VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 860 of 1036, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-09-13, 22:24:

Bought and received Elitedesk 800 G3 mini 16GB and i3 in it, this one is vented top with copper heatsink which is for 65W CPU, also is replaceable up to i7-7700, which is to play with older windows and linux.

Cheers,

I seem to have collected quite a bevy of those now.
Any interesting plans for yours? Will it need a i7-7700 for some purpose or just because you want to?

Reply 861 of 1036, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-11-04, 20:11:
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-09-13, 22:24:

Bought and received Elitedesk 800 G3 mini 16GB and i3 in it, this one is vented top with copper heatsink which is for 65W CPU, also is replaceable up to i7-7700, which is to play with older windows and linux.

Cheers,

I seem to have collected quite a bevy of those now.
Any interesting plans for yours? Will it need a i7-7700 for some purpose or just because you want to?

I always upgrade or start with high end CPUs once they are affordable.
If the computer allowed me to buy up to 150 a month either a computer or parts for the computer, yes!

Older windows is 10 or 7 due to current version is windows 11. Which I have also done for windows 11 to learn on, have one 800 G5 mini with i5-9500, 32GB and 1TB NVME.
Windows 11 breaks new ground and so many to learn about and was most expensive of all PC I spent on, around 500 total or so.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 862 of 1036, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm failing to find semi-obscure Windows configuration information again. Search engines just bring up the same completely wrong information copied and pasted to multiple forums by "experts." I don't know if there is official Windows configuration documentation anywhere, but I will probably have to pay for it.

The problem of the day is that Windows sees my second monitor as display 1 and my primary monitor as display 2. That's completely different from which display has the "Make this my main display" box checked. The monitor that has that box checked is still listed as display 2, and some software opens on the secondary monitor instead of the one marked as the primary (they're looking for display 1 instead of the primary display, which are different things because Windows is a great OS). The only thing I can find is the same old "check the box" response, even when the person who started the thread makes it extremely clear that the box is already checked. Maybe I should turn on both monitors instead of only turning the second monitor on when I need it (it's a monitor that's still detected by Windows when turned off - the monitor that I want as a primary is not detected when it's turned off, but it also powers down its built-in USB hub, which is annoying).

The reason for turning the monitors off is another problem where the monitors randomly leave power-saving mode and start displaying an image, even though I didn't move the mouse or press any keys. Once again, the Internet happily provides instructions for disabling sleep in Windows, even though that's unrelated (and I already have sleep turned off). Maybe turning sleep back on (on a desktop that's powered on 24/7) is somehow the answer in a strange backwards way. It's nice to have the computer fully powered on to let updates and antivirus run in the background, but with my computer, Internet speed is the bottleneck for that stuff.

I wonder if there was Windows configuration training if I stuck with pursuing IT as a career instead of stopping at the A+. I hope my previous rant on the A+ test (in another thread) didn't offend actual IT professionals. The reality is that I feel bad for new IT people because misinformation has taken over like this. It isn't like 15-20 years ago when I was first learning.

Reply 863 of 1036, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lti wrote on 2023-11-05, 01:55:
I'm failing to find semi-obscure Windows configuration information again. Search engines just bring up the same completely wrong […]
Show full quote

I'm failing to find semi-obscure Windows configuration information again. Search engines just bring up the same completely wrong information copied and pasted to multiple forums by "experts." I don't know if there is official Windows configuration documentation anywhere, but I will probably have to pay for it.

The problem of the day is that Windows sees my second monitor as display 1 and my primary monitor as display 2. That's completely different from which display has the "Make this my main display" box checked. The monitor that has that box checked is still listed as display 2, and some software opens on the secondary monitor instead of the one marked as the primary (they're looking for display 1 instead of the primary display, which are different things because Windows is a great OS). The only thing I can find is the same old "check the box" response, even when the person who started the thread makes it extremely clear that the box is already checked. Maybe I should turn on both monitors instead of only turning the second monitor on when I need it (it's a monitor that's still detected by Windows when turned off - the monitor that I want as a primary is not detected when it's turned off, but it also powers down its built-in USB hub, which is annoying).

The reason for turning the monitors off is another problem where the monitors randomly leave power-saving mode and start displaying an image, even though I didn't move the mouse or press any keys. Once again, the Internet happily provides instructions for disabling sleep in Windows, even though that's unrelated (and I already have sleep turned off). Maybe turning sleep back on (on a desktop that's powered on 24/7) is somehow the answer in a strange backwards way. It's nice to have the computer fully powered on to let updates and antivirus run in the background, but with my computer, Internet speed is the bottleneck for that stuff.

I wonder if there was Windows configuration training if I stuck with pursuing IT as a career instead of stopping at the A+. I hope my previous rant on the A+ test (in another thread) didn't offend actual IT professionals. The reality is that I feel bad for new IT people because misinformation has taken over like this. It isn't like 15-20 years ago when I was first learning.

Ditto, Happens often on notebooks. Very annoying.
Cheers,

Reply 864 of 1036, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-11-04, 19:50:
acl wrote on 2023-11-02, 09:13:

Will use a non retro computer to fill insurance papers after storm Ciaran made my neighbor's tree to fall on stuff in my garden
Screenshot from 2023-11-02 10-09-49.png

Its been brutal so far. Sso many seem completely unprepared for this kind of thing. I had to take a 4 mile detour earlier today when one of the back roads I usually use was completely flooded.

At least the tree fell that way and not on the house...

Yes, i'm lucky. Only a wall... and my kids swing and slide set (which is crushed under the tree)
My other neighbor had his roof damaged, friends had their house also damaged.
Hopefully no one i know was hurt.
But a lot of trees all around the city are gone.

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 865 of 1036, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lti wrote on 2023-11-05, 01:55:
I'm failing to find semi-obscure Windows configuration information again. Search engines just bring up the same completely wrong […]
Show full quote

Theres a reason for that, and that is that your graphics card senses the monitor that you dont want to use and it is attached to output1 on the video card.
You need to physically change it so the monitor you want to be the first monitor is on the output that your graphics card sees as output1.
That is the output that will display the BIOS/UEFI screen on initial boot if all screens are powered on at boot.

You will still get the problem you are getting when you want to use the monitor that is plugged into output2 as monitor1 but you should stop getting the problem of monitor1 being seen as monitor2.
Thats why your getting problems with check boxes etc in Windows settings.

Are you using nvidia, ATI or Intel graphics chips? It only matters because of the software control panel changes the advice.

As to monitor USB ports powering down that is an energystar compliance thing and it does that by design. You monitor might or might not have a feature to turn that feature off in its settings, but you will if you want to do it via Windows drivers need the manufacturers drivers to do it, I doubt the generic Windows drivers will allow it. There might also be a monitor gui setting for it...

Reply 866 of 1036, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm on Intel graphics, and this motherboard only has one of each type of port (no DisplayPort either - that always seemed strange). I haven't tried entering the BIOS with both monitors connected, but the splash screen and Windows loading screen appear on both monitors at the same time.

This monitor doesn't seem to have any control over USB power. There's a menu item called "USB," but it's always grayed out. It does keep the hub powered in sleep (since I once had a wireless mouse plugged into the hub to bring the receiver closer), but the hub is shut down if you turn the monitor off with the power button.

Reply 868 of 1036, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Booted into W10 after almost 2 months.
It was a huge disappointment, I can't but see disaster. Top pc specs and yet it sucks in many ways nad is slow.
Thankfully I just use it to play games that don't run on Linux.

This was a rant. Sorry.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 869 of 1036, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2018-06-15, 16:30:
gdjacobs wrote:

Hey, Kreshna, what was for supper? 😀

Ever heard of ketupat? Usually eaten with gule, which is Indonesian version of mutton curry.

Now, I really have to watch my weight. 🙁

thought you said glue

RETIRED
This user is no longer active on VOGONS.

Reply 870 of 1036, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2023-11-09, 23:34:
Booted into W10 after almost 2 months. It was a huge disappointment, I can't but see disaster. Top pc specs and yet it sucks in […]
Show full quote

Booted into W10 after almost 2 months.
It was a huge disappointment, I can't but see disaster. Top pc specs and yet it sucks in many ways nad is slow.
Thankfully I just use it to play games that don't run on Linux.

This was a rant. Sorry.

it's so unfair most of my stuff doesn't work in Debian, the ancillaries.

RETIRED
This user is no longer active on VOGONS.

Reply 871 of 1036, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-11-07, 19:53:

The BIOS displays on both screens at the same time?

I finally restarted to check, and the BIOS does display on both monitors at the same time.

Reply 872 of 1036, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
twiz11 wrote on 2023-11-09, 23:37:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2018-06-15, 16:30:
gdjacobs wrote:

Hey, Kreshna, what was for supper? 😀

Ever heard of ketupat? Usually eaten with gule, which is Indonesian version of mutton curry.

Now, I really have to watch my weight. 🙁

thought you said glue

Bone broth is just really weak/thin glue, change my mind 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 873 of 1036, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you know...

fujitsu-esprimo-p557-mt---Kopie-2-.jpg
Filename
File size
303.34 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

If you want to fit a slim line cd drive to a Fujitsu office pc you have to buy a specific one?
So nice of Fujitsu to make standard parts not fit.
There is totally enough space... They just decided to make a metal part 2mm higher and add 4 plastic posts that make it impossible to fit cheap drives.

2023-11-11 20.55.59.jpg
Filename
2023-11-11 20.55.59.jpg
File size
1.96 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
2023-11-11 20.55.16.jpg
Filename
2023-11-11 20.55.16.jpg
File size
1.42 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

It is designed to take regular drives... and they decided... NO... Make that not work.

Really consumer friendly.

OF COURSE a fitting one is 10 times more expensive than a generic one...

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 875 of 1036, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-11-11, 20:24:

Did you think their stuff was expensive because it was that good?

I got the systems because the harddrives failed. They are not old but out of warranty.

I am really disappointed where Fujitsu went.
I have a selection of PCs from : Siemens Nixdorf > Fujitsu Siemens > Fujitsu .
Each generation is ... just less of everything. Less parts, less options, less quality...

Now there are not many options to choose from for large scale Office use after Fujitsu has bought nearly all major Brands that were around here.

I get old office pcs from one place, each time they replace them (normally 5 years). I try to keep 2 systems of each generation completely stock and maxed out.
But i will not pay 30 bucks for a old used very specific dvd drive... I will mod the case.

Take that Fujitsu. 😏

Shame on me... It is a "ultra slim drive" instead of a "slim drive" ... it seems that it is a newer standard... i was just too incompetent to know that 3mm less height is a new standard...

Last edited by DerBaum on 2023-11-11, 22:09. Edited 2 times in total.

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 876 of 1036, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fujitsu have been on the track of doing that for years now.

I had a TX12o... It was decent, there was nothing wrong with it in its own right, but I got it with only 1 drive intending to expand as time went by.
I found at the time I bought it the drive trays were almost impossible to find and the drive/tray combos on sale were needlessly expensive. Like much more expensive that even an expensive drive was at the time, especially considering the size of the drives on offer.

I ended up getting rid of it on ebay. It sold for a lot more than I thought it was worth and I was glad to be shot of it.

I wouldnt recommend anybody to Fujitsu computers, even if it was free.
Even if it was free I wouldnt take another, because I will end up spending money on it and it will be trapped in that computer.

Reply 877 of 1036, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DerBaum wrote on 2023-11-11, 20:03:
Did you know... fujitsu-esprimo-p557-mt---Kopie-2-.jpg […]
Show full quote

Did you know...

If you want to fit a slim line cd drive to a Fujitsu office pc you have to buy a specific one?
So nice of Fujitsu to make standard parts not fit.
There is totally enough space... They just decided to make a metal part 2mm higher and add 4 plastic posts that make it impossible to fit cheap drives.
2023-11-11 20.55.59.jpg2023-11-11 20.55.16.jpg
It is designed to take regular drives... and they decided... NO... Make that not work.

Really consumer friendly.

OF COURSE a fitting one is 10 times more expensive than a generic one...

Same situation with notebook optical drives, there is 2 heights. Get the thinner one, it will fit. The mounting screw holes of these optical drives are standard. Next, there are two types, one is ATA and other one is SATA with mini 5V connector.

Reply 878 of 1036, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-11-12, 20:05:

Same situation with notebook optical drives, there is 2 heights. Get the thinner one, it will fit. The mounting screw holes of these optical drives are standard. Next, there are two types, one is ATA and other one is SATA with mini 5V connector.

Most sellers dont mention if a drive is slim or ultraslim.
I found a way to find out if its either one by looking at the screw holes at the back.
On a regular slim drive all 4 screw holes are the same heith and roughly centered with the sata connector.
on a ultraslim drive 1 screw hole is in the same location as on a slim drive and 3 are lower, in line with roughly the bottom of the sata connector.

I made this picture to show the difference:

super slim drive.jpg
Filename
super slim drive.jpg
File size
71.93 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 879 of 1036, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just bought a pair of Nvidial Tesla P4 accelerators to go in my Dell T430 virtualization box.

They are roughly equivalent to GTX 1080, but lower power (50-75w) and no video out.

Plan on using them in my HPC-cluster-in-a-box setup, specifically to test out OpenOndemand - i.e. for bookable GPU desktops on our HPC facility, which is normally only batch mode compute.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net