VOGONS

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

maybe it's time to invest in a radeon instead then, it's not like they don't exist because they're not the hypy fastest.

My old notebook has Radeon 7000 IGP, and it doesn't do FSAA with European Air War; strangely, it does FSAA with newer games like Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Gotta' admit I don't have too many experiences with Radeons though (most of my vidcards are GeForces (and Voodoos)), but I wonder why my Radeon cannot do FSAA with old games.

I also read that Radeons do not do SSAA --it only does MSAA. Is it supposed to hamper its capabilities to do AA on old games? But from what I read, MSAA doesn't do well with transparent textures (fences and the likes) --nowhere does it say about old games. And no, EAW doesn't have fences.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

EAW was written for like DX5 wasn't it? Going to have to look. Did your Geforce provide AA in the game?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 7, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

EAW was written for like DX5 wasn't it? Going to have to look. Did your Geforce provide AA in the game?

Yup. It was GeForce 3 by the way, but the card is dead now. It was long time ago when I used the card to play EAW. When I wanted to play it again on my notebook, there was no FSAA at all --and it was really discernable since I tried it on 640x480.

Thanks, by the way. If Radeon 9700 has no problem of running DX5 games, then it's a very interesting choice for a Win98 legacy system.

and who is your avatar now?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 3 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like people even had these issues back in 2003.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/archive/index.php … t-33675876.html

I almost never use AA since I always run things in high-res so I never experienced these issues myself.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 7, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

Looks like people even had these issues back in 2003.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/archive/index.php … t-33675876.html

I almost never use AA since I always run things in high-res so I never experienced these issues myself.

Aw.... 🙁

That's too bad since Radeons have better image quality --or at least so I always heard, thus, barring FSAA problem, Radeons should be interesting pick for old Direct3D games legacy system.

Barring transparent texture problems with MSAA, why there should be any (backward compatibility) problem with FSAA? I thought FSAA is merely about rendering the image in higher resolution, sample it, and render it back to the original resolution with smoothed edges as the result of sampling.

Reply 5 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't forget Voodoo5 FSAA. It's AA is probably better than AA on Radeon 9200 on down and GeForce 2 (and 4MX) on down.

But if you have a Radeon 9700/9600/9500/newer, the 6X MSAA in addition to "adaptive AA" (for alpha texturing) they can do will be mighty fine in old 3D games. ATI did one giant leap over NV's head with AA and filtering quality until GF8, IMO.

Reply 6 of 7, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

But if you have a Radeon 9700/9600/9500/newer, the 6X MSAA in addition to "adaptive AA" (for alpha texturing) they can do will be mighty fine in old 3D games.

Provided it works on the particular game though.... 😢

Reply 7 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

old games weren't really designed for FSAA in mind particularily with 2D elements - for example geforce2 gts fsaa and everquest = raiders of the lost ark to your screen.

apsosig.png
long live PCem