
And yes, back then it was usually a good rule of thumb that heavier PSUs were usually better quality, if only because the weight differences were sometimes really very noticeable. The very first PSU I ever bought (I knew hardly anything about retro computing back then) was a Premier and it weighted significantly less than the second hand FSP PSU that was supposedly the same wattage (both 300W).
Even had a nice sticker on it, yep I fell for it. But thankfully only once and I didn't pay an arm or a leg for it at least.

Sorry for being off-topic now for a bit, but since you're also from The Netherlands, did you also notice that back in the days when ATX was new and PSUs went from 235W to, say, 300W, that the most commonly used better quality PSU in old PCs was FSP?
I either found PCs with an FSP unit, or a gutless wonder, and only occasionally a PSU from a reputable manufacturer (of course I also found a lot of non-standard PSUs used in Dells and such). But of all the ATX PCs I found on the streets, the most common PSU I ended up with were made by FSP (and maybe some by Powerman and a few other brands like that).

Do note that I'd usually not bother to take home a PSU of crappy build quality so the brands I found (especially in the beginning) may be somewhat scewed. But FSP seemed to be a relatively big player back then (or at least here in The Netherlands).

I am also guessing that most people who did end up buying a quality PSU from another brand (like Antec for instance) ended up reselling their PC instead of throwing it away, since these owners would probably also be more knowledgeable about the true value of the parts they used. Or at least that's what I'm thinking because back then I didn't have any money, nor any real computer experience when ATX was brand new.

Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 11, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote on 2023-02-13, 12:34:
[...] […]
Show full quote

[...]

Sorry for being off-topic now for a bit, but since you're also from The Netherlands, did you also notice that back in the days when ATX was new and PSUs went from 235W to, say, 300W, that the most commonly used better quality PSU in old PCs was FSP?
I either found PCs with an FSP unit, or a gutless wonder, and only occasionally a PSU from a reputable manufacturer (of course I also found a lot of non-standard PSUs used in Dells and such). But of all the ATX PCs I found on the streets, the most common PSU I ended up with were made by FSP (and maybe some by Powerman and a few other brands like that).

Do note that I'd usually not bother to take home a PSU of crappy build quality so the brands I found (especially in the beginning) may be somewhat scewed. But FSP seemed to be a relatively big player back then (or at least here in The Netherlands).

I am also guessing that most people who did end up buying a quality PSU from another brand (like Antec for instance) ended up reselling their PC instead of throwing it away, since these owners would probably also be more knowledgeable about the true value of the parts they used. Or at least that's what I'm thinking because back then I didn't have any money, nor any real computer experience when ATX was brand new.

Definitely agree. I have a big pile of period PSUs, basically anything not complete crap I come across goes into the box. >75% is FSP, mainly AOpen-branded. I don't think people would sell on their big-brand PSUs more specifically. Antec seems to have been the biggest name brand here and I strongly expect almost all those just failed over time. I have two nice heavy Antec EA-500EC Earthpower 500W of just over 10 years old, both of which were highly regarded when new and both failed, one catastrophically with sparks & smoke and the other just slowly faded to the point the i7 with GTX1060 it was powering sank into instability, which instantly disappeared after replacing the PSU.

Not that FSP never dies, I had one blow out with a flash a while back, but that's one (an early ATX 2.2 unit from peak cap plague era) out of maybe 20, which beats 2 out of 2 handily. In the end the dead ones get thrown out and only the survivors remain. Apparently FSP did quite a few things right.

One day I intend to completely refurb some of these units, replacing all the caps and maybe some of the MOSFETs, particularly late ATX 2.1 ones with the kind of big, heavy 5V line you don't get today. But no time for the time being.

Reply 10 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Trust didn't actually manufacture anything themselves, they just bought up overstock odd lots in Taiwan and Shenzhen, slapped th […]
Show full quote

Trust didn't actually manufacture anything themselves, they just bought up overstock odd lots in Taiwan and Shenzhen, slapped their sticker on it and sold it at low but for them profitable prices.
Mostly it was complete crap, but sometimes they were actually decent and overstock for other reason. It was completely random.

I knew about these 'cement' (or concrete, whatever it was they used) extra weighted PSUs even back then. Didn't know it was a layer at the bottom. I have 'unfortunately' never ran into one such PSU.

Ah, the old trick is still around ? Really ? 😁

Back in the 80s/90s, high quality equipment became too lightweight because of advancements in technology.
So what did manufacturers of oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers etc do ? They installed heavy metal plates made of lead down in the chassis! No kidding!
This was important to them, because the overpriced equipment wasn't allowed to be lightweight (lightweight equals cheap).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote on 2023-02-13, 14:47:
Ah, the old trick is still around ? Really ? :D […]
Show full quote
Trust didn't actually manufacture anything themselves, they just bought up overstock odd lots in Taiwan and Shenzhen, slapped th […]
Show full quote

Trust didn't actually manufacture anything themselves, they just bought up overstock odd lots in Taiwan and Shenzhen, slapped their sticker on it and sold it at low but for them profitable prices.
Mostly it was complete crap, but sometimes they were actually decent and overstock for other reason. It was completely random.

Ah, the old trick is still around ? Really ? 😁

Back in the 80s/90s, high quality equipment became too lightweight because of advancements in technology.
So what did manufacturers of oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers etc do ? They installed heavy metal plates made of lead down in the chassis! No kidding!
This was important to them, because the overpriced equipment wasn't allowed to be lightweight (lightweight equals cheap).

🤣! Never heard about that one! 😜
Really odd to overpay for lead 😜

On the topic of parts getting lighter, this was noticeable in optical and floppy drives. The older ones tend to be more elaborate, multiple PCBs, intricately assembled and fairly heavy where the most recent ones felt more like single cast (almost as if they were made mostly of cheap plastics) and much lighter. Could actually be interesting to actually go weight the older and newer drives at some point in time. I will put it onto my (quite long unfortunately) todo list 😜

Report spammers here!