VOGONS

Death Rally & Solar Winds

Topic actions

First post, by Dunk

User metadata

Anyone had any luck getting these to work?
I managed to get the second episode of Solar winds going for a bit. Not tested it fully. First one seems to lock up on the intro. And not had any luck with Death rally.
Anyone got these working & can offer a few tips?

Reply 3 of 33, by Dunk

User metadata

Yeah, checked for patches. Death rally works if you run without sound, but locks up when loading if you run with sound.

Solar Winds 1 just dies on the intro. I never seemed to get the problems Rela posted. Played thru the whole series on the old 486. Be great if i could get it running again. Next to Millennium 2.2 and Deuteros on the old Atari ST they have to be some of my best memories of gaming.

Reply 4 of 33, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I tried running Solar Winds 1 with VDMS v2.0.4 update 1 under WinXP and it seems to freeze whenever the game tries to play a digitized sound effect. I didn't try playing without sound yet though. Has anyone had any success with this game yet?

Reply 5 of 33, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm... Nope. I tried disabling *everything* in both the game and the emulation (memory management, sound hardware, etc.) It keeps locking up in the first scene of the intro. Maybe it's a timing issue - I'll try some slowdown utilities next.

Reply 6 of 33, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No luck with slowdown utils either. Even tried speeding things up with speedset. I guess this game is a write-off (at least as far as what end-users like me can do about it).

Reply 7 of 33, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I was going to suggest DosBox, but it appears to lock on the first screen as well. Disabling audio has no effect. Oddly, music will continue to play properly, but nothing else...

Reply 8 of 33, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is. I guess maybe it's trying to do something for timing or animation or memory access that isn't working under WinXP or DosBox (not that I tried it under DosBox myself). I believe the game is supposed to be able to run on a 286 if that reveals anything.

Reply 9 of 33, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by HunterZ DosBox (not that I tried it under DosBox myself). I believe the game is supposed to be able to run on a 286 if that reveals anything.

Well DosBox provides the equivalent of a 386 environment, so I'm not sure why it's seizing up. Didn't generate an error message to help with troubleshooting either.

I was able to run it very poorly while testing with Virtual PC 5. That's obviously overkill and it still didn't run well... Apparently. it "Hates NT". Best bet is to hope future revisions of DosBox run it well...

Reply 11 of 33, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I remember both games working fine with dosbox. (Well at least the Death rally thing(as I see know that Solar winds is from 93..... so that might be tricky))
for death rally you need the play with the cycles a bit to get everything allright.

They should run with the 0.57 release (didn't test it.)

Qbix

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 12 of 33, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Qbix I remember both games working fine with dosbox. (Well at least the Death rally thing(as I see know that Solar winds is from 93..... so that might be tricky)

Eh? I'm confident that Solar Winds doesn't use a protected mode as it will run on DosBox without any "unsupported" errors. It's just that it never progresses past the first screen of the intro (music keeps playing).

As for "Death Rally", it's from 1996 and requires a Pentium, so DosBox is definitely a no-go.

BTW, Not sure how I missed "Death Rally" in the initial post, but please read the "Death Rally" post in this "Problem Child" thread:
showthread.php?threadid=726

Reply 13 of 33, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Ah i see I was mistaken

it was death track i was thinking of.....
So solar winds isn't working either.....
Mmm Maybe report it on the the debug board of dosbox then....

Stupid me !;)
Qbix

Reply 14 of 33, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Qbix Mmm Maybe report it on the the debug board of dosbox then....

Only thing is, what would I report? No errors were generated. It simply wouldn't proceed beyond the opening screen.

Reply 15 of 33, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It's on that board of the beta testers. Don't know if you can acces it.
Well telling that it hangs would be enough and a location were to get it. Maybe trying it with sound disabled as well. The sound is known to crash games/(not hang)

If you register at it. send me a pm and I will give you the same access as Stiletto and snover.

Reply 16 of 33, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My guess is it hangs even without sound, as that is the case in WinXP+VDMSound. I wonder what both the NTVDM and DOSBox have in common that could be causing Solar Winds to freeze?

Reply 17 of 33, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Qbix Maybe trying it with sound disabled as well.

Already done, no difference.

If you register at it. send me a pm and I will give you the same access as Stiletto and snover.

Hrmm. Not sure which one that is...this one?:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=52551&atid=467232

Reply 18 of 33, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Hrmm. Not sure which one that is...this one?:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?gro...551&atid=467232

nope
Try http://arem.apinc.org/dosbox

My guess is it hangs even without sound, as that is the case in WinXP+VDMSound. I wonder what both the NTVDM and DOSBox have in common that could be causing Solar Winds to freeze?

well their approach is different. They don't have much in common in general.

Reply 19 of 33, by Unregistered

User metadata
Dunk wrote:

Anyone had any luck getting these to work?
I managed to get the second episode of Solar winds going for a bit. Not tested it fully. First one seems to lock up on the intro. And not had any luck with Death rally.
Anyone got these working & can offer a few tips?

For Death Rally, run it with the /W switch. It worked for me. I'm using XP SP1 and VDMSOUND 2.0.4 Update 1 by the way.