VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 26, by Eric Weir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I missed your post earlier. Picked up on it from MiniMax's reference to it. My apologies.

`Moe` wrote:

On unixoid systems, the default dosbox.conf is ~/.dosboxrc

Do you mean that by default dosbox.conf is IN ~/.dosboxrc? I don't have ~/.dosboxrc on my system. Should I create it?

On all systems, dosbox loads settings from dosbox.conf in the current directory.

What is the current directory when I run DOSbox? Judging from where dosbox.conf is saved when I create it, on my installation it is ~/ ? Is that what it should be?

Thanks,

Eric Weir
Xubuntu 8.04

Reply 22 of 26, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

OBS: .XXXXXXrc files are a common way for Unixoid programs store their preferences/configurations. "rc" is short for "run-commands" (or maybe "runtime-configuration" ?) Anyway, XXXXXXrc files are for program XXXXXX's configuration. And the dot-prefix is another common Unixoid standard, since the ls command used to list files will normal not display dot-files. So a .XXXXXXrc residing in your home directory is the configuration file for program XXXXXX hidden out of your normal sight.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 23 of 26, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Eric: The current working directory of DOSBox depends on how it was started. If it was via an icon on your desktop, it's properties should allow you to set that. In any case, there is no "right" or "wrong" working directory, it should simply be where you want it to be.

MiniMax: The rc postfix traditionally stands for "resource", Unix-speak for anything remotely smelling of configuration 😀

Reply 24 of 26, by Eric Weir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
`Moe` wrote:

Eric: The current working directory of DOSBox depends on how it was started. If it was via an icon on your desktop, it's properties should allow you to set that. In any case, there is no "right" or "wrong" working directory, it should simply be where you want it to be.

Thanks, Moe. I'm taking it that "start" means "start," not "installed." My installation starts from the menu, and when I do "config -writeconf" the config file goes to ~/ . If I create ~/.dosbox and write the config file to it, will DOSbox know to look there for the config file when it is started?

Thanks,

Eric Weir
Xubuntu 8.04

Reply 25 of 26, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Moe: I beg to differ.

http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/R/rc-file.html
http://kb.iu.edu/data/abnd.html

But - where can we find an authoritative source that we both will accept? I like this quote:

From Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie, as told to Vicki Brown:

"There was a facility that would execute a bunch of commands stored in a file; it was called runcom for "run commands", and the file began to be called "a runcom". rc in Unix is a fossil from that usage."

Eric: You should not create any ~/.dosbox directory. It is a file (". d o s b o x r c") that you need to create.

And if you use the command ls -a it will show ALL files regardless of their dot-ness or not.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 26 of 26, by Eric Weir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MiniMax wrote:
Next you create a single text file using TextEdit. Call it something like MyConf.txt and let it have just the following 2 lines: […]
Show full quote

Next you create a single text file using TextEdit. Call it something like MyConf.txt and let it have just the following 2 lines:

[cpu]
cycles=1234

Start DOSBox and look at the window title. Does it say "DOSBox 0.72, Cpu Cycles: 3000, Frameskip ..." ? Or does it say "Cycles: 1234" ?

I finally gotting around to trying this, modifying what you suggested to make it appropriate for Linux, i.e., I created a file with the lines you suggested and saved it as "dosbox.conf" in ~/home/eric. When I ran DOSbox, the window title said "Cycles: 1234."

Now that I know where the dosbox.conf file is, I have one more request for this thread: When DOSbox, loads and while it's running, I get a throbbing humming sound from my speakers. I can tune it out, but I'd like to trun it off altogether.

I tried modifying or commenting out all the lines in all the sections of dosbox.conf that seemed to have anything to do with sound to no effect.

Any suggestions?

Eric Weir
Xubuntu 8.04