VOGONS

Reply 300 of 344, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would suggest setting the fractional sampling rate adjustment back to zero unless you are 100% sure it is necessary, and adjusting phase visually

Reply 304 of 344, by d3vilsadvocate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I’d like to chime in by saying the Extron 300 is total garbage. Or maybe my model is, but I fear it‘s not just my device.

The quality is utterly disappointing and there is terrible permanent ‚ghosting ‚ (i.e. smudge-like effect on letters and windows menu, extremely irritating).

I don‘t quite know what to get now. The Retrotink isn‘t very compatible with Pc resolutions and everything else is just big cluster****

EDIT:I'd like to point out that my VGA cable was responsible for the smudge-like effect. I'm still not overly happy with my Extron and replaced it with an OSSC. The OSSC is just in a different league altogether.

Last edited by d3vilsadvocate on 2023-03-26, 20:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 305 of 344, by dekkit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
d3vilsadvocate wrote on 2023-03-01, 21:26:
I’d like to chime in by saying the Extron 300 is total garbage. Or maybe my model is, but I fear it‘s not just my device. Th […]
Show full quote

I’d like to chime in by saying the Extron 300 is total garbage. Or maybe my model is, but I fear it‘s not just my device.

The quality is utterly disappointing and there is terrible permanent ‚ghosting ‚ (i.e. smudge-like effect on letters and windows menu, extremely irritating).

I don‘t quite know what to get now. The Retrotink isn‘t very compatible with Pc resolutions and everything else is just big cluster****

Do you have a screenshot of the effect? I checked my test results and I couldnt see obvious ghosting in my pics on the 300 I have

Ghosting *can* be related to poor cabling (vga side) and poor grounding of the socket.

Sometimes that may be caused by a socket not being properly soldered in or solder around the socket having cracked due to movement ( ie dry solder joint).

Note: Once I cleaned up the settings on my video card (to output standard refresh rates), the extron 300 for me has been pretty solid with the lcd panels ive tested it on.

Reply 306 of 344, by wd_retro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Question:
Will the Extron RGB-HDMI 300 output MS-DOS 320x200 video at the correct 70Hz, or will it frameskip down to 60Hz? Is there a setting to control this and you can switch the output framerate, or is it just fixed and you get the one speed it can do?
It looks like the Extron could be the solution I'm looking for, if it doesn't frameskip, but I'm not totally clear on that.

Reply 308 of 344, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dekkit wrote on 2023-03-01, 21:58:
Do you have a screenshot of the effect? I checked my test results and I couldnt see obvious ghosting in my pics on the 300 I h […]
Show full quote
I’d like to chime in by saying the Extron 300 is total garbage. Or maybe my model is, but I fear it‘s not just my device. Th […]
Show full quote

Do you have a screenshot of the effect? I checked my test results and I couldnt see obvious ghosting in my pics on the 300 I have

Ghosting *can* be related to poor cabling (vga side) and poor grounding of the socket.

Sometimes that may be caused by a socket not being properly soldered in or solder around the socket having cracked due to movement ( ie dry solder joint).

Note: Once I cleaned up the settings on my video card (to output standard refresh rates), the extron 300 for me has been pretty solid with the lcd panels ive tested it on.

i have had no such issues as well

as you said, cabling, video card, and/or various settings would be the most likely culprits

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 309 of 344, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Show full quote

One slight issue with a Cirrus Logic in my 486... jailbar pattern which really isnt that bad.

Re: ISA Graphics Cards - need solid advice inbetween all the confusing scene

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 310 of 344, by Eruneretero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
iraito wrote on 2023-01-28, 13:09:
dekkit wrote on 2023-01-28, 12:06:
iraito wrote on 2023-01-25, 09:02:

Yep it does just that and take into account that the pictures you see posted are passing through a generic capture card that's a bit blurry and has a horrible red channel resolution, the results are incredibly crisp and you can center the picture in pretty much all cases, i was also able to upscale a res of 640x480 to pretty good results, it's honestly one of the best methods for this kind of stuff, it's opensource, readly available and cheap.

Out of interest what is your setup?
And in particular what graphic card are you using?

My setup is: Retro PC ---> VGA splitter ---> VGA to VGA2SCART sync converter ---> GBS-C ---> VGA with sync converter and upscale to HDMI ---> HDMI to capture card --->OBS

That's only for DOS and 640x480 (from 800x600 i send the signal converted to HDMI directly to the capture card), You can see the GPUs i use in my sign, the Win95 one uses a matrox G200 and a voodoo2.

Hey all. First post here 😀

I'm using a GBS-C too, but the picture isn't great... My built-in monitor scaler is doing a better job.

Though, I'm using VGA as Input.
So I'm trying to find the best solution and saw your comments.

Why does the VGA2Scart sync converter help in that regard? (thinking of buying one)
And does it have to be VGA to HDMI as Output? Why not straight HDMI (or VGA)?

Plus, I've to mention, that my case maybe a little bit special.
I'm not using a "regular" DOS machine/pc, but a Japanese NEC PC-9821 (+ Matrox Millennium card).

The resolutions at disposal are either 640x400@56Hz (24kHz) or 700x400@70Hz (31kHz). Could your setup work for my case?

So many questions^^. Thanks in advance.

Reply 311 of 344, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OSSC + EVGA XR1 Lite working very well for low resolution graphics modes. Better on all modes than the Gefen VGA to DVI scaler (a piece of crap in comparison). I'll make a video at some point.

Leave it to the "amateurs" to do something better than the "professionals".

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 312 of 344, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Eruneretero wrote on 2023-03-22, 17:12:
Hey all. First post here :) […]
Show full quote
dekkit wrote on 2023-01-28, 12:06:

Out of interest what is your setup?
And in particular what graphic card are you using?

My setup is: Retro PC ---> VGA splitter ---> VGA to VGA2SCART sync converter ---> GBS-C ---> VGA with sync converter and upscale to HDMI ---> HDMI to capture card --->OBS

That's only for DOS and 640x480 (from 800x600 i send the signal converted to HDMI directly to the capture card), You can see the GPUs i use in my sign, the Win95 one uses a matrox G200 and a voodoo2.

I'm using a GBS-C too, but the picture isn't great... My built-in monitor scaler is doing a better job.

Why does the VGA2Scart sync converter help in that regard? (thinking of buying one)

I'm not using a "regular" DOS machine/pc, but a Japanese NEC PC-9821 (+ Matrox Millennium card).

The resolutions at disposal are either 640x400@56Hz (24kHz) or 700x400@70Hz (31kHz). Could your setup work for my case?

Without VGA2SCART the picture is going to be incredibly unstable because of the nature of the signal, the quality for me is excellent but i use the GBS only for the capturing part.
I added some screenshot to give you an example of the quality.

Attachments

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 313 of 344, by Eruneretero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
iraito wrote on 2023-03-23, 14:39:
Eruneretero wrote on 2023-03-22, 17:12:
Hey all. First post here :) […]
Show full quote

Without VGA2SCART the picture is going to be incredibly unstable because of the nature of the signal, the quality for me is excellent but i use the GBS only for the capturing part.
I added some screenshot to give you an example of the quality.

Hm, I understand. Well, the Screenshots look very good.

What about the output (from the GBS-C)? What kind of device are you using?

Reply 314 of 344, by Eruneretero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote on 2023-03-22, 18:02:

OSSC + EVGA XR1 Lite working very well for low resolution graphics modes. Better on all modes than the Gefen VGA to DVI scaler (a piece of crap in comparison). I'll make a video at some point.

Leave it to the "amateurs" to do something better than the "professionals".

What is the reason behind using a capture device? (Sorry, I'm fairly new to the whole "upscaler scene"...thought I was safe with just using a GBS-C...)

Reply 315 of 344, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use a vga to hdmi converter for the capture card, the capture card is used to record my games and for streaming, you can omit both and just use vga.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 316 of 344, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Eruneretero wrote on 2023-03-23, 16:31:

What is the reason behind using a capture device? (Sorry, I'm fairly new to the whole "upscaler scene"...thought I was safe with just using a GBS-C...)

I got this thread mixed up with the other one talking about capturing - but the OSSC just outputs HDMI and will do so to any old LCD screen getting you a much better picture than those "professional" scalers that take the "giving up" approach to lining up the pixels: turning each one into a blurry blob.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 317 of 344, by Dusko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone.

Do any of you can help me with this: Re: VGA Scaler for DOS w/ Audio and an option to disable Video input notification (when the resolution changes)

Thank You!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@myoldpc9458

Reply 318 of 344, by Dusko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-06-18, 02:46:
After lots of comparisons between manuals (specs and OSD layout) and physical layout, I am about 99% convinced that the Startec […]
Show full quote

After lots of comparisons between manuals (specs and OSD layout) and physical layout, I am about 99% convinced that the Startech VGA2HDMI Pro (first version) is a rebranded CYP SY-P293 . If that is the case, the SY-P293 should have undocumented 720x400@70Hz input support (because the VGA2HDMI Pro does) and documented 1024x768@70Hz output support .

So, in the interest of science, I am seriously considering buying one . Should I ?

I already have a
- Gefen VGA to DVI Scaler PLUS (dead)
- OSSC rev. 1.6
- Extron RGB-DVI 300
- Crestron HD-SCALER-VGA-E
- CYP CP-254
- CYP CP-253 (in the mail)

Or do I need to seek help ?

It's been a while since you posted this! I hope you are doing fine.
I wanted to ask you, out of all those scalers, which one worked the best?

https://www.youtube.com/@myoldpc9458

Reply 319 of 344, by StriderTR

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First off, Hello!

Long time browser, first time poster, and an old classic geek!

After browsing this thread, and others, in search of a reasonably priced way of capturing DOS resolutions over VGA. I think I've settled on the Extron RGB-DVI 300, but have a quick question I hope a user of that device, or the HDMI version, can tell me.

• It's going to be used to upscale the VGA DOS output from a Win95 powered retro mini PC (linked below) so I can then feed that into an inexpensive HDMI/USB capture device for short video clips and screenshots.
  • It will not be feeding my display, so frame lag is not important to me. I will be splitting the VGA signal, one going to the scaler, one directly to my display.
  • I went with the DVI version and intend to just use a DVI to HDMI dongle. The DVI versions are more readily available at more reasonable prices, in better condition, and with their OEM power supplies at the moment on eBay.

Specifically, this is the one I bought and waiting to arrive: https://www.ebay.com/itm/353970649033 $40 shipped.

My question is...

If I read all this correctly, it will scale DOS resolutions like 320x240 and 740x400@70 and output my selected resolution at 60Hz? Do you foresee any major issues?

OK, that's 2 questions... 🤣

If so, it will fit me needs perfectly. I'm not going for top notch quality here, just captures to use on a simple blog. If not, I'm not out much, and I can use it for other things.

This is the WIn95 system in question. https://theclassicgeek.blogspot.com/2023/03/m … -with-epia.html

Forgive me if I typo'ed anything, it's 1:30AM and a long day. 😜

Thank you very much in advance!

Retro Blog: https://theclassicgeek.blogspot.com/
Archive: https://archive.org/details/@theclassicgeek/
3D Things: https://www.thingiverse.com/classicgeek/collections