VOGONS

First post, by zecahue

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I am experimenting with a MU-50 and I have some questions to more experienced users.

When a GM signal is sent to the module it automatically detects and use the mode TG-300 which is the GM compatible mode, right? But some games I prefer the XG mode, even if don't sounds original.

Is there a way to "force" or disable the automatic mode?

Thx!

-edit- Change the mode after the playback begins is easy to do, this is not the question just to be clear.

Reply 1 of 5, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

TG-300 is the SC-55 GS compatible mode. Most MU units will auto select XG mode for midis with true GM Reset messages. I have no experience with the MU50 though. Try adding a proper GM Reset sysex message to the start of your MIDI files.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 2 of 5, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just tested this with my own MU50 and it doesn't auto-switch to TG-300 mode. I tested it with X-Wing, Master of Magic and Warcraft using standard GM settings.

What games are you seeing the switching behavior with?

I also looked up in the manual is there is nothing in there about auto-switching to TG-300 mode. Though the manual does state that if an XG init message is received, it will switch to XG mode automatically.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 3 of 5, by zecahue

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-03-10, 02:39:

I just tested this with my own MU50 and it doesn't auto-switch to TG-300 mode. I tested it with X-Wing, Master of Magic and Warcraft using standard GM settings.

What games are you seeing the switching behavior with?

I also looked up in the manual is there is nothing in there about auto-switching to TG-300 mode. Though the manual does state that if an XG init message is received, it will switch to XG mode automatically.

When I installed the MU I had only Doom in that machine, so I thought it was something related to the module, but seems it is something related to the game that always force to TG-300 mode.

Tried in other games now and that doesn't happen.

Reply 4 of 5, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The MU50 will switch operating modes based on reception of the following messages:

XG System On -> XG mode
GM System On -> XG mode (w/Bank Select and NRPN reception disabled)
GS Reset -> TG300B mode
Disk Orchestra On -> DOC mode

You can "lock" the unit to whatever mode it's currently in with the following System setting:

RcvGMExcl =off

If you're going to do this, I'd suggest performing some sort of manual reset before the start of each game, either physically, by switching from XG mode to one of the other modes and then back, or by sending a SysEx sequence instead:

F0 43 10 49 00 00 03 01 F7 ; RECEIVE GM ON (ON)
F0 43 10 4C 00 00 7E 00 F7 ; XG SYSTEM ON
F0 43 10 49 00 00 03 00 F7 ; RECEIVE GM ON (OFF)

Last edited by Cloudschatze on 2023-03-10, 06:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 5, by zecahue

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cloudschatze wrote on 2023-03-10, 04:15:
The MU50 will switch operating modes based on reception of the following messages: […]
Show full quote

The MU50 will switch operating modes based on reception of the following messages:

XG System On -> XG mode
GM System On -> XG mode
GS Reset -> TG300B mode
Disk Orchestra On -> DOC mode

You can "lock" the unit to whatever mode it's currently in with the following System setting:

RcvGMExcl =off

If you're going to do this, I'd suggest performing some sort of manual reset before the start of each game, either physically, by switching from XG mode to one of the other modes and then back, or by sending a SysEx sequence instead:

F0 43 10 49 00 00 03 01 F7 ; RECEIVE GM ON (ON)
F0 43 10 4C 00 00 7E 00 F7 ; XG SYSTEM ON
F0 43 10 49 00 00 03 00 F7 ; RECEIVE GM ON (OFF)

Thank you very much! That's the trick! I think this solve this, and possible others issues.