VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Eric Weir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am using DOSbox to run a DOS-based outlining program that I've been using for over 20 years. I'm wondering if it is possible to switch the character and screen colors -- from white on black to black on white.

Also, the application is not recognizing characters entered from the numeric keypad or with caps-lock on. Is there anything I can do about this?

My hardware is a P4 1.6 Ghz with 512 MB of RAM.

Thanks in advance.

Eric Weir
Xubuntu 8.04

Reply 1 of 26, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the colours are switchable if you really want it. (either a tsr or changing the sourcecode. I currently have purple on black in one of my builds)

the key stuff would need investigating. which version are you using of dosbox ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 26, by Eric Weir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

the colours are switchable if you really want it.

I really want it. When I run this app in Kubuntu/KDE the white text on black background is a bit fuzzy, and since the window's small, kinda hard on the eyes. Under Ubuntu/GNOME it's more readable, but I use Kubuntu almost exclusively.

(either a tsr or changing the sourcecode. I currently have purple on black in one of my builds)

I don't know anything about messing with code. I'm not afraid to try anything with clear instructions or help, but I don't understand very much about these systems work and I don't do any programming.

the key stuff would need investigating. which version are you using of dosbox ?

Thanks for responding.

Eric Weir
Xubuntu 8.04

Reply 3 of 26, by Eric Weir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Eric Weir wrote:

When I run this app in Kubuntu/KDE the white text on black background is a bit fuzzy, and since the window's small, kinda hard on the eyes.

One other thing I forgot to ask about in my original post: Is it possible to change the size of the DOSbox window?

Eric Weir
Xubuntu 8.04

Reply 4 of 26, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

This works for me:

[sdl]
windowresolution=1200x900
output=opengl

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 26, by Eric Weir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MiniMax wrote:
This works for me: […]
Show full quote

This works for me:

[sdl]
windowresolution=1200x900
output=opengl

Thanks. This raises another question. I've been unable to find the dosbox.conf file. There's a dosbox.conf.example.gz in /usr/share/docs/dosbox which I've unzipped to a temporary folder.

Maybe I don't have a configuration file? If so, were do I put one to get it working for me?

Thanks,

Eric Weir
Xubuntu 8.04

Reply 8 of 26, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/oldwiki/index.p … age=dosbox.conf

Reply 9 of 26, by Eric Weir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MiniMax wrote:

I take it this was intended for me. It offered to download a "php" file which shows up empty in my editors.

However, when I checked your "60 second guide" I found instructions for creating and editing a "dosbox.conf" file in Mac OS X. Earlier I had tried an earlier posters suggestion -- "config -writeconf something.to.use," substituting "dosbox.conf" for "something.to.use" -- but I have no idea where the file was written. The readme says, "the current drive, not the drive mounted in DOSbox," but to this ignoramous that's not very clear.

Adapting the instructions for OS X, will this work? "config -writeconf /usr/lib/dosbox/dosbox.conf"? There is no "dosbox" folder in "/usr/lib" at this point.

I wasn't born knowing how to do this stuff, so I appreciate your patience with me.

Sincerely,

Eric Weir
Xubuntu 8.04

Reply 10 of 26, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've checked, me wouldn't write a config file even to

config -writeconf ~/dosbox.conf

I think, you've to enter the full path to the file, like

config -writeconf "Volumes/Macintosh HD/.../dosbox.conf"

That worked for me.
Btw: Folder structure must exist or the file will not be written...

Klimawandel.

Reply 11 of 26, by Eric Weir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
IIGS_User wrote:

I think, you've to enter the full path to the file, like

config -writeconf "Volumes/Macintosh HD/.../dosbox.conf"

Btw: Folder structure must exist or the file will not be written...

Thanks. That was my assumption. I'm wondering, though, if the folder wasn't created during installation, if BOSbox will know to look there for the configuration file.

Eric Weir
Xubuntu 8.04

Reply 12 of 26, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On unixoid systems, the default dosbox.conf is ~/.dosboxrc

On all systems, dosbox loads settings from dosbox.conf in the current directory.

Reply 13 of 26, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Eric Weir wrote:
MiniMax wrote:

I take it this was intended for me. It offered to download a "php" file which shows up empty in my editors.

Hmmm - that is not supposed to happen. It should show you a page with something like this:

Introduction to dosbox.conf […]
Show full quote

Introduction to dosbox.conf

dosbox.conf is the configuration file for DOSBox. It is created by the config command, one of the Internal Programs in DOSBox.

The config command can be found on the internal ((Z-drive|Z:) drive in DOSBox.

The configuration file is a simple text file, and can be modified using just about any text editor (Windows: Notepad, WordPad, UltraEdit, MacOSX: TextEdit, Linux: vi, emacs). Alternatively, you can use one of the many graphical DOSBox frontends to make your life and the task of configuring DOSBox for your application(s) a bit simpler.
Locating the DOSBox configuration files

Depending on which operating system you have, DOSBox will first look for a personalized configuration file in the following places:

Operating system 	Name
Windows %HOME%\dosbox.conf
Linux ~/.dosboxrc
Mac OSX ~/Library/Preferences/DOSBox Preferences

Afterwards DOSBox will parse all configuration files specified with the -conf option used when launching DOSBox.

If no configuration file is specified with the -conf switch, DOSBox will look in the current (working) directory for a configuration file named dosbox.conf.

If none of the above is found, DOSBox will try to use a global (shared) configuration file:

Operating system 	Name
Windows %ProgramFiles%\DOSBox-n.nn\dosbox.conf
(or whereever you installed DOSBox)
Linux Not applicable
Mac OSX Somewhere inside the application package??
Eric Weir wrote:

-- but I have no idea where the file was written.

Here is a hack to figure that out... In DOSBox do a

mount X .
dir X: /w

That will mount "dot" (the current folder) as drive X in DOSBox. Next the "dir" command is used to show the contents of X = current folder. Hopefully the file names there will provide enough of a clue for you to figure out what DOSBox believes is its current folder.

Reply 14 of 26, by Eric Weir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MiniMax wrote:

Hmmm - that is not supposed to happen.

It happened with several of the links I checked out -- I think it was on the old wiki.

Depending on which operating system you have, DOSBox will first look for a personalized configuration file in the following plac […]
Show full quote

Depending on which operating system you have, DOSBox will first look for a personalized configuration file in the following places:

Operating system 	Name
Windows %HOME%\dosbox.conf
Linux ~/.dosboxrc
Mac OSX ~/Library/Preferences/DOSBox Preferences

"~/" is short for my home folder? If so, I don't have a ".dosboxrc" folder there.

mount X .

I tried it. The list looked like it was in five columns, [.], [..], [kde], [qt], and [w3m]. There's a copy of the "dosbox.conf" file in the second column [[..]] -- or maybe they aren't columns. Could be just a single list, but looks like columns to me.

In any case, I still don't know what folder it's in.

I sincerely appreciate your trying to help,

Eric Weir
Xubuntu 8.04

Reply 15 of 26, by Eric Weir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Eric Weir wrote:

mount X .

I tried it. The list looked like it was in five columns, [.], [..], [kde], [qt], and [w3m]. There's a copy of the "dosbox.conf" file in the second column [[..]] -- or maybe they aren't columns. Could be just a single list, but looks like columns to me.

In any case, I still don't know what folder it's in.

I do now. It's a list, not five columns. The folder's my home folder. And there's a copy of "dosbox.conf" in it.

Is that where it should be? Shouldn't I have a ".dosbox" folder?

Maybe we're making some progress here.

Thanks again,

Eric Weir
Xubuntu 8.04

Reply 16 of 26, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

If you did as IIGS_User suggested earlier (config -writeconf ~/dosbox.conf), then the dosbox.conf file you see is the one you created. If you rename it to .doxboxrc you should be set.

Reply 17 of 26, by Eric Weir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MiniMax wrote:

If you did as IIGS_User suggested earlier (config -writeconf ~/dosbox.conf), then the dosbox.conf file you see is the one you created. If you rename it to .doxboxrc you should be set.

Actually what I did was "config -writeconf dosbox.conf." When I tried what you suggested, I got a "Can't open file ~/dosbox.conf." When I redid what I did before, it went through fine.

I checked the date and time of the dosbox.conf, and it was the one I just created. I went ahead and renamed it, then restarted DOSbox.

Apparently it wasn't able to access the renamed configuration file. The autoexec lines I put in the file were not executed.

Still puzzled.

Thanks,

Eric Weir
Xubuntu 8.04

Reply 18 of 26, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Ups - I see I wrote .doxboxrc. It should of course be .dosboxrc

But maybe the problem is that Mac OSX (which you use?) is not as "unixoid" as Moe put it, and that it looks in the file "DOSBox Preferences" in ~/Library/Preferences instead.

My best advice would be for you to delete all the "DOSBox Preferences" files that you can find, all the .dosboxrc files (note: Files starting with a . is often hidden on "unixoid" systems), and all the dosbox.conf files.

Next you create a single text file using TextEdit. Call it something like MyConf.txt and let it have just the following 2 lines:

[cpu]
cycles=1234

Check that you have a folder called "Library" in your home directory. And inside that a folder called "Preferences".

Copy your MyConf.txt file into the Preferences folder, and rename it to "DOSBox Preferences".

Start DOSBox and look at the window title. Does it say "DOSBox 0.72, Cpu Cycles: 3000, Frameskip ..." ?

Or does it say "Cycles: 1234" ?

Reply 19 of 26, by Eric Weir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MiniMax wrote:

But maybe the problem is that Mac OSX (which you use?) is not as "unixoid" as Moe put it, and that it looks in the file "DOSBox Preferences" in ~/Library/Preferences instead.

Actually, I'm Linux/Kubuntu. You may have gottern the impression otherwise from the fact that in an earlier post I was trying to adapt your instructions for setting up the DOSbox configuration file on OS X to Linux/Kubuntu.

My best advice would be for you to delete all the "DOSBox Preferences" files that you can find, all the .dosboxrc files (note: Files starting with a . is often hidden on "unixoid" systems), and all the dosbox.conf files.

The only DOSbox-related files or folders I've been able to find on my system is the binary in /user/bin and the dosbox.conf I created in ~/.

So I'm not sure how to proceed in following the rest of your instructions. Should I have a DOSbox folder in ~/ ? Can I just create one? Will DOSbox know to look for the confiiguration file there?

Again, your patience with me is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Eric Weir
Xubuntu 8.04