VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MMAN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having weird problems with VDos32 (on XP); it just starts crashing when Tomb Raider is started up despite it working the previous time I was playing. Its happened several times now, and I need to ask about it. My closest guess seems to be that anything can fix it, from reinstalling TR (despite the fact the settings should be identical), Glidos, or even VDMSound (which it apparently doesn't even use).

It's really annoying, especially since it's so completely random (it works perfectly one minute, then is impossible to use the next). The crash happens even when a game is launched from VDos32 without Glidos, so I guess that closes off some potential causes.

Reply 6 of 12, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Selecting all the text of that error, pasting it into a text file and sending that to me might help, but really I have no idea. No one else has reported this sort of thing.

Running orthos at the same time as a 3D game (other than Glidos ones) would be worth doing.

Try running the software version of TR1 via VDos32.

Try configuring no audio in TR1 and play like that to see if that helps.

Reply 7 of 12, by MMAN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was running intensive games at the time I was using Orthos, so I've already did that, I've also tried the other suggestions (which didn't work).

It doesn't let me select the text of that error for copying, but I can send the text file it mentions.

Reply 8 of 12, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Two of the suggestions were to try to get more information.

So running the software version of TR1 under VDos32 crashes in the same way?

Running setup.exe to configure TR1 to not use audio and then running it also leads to a crash?

Ah, new one: does it crash in the same way if you start a new game, rather than load a save game?

That text file might help. Worth a try.

Also I may be able to make a version that will display a few parameters which may tell us something. I'll look into that when I can find some time.

Reply 9 of 12, by MMAN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The sound test I did was turning it off in Glidos, so I'll try turning it off in DOS when it starts happening again (It's working again right now).

When it's crashing it happens whether I'm using VDos32 in Glidos or not (I haven't tested while it's working in Glidos; I'll go do that now).

Edit: VDos32 works on its own when it's working in Glidos, although it gives an error that Glidos isn't present after loading.

Ah, new one: does it crash in the same way if you start a new game, rather than load a save game?

This crash happens before the game starts, so I can't test that.

Heres the text file, if you can make sense of it:

Attachments

• Filename
    erru.txt
    File size
    5.74 KiB
    Downloads
    450 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 12, by MMAN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've captured part of the message (capturing all of it would take ages, and the rest is all very similar to what I end on), it's a bit artifacted due to trying to keep the size small, but it hopefully doesn't make the text any less readable. You'll probably have to pause it throughout since I go relatively fast.

Here's the link (hopefully you can play it): http://files.filefront.com/Test0067avi/;83134 … ;/fileinfo.html

Reply 12 of 12, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Neat idea with AVI, but sorry I can't work with that. I'd need to be able to do textual searches. There must be some trick or other for pulling out the text. Next time I have something crash, I'll see if I can find out.