First post, by Feanor_twh
I got one of those Chinese GeForce FX5500 PCI cards, with a 128-bit memory bus and 256MB of memory. It works well, but it doesn't make much of a difference compared to the early Quadro NVS 280 PCI (essentially a 64-bit FX5200). I was hoping the bandwidth difference would lead to a substantial performance boost.
Looking a little deeper, I see that the memory speed is only 133MHz, compared to the NVS 280's 200MHz. The original (non-Chinese) FX5500 also seems to have 200MHz.
What's more important at this point, the memory bus bandwidth or the memory speed?
Would I really get any improvement if I got a "normal" FX5500 with 200MHz memory?
I think the rest of the hardware is not the problem, it is a PIII 750mhz, 256mb of SDRAM, nor the drivers either, Forceware 45.23
DOS - Amstrad PC1512 NEC V30 640kb 128mb CF XTIDE
Win3.1 - IBM PS/ValuePoint 486DX2 8mb Tseng ET4000 2gb CF
Win98 - AT 386 case K6-III 400 128mb Voodoo3 2000 20gb SSD
WinME - Intel Dot Station (Paquito) PIII 750 256mb FX5200 128gb SSD
Wrong setup? Lmk plz