VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by goredaimon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys!

I have an arcade cabinet with 2 joysticks under Linux graphical framebuffer console to play games with SDLMAME emulator.

I was thinking about playing some oldies with DOSBOX (OMF2097 is my favorite), but I don't know if DOSBOX support graphical framebuffer under linux console too, and if DOSBOX can find my 2 joysticks (input devices) too. Both of them are digital gamepads with 8 buttons.

Well, I don't know if OMF2097 runs with 2 joysticks too!

Thanks in advice!

Reply 1 of 15, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Wouldn't it be easiest just to try and see if it works or not? I will even thrown in a free license for DOSBox if you try.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 15, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SDL supports fb output if it was configured to do so. See the SDL docs. No one so far tried dosbox on any SDL_VIDEO_DRIVER than x11, so let us know if it worked.

Reply 3 of 15, by goredaimon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How about this:

http://bp2.blogger.com/_2CvALWrYfTI/R6hp4i_Gb … -h/dsc00258.jpg

Everything works except for the console framebuffer. DOSBOX starts ok, but the keyboard fail and the system completely hang even running with vesa framebuffer! So, this screenshot has been taken under X11 with xorg-fbdev driver under vesa framebuffer.

How to correct this problem with console framebuffers?

Thanks!

Reply 4 of 15, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

you claim sdlmame works with framebuffer.
Do you then use sdl or do you some additional parameter when starting mame?
DOSBox totally relies on sdl for keyboard input.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 15, by goredaimon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

you claim sdlmame works with framebuffer.
Do you then use sdl or do you some additional parameter when starting mame?
DOSBox totally relies on sdl for keyboard input.

Hello!

SDLMAME works fine without any special configuration. Remember that SDLMAME is fully SDL instead of Directx or other API.

But when running under X11 / KDE, dosbox works fine. Did you see the screenshot?

I think DOSBOX can be updated to be fully SDL too!

Bye

Reply 8 of 15, by goredaimon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

I think DOSBOX can be updated to be fully SDL too!

Which part of dosbox is not "fully SDL"? Feel free to submit a patch!

Hello!

Sorry, but I didn't want to be offensive. I just didn't understand about the SDL problem.

I know that SDL library can be compiled to use the framebuffer device when a software videomode is selected. It's possible to use X11 too. Mine is compiled with this option (mandrivalinux 2008 libsdl package).

Thanks again!

Reply 10 of 15, by goredaimon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

Is the keyboard the only problem? Then see above. If not please describe
in more details what doesn't work.

Hello WD,

The keyboard really fails. When I digit some words, I got numbers too. Enter key doesn't work and after some seconds the system hangs up.

One interesting thing is that the autoexec parameters I put onto dosbox.conf didn't work too!

That's it!

Ps: The SDL library works with linux framebuffer by using the libdirectfb. I remember that yesterday.

Reply 13 of 15, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And give the fbcon SDL video driver a try as well. DirectFB is a wrapper library around the fb device, and for me it doesn't work smoothly on some machines.

Reply 14 of 15, by goredaimon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
`Moe` wrote:

And give the fbcon SDL video driver a try as well. DirectFB is a wrapper library around the fb device, and for me it doesn't work smoothly on some machines.

Hum, my SDLMAME reports that is running with fbcon instead of directfb!

I'll try sdlmame with directfb driver too!

Bye