VOGONS

2 vDos32 issues

Topic actions

First post, by Humomoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all, if I opened a topic in the wrong place, I apologize, now I will write my problems.

I am using the latest version of everything and I am using vmware, my operating system is winxp 32 bit. My game is tes redguard and I am using vdos32 with glidos because it is the most stable for this game.

1- The game sometimes runs at very high speeds, I think I need to lock the fps to 30 or 60, I locked the fps on my main pc outside of vmware and it fix the instant high speeds a little bit but it is still there, albeit slightly. I think I need to lock the fps of vdos32 from somewhere, but I don't know how to do this.

2- The background music of the game is not working, is there anything I can do for this?

Reply 1 of 14, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Problem 1: Is this high speed running just for a little while and then it goes back to normal? I think I've seen that. If so, I've never found a solution.

Problem 2: Is it just the music, or all sound. You may need to run the setup program that comes with the game, so that it can select the sound blaster emulated by VDos32. If just the music, perhaps it's on the CD and you'll need to make a CD image available to Glidos.

Reply 2 of 14, by Humomoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Glidos wrote on 2024-07-04, 14:14:

Problem 1: Is this high speed running just for a little while and then it goes back to normal? I think I've seen that. If so, I've never found a solution.

Problem 2: Is it just the music, or all sound. You may need to run the setup program that comes with the game, so that it can select the sound blaster emulated by VDos32. If just the music, perhaps it's on the CD and you'll need to make a CD image available to Glidos.

First of all, thank you for your quick response.

1. Yes, just as you said, it speeds up at first and then returns to normal, I read that I could limit the fps with software on the 3dfxarchive website, but unfortunately I tried most of them and most of them did not even open. If you do not know the solution, it is not a problem.

2. Yes, I can hear everything else without any problems, just there is no music. I did a music test with dxdiag as in the pictures and I can hear it, I did a sound blaster in the settings as you said, but I still cannot hear the in-game music. The 2.CD is inserted and I apply the location of the CD via glidos. If I made a wrong setting, please tell me so I can fix it immediately.

https://imgur.com/a/6JmZSko (i couldnt upload my images to directly here because of "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again." )

Reply 3 of 14, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm sorry. I can't at the moment think of anything... uh, one thing I didn't say clearly: you should run the setup program from within VDos32; that way, you are sure to get exactly the Sound Blaster settings required for running under VDos32.

Reply 4 of 14, by Humomoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Glidos wrote on 2024-07-05, 08:59:

I'm sorry. I can't at the moment think of anything... uh, one thing I didn't say clearly: you should run the setup program from within VDos32; that way, you are sure to get exactly the Sound Blaster settings required for running under VDos32.

I understand what you mean now and I did what you said, I run every executable file in sound file because I wasn't sure which one to open with vdos32 and when i run it I got these errors. I also tried to run with two different ways to show the location of the 1.cd and the location of the 2.cd in glidos.

GSetSound.exe - Not an LE format file.
setsound.pif - Failed to read int16
setsound.exe - Failed to read int16
mssw95.exe - Failed to read int16
digplay.exe - seek failed
digplay.pif - Failed to read int16

I don't know how else to open the sound installation file with vdos32. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Reply 5 of 14, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, that's what I meant, but it looks like my advice was wrong. I haven't touched VDos32 for many years now, and I have no 32bit installation to test on. setsound.exe is the one that I'd hope would work.

Another possibility is to run setsound.exe and then the game using DosBox - get it working nicely (albeit slow in places) - and then swap back to VDos32.

Reply 6 of 14, by Humomoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Glidos wrote on 2024-07-05, 18:42:

Yes, that's what I meant, but it looks like my advice was wrong. I haven't touched VDos32 for many years now, and I have no 32bit installation to test on. setsound.exe is the one that I'd hope would work.

Another possibility is to run setsound.exe and then the game using DosBox - get it working nicely (albeit slow in places) - and then swap back to VDos32.

The music of the game already works smoothly via Dosbox, but the music does not work at all in any DOS modes in Glidos.

So the situation is like this (With soundblaster set): Glidos Any Dos Modes= Smooth Fps, Working Sounds, No music. Dosbox = Low Fps(some areas more low fps), Working Sounds, Working Musics.

Reply 7 of 14, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Annoying! Is there some way you can send a sample of the music? I'm wondering now if I ever made the music work.

It's strange that it should work under Dosbox, but not Glidos in Dosbox mode, although Glidos uses an altered version of Dosbox that's now very old.

Reply 8 of 14, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remembered that Redguard was the one Glidos-supported game that uses the Miles sound system. There was special work in VDos32 to support that. I've just looked at the source, and the code for MIDI is just a stub. If Redguard uses MIDI for music then VDos32 has never supported it. Another way some games provide music or any background track is CD tracks, but my memory is of there only being cut scenes on the CD.

Reply 9 of 14, by Humomoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Glidos wrote on 2024-07-08, 15:47:

I remembered that Redguard was the one Glidos-supported game that uses the Miles sound system. There was special work in VDos32 to support that. I've just looked at the source, and the code for MIDI is just a stub. If Redguard uses MIDI for music then VDos32 has never supported it. Another way some games provide music or any background track is CD tracks, but my memory is of there only being cut scenes on the CD.

hmm, sorry to hear that, all I know about redguard have the redbook sound system (i will share cd 2 image with you). I'm pretty ignorant about these things. Anyway, thanks for thinking about this and spending your time. I think I'll just load the music into the program via soundpad and press the keys myself to play the appropriate music for the atmosphere.

Reply 10 of 14, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah, redbook should work if we can just configure Glidos correctly to see the CD image.

Reply 11 of 14, by Humomoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Glidos wrote on 2024-07-09, 11:56:

Ah, redbook should work if we can just configure Glidos correctly to see the CD image.

Hmm, I saw that in the folder for the soundtracks of the Tomb Raider gog version game, it showed a file called game.gog as an iso in Glidos, so I did that for Redugard and it still didn't work. There is nothing else I can try. As far as I can see from this forum, some guys were not able to make the music work like me in 2014 and around 2010, it is very interesting that it still does not work after all these years.

Reply 12 of 14, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure when I'll find the time to try, but I may be able to fix this. I have the two discs here somewhere. I may be able to make an image that works.

Reply 13 of 14, by Humomoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Glidos wrote on 2024-07-10, 10:17:

Not sure when I'll find the time to try, but I may be able to fix this. I have the two discs here somewhere. I may be able to make an image that works.

REMOVED Here is someone who shared the 2 discs. If you have problems with your discs, you can get it from here.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2024-07-12, 00:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 14, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks