VOGONS

Any chance this MX440 has a 128 bit bus width?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by AngryByDefault

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-08-22, 13:43:

At OP Well, look up the data sheet for the ram chips.

Yeah, but pics in most of the ads I see are not clear enough to read the chip's markings. Then again, maybe I can't count mem's pad from those either.. I'll check that out...

>> If total bus width of all chips is less than 128 then 128-bit isn’t possible.
>> But if it is 128 or larger, it is possible that ram is double stacked as 64-bit.

Hence the bottom issue still is whether or not the double-stacking can be confirmed with just an image of the card...

But I guess the answer is probably no.

Reply 21 of 23, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AngryByDefault wrote on 2023-08-22, 14:58:
Yeah, but pics in most of the ads I see are not clear enough to read the chip's markings. Then again, maybe I can't count mem's […]
Show full quote
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-08-22, 13:43:

At OP Well, look up the data sheet for the ram chips.

Yeah, but pics in most of the ads I see are not clear enough to read the chip's markings. Then again, maybe I can't count mem's pad from those either.. I'll check that out...

>> If total bus width of all chips is less than 128 then 128-bit isn’t possible.
>> But if it is 128 or larger, it is possible that ram is double stacked as 64-bit.

Hence the bottom issue still is whether or not the double-stacking can be confirmed with just an image of the card...

But I guess the answer is probably no.

A investigation of traces and the bus width of the chips can help you make a educated guess. To be sure, you could dump the bios and open it in rabit or maybe check gpu-z

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 22 of 23, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Safe bet could be LQFB memory chips (rectangular chips with contacts on 4 sides), I didn't come across any 64bit version with these memory chips.

Reply 23 of 23, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BGA is a good chance it's 128-bit as well. This one has 4 chips, 2 on the front and 2 on the back and it's 128-bit: