VOGONS

Bad graphic in Lemmings

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Sicki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all

Dosbox is very Cool, but the graphics in "Lemmings" and "Oh no more Lemmings are realy bad

Look at the screen

I have extremely problems to see which lemming i can upgrade how oft (karts left of the radar)

Befor I can play the game i have to choose between VGA and EGA but bouth realy sucks

I testet in with dosbox 0.,71 and 0.72 but bouth looks same

can someone help me ?

Attachments

• lemmprob3.JPG
    Filename
    lemmprob3.JPG
    File size
    78.83 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • lemmprob2.JPG
    Filename
    lemmprob2.JPG
    File size
    119.99 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 3 of 29, by Sicki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Lemonzest wrote:

To fix the briefing screen you can use the aep cvs build and set machine to vgaonly.

yeah ok ....

how do i do this 🙄

That EGA screen is normal. Pick VGA and IBM Compatible PCs, NOT High Performance PCs.

Im not care about the briefing screen .... look @ 3th screen ^^ this looks realy crap 🙁

I tested all 4 options first with vga and after that with ega .. all lookes ugly

compare level 1 havoc with dosbox (1st screen) and google (2nd screen) ! 😢

Attachments

• lemmprob3.JPG
    Filename
    lemmprob3.JPG
    File size
    79.72 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • lemm1.JPG
    Filename
    lemm1.JPG
    File size
    63.44 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • lemm2.JPG
    Filename
    lemm2.JPG
    File size
    80.48 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 7 of 29, by Sicki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i told you that 0.71 and 0.72 looks same -.- who cares

so you want to say that this is the best option i can play with ? Yes in 0,72 and Yes i choose VGA ...

damn and i thought lemming games are supported by dosbox -.- but no they look different to the old dos and yes that#s ugly .. the colors sucks

Reply 9 of 29, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The screenshot you got from Google, lemmprob3.jpg, appears to be from the Amiga version of Lemmings if you compare to shots on Mobygames -- a poor comparison to the DOS version.

I didn't see a mention of you trying different video output methods in DOSBox; not that I think changing it is likely to help, but it couldn't hurt to try.

Reply 12 of 29, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, VGALEMMI was also used for the EGA version. The other 2 executables are CGALEMMI (CGA, obviously) and TGALEMMI (Tandy). This is true for both versions of the game that I have. The original boxed one and the one that came with my Sound Blaster card. If yours is different, you might be the one with the abandonware version 😜

Last edited by Kippesoep on 2008-06-20, 21:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 29, by Servo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

I find it odd that there is EGA video coming from a VGALEMMI binary

Actually this makes sense; both EGA and VGA versions run in mode 0Dh (320x200 16 color), the only difference in the VGA version is it uses a different color palette where the EGA version uses the standard 16 color palette.

Although the VGA version runs in only 16 colors at 320x200 compared to the Amiga version in 64(?) colors at 640x200, the playfield looks almost identical in both; the icons/score below is much more detailed in the Amiga version. For some reason shots above don't look right, here's what I get with latest Mac version of DOSBox which looks the same as on a real PC (except for the corrupted palette on the preview screen in DOSBox, game seems to run fine);

Attachments

• Amiga.png
    Filename
    Amiga.png
    File size
    157.13 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • PC VGA.png
    Filename
    PC VGA.png
    File size
    9.19 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • PC EGA.png
    Filename
    PC EGA.png
    File size
    9.19 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 19 of 29, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wd wrote:

Odd - that never worked for me when I tried the latest CVS.

That never worked at all. In the cvs change the machine= to vgaonly (NOT vga).

That's what I just said I tried 😜 It does not work! I just tried it again with today's CVS and nope, still got the corruption even if I change it to vgaonly.

EDIT: I discovered that I had to make Dosbox create a new dosbox.conf - the old one was not compatible with the new CVS because a lot of values are changed.

It works now, but for some reason, vgaonly is incompatible with a lot of settings - scalers don't work, fulldouble doesn't work, it ignores the resolutions, etc. I hope this gets "fixed" for 0.73 😀