VOGONS

First post, by breadbin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been playing Menzoberranzan with DosBox for the last few days and loving it but I want to hear the MT-32 midi music instead of the music I have. I have my conf file set up to use Munt and I use Munt in all my other games that support MT-32, I kinda know what I'm doing, but for some reason I can't get Menzoberranzan to work. It plays music, just not the beautiful MT-32.

I can listen to the midi files in all their glory via the Munt midi file player, they sound absolutely spectacular and it would be so good to play the game with these sounds. This game uses the same engine as the Ravenloft games of that era if that helps. I think the games support MT-32. There is an "A32MT32.DLL" file in the folder at least. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reply 1 of 3, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you run the game's sound setup program and configure it to use Roland SC for music?

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 2 of 3, by breadbin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, like I said, I use MT-32 emulation through Munt in many other games. I know how to do that part.

Reply 3 of 3, by breadbin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It looks like it might support MT-32 at all now after looking at the VOGONS wiki. It turned up this.

Games that falsely claim MT-32 compatibility The following games claim to be MT-32 compatible but in fact are not. The most com […]
Show full quote

Games that falsely claim MT-32 compatibility

The following games claim to be MT-32 compatible but in fact are not. The most common case is that they allow MT-32 or compatible devices to be chosen as configuration options, but they play General MIDI music instead:

Menzoberranzan (demo only): sends GM data, plays on channels other than 2-10 with inappropriate instruments and missing notes, uses GS features (reverb), CTF issues on later Sound Canvas models

There's nothing I can do short of reverse engineer the code and fix it, right?