VOGONS

WinXP vs Win2k....Hmmm..

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Clinton

User metadata

Hello to all who read this..

I am in Johannesburg, South Africa and I absolutely love this VDMSound application. It has helped me much.

I am wondering about one thing though....Are their differences in the way it handles games in WinXP and Win2k?

When I had WinXP the games would run very jerky and would basically render it unplayable. Upon re-loading Win2k all the problems disappeared...Strange? I think so.

I dig WinXP and would load it again tomorrow if it would just work.

I have a Athlon XP based system (1800+), Gigabyte GA-7DXE mainboard, Ge-force2 Ti 64mb DDR, with 256 megs of TwinMos DDR RAM.

Any Idea's?

Appreciate the look in.
Cheers
Clint.

Reply 1 of 76, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The reason can lie in (1) different sound drivers resulting in different perfomance (more or less overhead depending on Windows version & corresponding drivers), and (2) potential bugs introduced in XP's NTVDM.EXE. The VDMSound code is identical, though "Update 1" makes some extra XP-specific calls for games like Doom and Duke3D (that otherwise wouldn't work under XP).

V.

Clinton wrote:
Hello to all who read this.. […]
Show full quote

Hello to all who read this..

I am in Johannesburg, South Africa and I absolutely love this VDMSound application. It has helped me much.

I am wondering about one thing though....Are their differences in the way it handles games in WinXP and Win2k?

When I had WinXP the games would run very jerky and would basically render it unplayable. Upon re-loading Win2k all the problems disappeared...Strange? I think so.

I dig WinXP and would load it again tomorrow if it would just work.

I have a Athlon XP based system (1800+), Gigabyte GA-7DXE mainboard, Ge-force2 Ti 64mb DDR, with 256 megs of TwinMos DDR RAM.

Any Idea's?

Appreciate the look in.
Cheers
Clint.

Reply 4 of 76, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Snover wrote:

An unrelated idea...the WinXP NTVDM has support for CLI interrupts in those evil nasty BUILD and iD engine games...would it be possible to transplant the XP NTVDM with the W2K NTVDM?

VDMSound doesn't call into NTVDM for the CLI crap, it calls straight into the kernel (via NTDLL.DLL IIRC). NTVDM is not involved at all really, so even if transplanting it were possible (which it isn't), you'd be very disappointed. 😁 .

V.

Reply 10 of 76, by Clinton

User metadata

Hey all.

So am I basically screwed with WinXP?

All VDMS updates are in place and armed, ready for action.
I have tried various versions of my sound driver.
Have tried all kinds of combinations in VDMS launchpad.

Come on dudes, lets put some of those fine programming skills to good use.

Is there no way we can fix it?

I understand its free, and appreciate the support.

Later
Clint

Reply 12 of 76, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Clinton wrote:

So am I basically screwed with WinXP?
Come on dudes, lets put some of those fine programming skills to good use.
Is there no way we can fix it?

Clint, part of the problem is your original description

When I had WinXP the games would run very jerky and would basically render it unplayable. Upon re-loading Win2k all the problems disappeared...Strange? I think so

...doesn't tell me a whole lot.

When you say "the games", we really need titles. Not all DOS games are alike.

Secondly, when you say they "would run very jerky and would basically render it unplayable", you mean what ? Framerate? A little more description. Give an example.

When you say reloading "Win2K made the problems disappear". Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. XP places a heavier burden on the processor, but having an 1800+ Athlon makes that highly unlikely. They are both NT-based OS's so there shouldn't be a dramatic difference.

The only thing I can think of (at the moment) would be to double-check your various drivers for XP. I once had this horrible HardDrive problem where it would constantly make my hard drive spin up and spin down whenever I retrieved data from it (a data drive, not my boot drive). Finally found the problem was caused by Microsoft's updated UDMA driver for my Maxtor UDMA card (allows UDMA 100 for my hard drives because my motherboard could not). Their driver almost killed my hard drive, replacing it with the (updated) Maxtor driver restored normal performance.

Reply 13 of 76, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:
No, I don't. You know that. Just playing on some paranoia stories... *cough* showthread.php?threadid=96 […]
Show full quote

No, I don't. You know that. Just playing on some paranoia stories...
*cough*
showthread.php?threadid=96

*cough* *cough*
showthread.php?threadid=111

Shut up. That was not my fault. Complete fluke. No. Really. Why are you laughing? ...

Anyway, yes, Clint, your description was pretty poor. Might I suggest you read the posting guidelines?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 14 of 76, by Clinton

User metadata

Sure man, I was not aware..

The games are in no specific order Space Quest 5, DOTT with speech,Fate of Atlantis with speech ,Kings Quest 5.
Actually its basically any dos game I wanna play.

I have noticed something and I hope you don't kill me, but If I run the program without VDMS it does the same damn thing!! It runs jerky, with very slow sound ( sound is not normal speed, very delayed )

So I am thinking it is not a VDMS problem but a XP problem altogether.

When I said Win2k sorted the problems out, it did just that. No more Jerky games, like when Roger wilco is in the simulator in SQ5, it is smoothly displayed and sound is clear. Not with XP.

Have you guys never had this problem posted before?

Thanks for the help.
Clint.

Reply 16 of 76, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Whoooooooops. Correct link. (I fixed the one above, too. Mwah.) Clinton, mate, you still haven't given us pretty much ANY information that's in that posting guidelines announcement. Until you do, we can't really help. (Even after you do, I'm not sure we can help, but it's always useful when troubleshooting.)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 17 of 76, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When you installed XP, did you go out and update your video and audio drivers? (From the manufacturer, not from Microsoft).

When I initally installed XP, my "SoundBlaster Live" performace was poor (pops and crackles in the audio). Creative's updated driver fixed that. My GeForce3 video card was in a similar situation.

Also, how was the Windows game performance?

There's always the possibility that your hardware just won't work properly with XP (odds are against it, but there's always the odd exception to the rule).

This all strikes me as bizarre as it sounds like something you would encounter moving to XP from Win9x, not Win2K.

Reply 18 of 76, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could also try these drivers: http://www.kxproject.spb.ru/index.php?skip=1

MUCH better than Creative's but READ the documentation. They are still missing a few features.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 19 of 76, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

a FEW?

Add EAX 1.0 / 2.0 / 3.0 support
Add Full DirectSound 3D support
Add AC3 Passthrough
Add NRPN support
Add Vienna / Alive SoundFont Editor support
Add 24Bit ASIO Playback support (for both 10k1 and 10k2)

IMO, the not having EAX support is a dealbreaker for me.

Yes, it’s my fault.