VOGONS


First post, by DW12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Hi! Recently I finally had some time to repair a Creative Voodoo 2 12MB that I've got a couple of months ago. It was really dirty and had 2 knocked off capacitors. Also I had to do a reflow on second TMU with my soldering iron, because mojo was detecting 0 RAM. Now the card is working, however I've noticed some problems with picture quality. It kinda looks like screen is "wobbly" horizontally, like there is some horizontal noise. You can kinda see that in direct capture that I've recorded from Carmageddon 2 (in the background), irl it's more noticable:

https://youtu.be/djP1RxoIFzo?si=2-ipomGUHe9zXuFv

Does anyone also encounter this behaviour? I have the same issue with my A-Trend Voodoo 1 card, however my other Voodoo 1 from Diamond gives almost perfect picture. Is it failing DAC problem? Do I need to also reflow the FBI chip, maybe it has some flaky connections? Or that is just bad luck and these particular cards give poor quality picture?

Reply 1 of 8, by revolstar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

I had a somewhat similar problem but for me, the wobbling occurred diagonally AFAIK, and it was even noticeable when viewing the Windows desktop. Then I swapped the PSU for a beefier, more modern unit and the problem went away.

Win98 rig: Athlon XP 2500+/512MB RAM/Gigabyte GA-7VT600/SB Audigy/GF FX5700/Voodoo2 12MB
WinXP rig: HP RP5800 - Pentium G850/2GB RAM/GF GT530 1GB
Amiga: A600/2MB RAM
PS3: Slim, CFW
PS2: Fat, FMCB
Dreamcast, GDEMU

Reply 2 of 8, by DW12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
revolstar wrote on 2024-12-24, 09:30:

I had a somewhat similar problem but for me, the wobbling occurred diagonally AFAIK, and it was even noticeable when viewing the Windows desktop. Then I swapped the PSU for a beefier, more modern unit and the problem went away.

Thanks for your suggestion. On my testbench I was using an old FSP power supply, today I took out my modern Seasonic 550W and tested the whole setup again. Image quality is much better now! It looks like some cards are more prone to voltage ripple than others.

Reply 3 of 8, by Spark

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Would it be possible to fix this without swapping out the PSU?

Reply 4 of 8, by DW12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

So after further testing, image quality is much better, however noise can still be seen a little, especially with my A-Trend Voodoo 1 card. Can anyone with experience in fixing Voodoo cards write in and explain what components have the most impact on image quality? I assume it can be a DAC part of circuit issue.

Reply 5 of 8, by Postman5

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Sometimes a degraded switch modulates the output signal with noise from the power supply circuits

Reply 6 of 8, by DW12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Ok, I've had some time off of retro hardware and now finally got around to address the issue with this V2 picture quality. Some time ago I've watched a video by Bits Und Bolts about dying ceramic caps on V2s and testing by using pyro electric effect (heating up components and measuring the resistance on the power line basically). I didn't found any problems with caps on my Voodoo, however I've noticed some weird resistance drops when heating up 2 of memory chips. I've ordered replacement chips, replaced the 2 seemingly marginal chips and now the video quality is finally good. So if anyone has similar problems with their V2 that can be the solution.

When it comes to the Voodoo 1, I will try the fix from this post: Image quality fix for Voodoo1 and 2 cards, as it seems like the issue only occurs now on passthrough signal, the 3D image quality is good.

Reply 7 of 8, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DW12 wrote on 2026-09-03, 21:22:

Ok, I've had some time off of retro hardware and now finally got around to address the issue with this V2 picture quality. Some time ago I've watched a video by Bits Und Bolts about dying ceramic caps on V2s and testing by using pyro electric effect (heating up components and measuring the resistance on the power line basically). I didn't found any problems with caps on my Voodoo, however I've noticed some weird resistance drops when heating up 2 of memory chips. I've ordered replacement chips, replaced the 2 seemingly marginal chips and now the video quality is finally good. So if anyone has similar problems with their V2 that can be the solution.

When it comes to the Voodoo 1, I will try the fix from this post: Image quality fix for Voodoo1 and 2 cards, as it seems like the issue only occurs now on passthrough signal, the 3D image quality is good.

Wow, interesting find. I've got a Voodoo 2 with bad 3d output quality and always thought it was down to the Ti RAMDAC. I was out of ideas and would like to check this out - so how do you check the resistance? Just a multimeter between 5v and ground, then watch the resistance measurement while spot heating components?

Reply 8 of 8, by DW12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Yeah, I was measuring resistance between ground and 5V line (specifically I measured it on the voltage regulator near the top VGA connector). Then used a hotair station to heat up component a little and looked at results on the multimeter. In the video the faulty capacitors actually caused the resistance to raise. I accidentally discovered that heating up only the spot with these 2 specific memory chips caused resistance to drop rapidly, other memory chips didn't do that when heated up.

My theory is that something internally in these chips was causing a near short when temperature raised (as the card was rendering a 3D image for example) and the resistance drop on 5V supply line caused the card to malfunction slightly to the point that it affected image quality.