VOGONS

First post, by Danicela

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wanted to install Warcraft II French through DosBox.

Then I did this :

dosbox1co1.th.jpg

And next, I had this screen :

dosbox2nr1.th.jpg

On every machine I tried to do this with DosBox installed on this OS/System, it did the same error.

Maybe I should try other command but I don't know, for all the other programs it worked.
Note that if I launch this "install.exe" through Windows XP, it works, but not on all computers...

Only once, it worked both on XP and Vista on the same computer on DosBox, but not anymore, and I don't know how it worked once on DosBox and it never occured again.

Any idea?

Reply 3 of 36, by Sephiroth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am not sure, but I have used Warcraft II in DOSBox numerous times and never had a problem with the installer. I have the US version though.

I would try using a normal core at around 10000 cycles just to install it and see if that fixes it. Then switch back to a dynamic core with max cycles for playing the game.

486 Launcher v2.0 is now under development!

Reply 6 of 36, by Danicela

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You need to mount a hard drive too - you start set up but set up can't find any hard drive which is probably why it crashed. It can only detect the CD drive.

Yes you found the solution, I don't know why I didn't think about that before because anyways I couldn't install the game if I don't have any hard disk ^^

I think game concepters didn't think that we could have 0 disk.. they should have made a good error message for this case 😄

Note that I tried on the 0.72 version and did the same..
And it couldn't be a problem of cycles because it works on some XP.

Reply 9 of 36, by Danicela

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm.. there are often little freezes, but I gave same number of cycles compared to another computer where there are not these freezes.

Edit : Not on Warcraft I, but on Warcraft II in fullscreen only.
These are freezes in sound but not in graphics.

Reply 10 of 36, by Sephiroth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try max cycles. The only time that I have noted a problem using max cycles was when I played a game that was not framerate independent, such as Arena. I play WC1 and 2 with max cycles just fine.

Reply 12 of 36, by Sephiroth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Odd, seems to be fine on my end. Of course my first experience with WC1/2 was on a P200, and I can't recall the specs for those games off the top of my head.

*EDIT*

Found my box. WC1 runs on a freaking 386 according to this, and only needs 8MB of RAM. I'd setup DOSBox with a normal core at maybe 10000 cycles and 8 or 16MB of RAM, then adjust the cycles up or down 1000 cycles at a time until it feels right to you. I must have been thinking of another DOS game.

Warcraft II requires a pentium, so I'd guess a normal core with 15000 to 20000 cycles should do the trick. If I get around to it, I'll install them in the next day or two and post appropriate configurations.

Reply 14 of 36, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> Warcraft II requires a pentium

I played the demo on a 386-33 xD

In DOSBox Warcraft2 needs like 40000 cycles and works fine with dynamic core (think of maps with more then only a few units on it)

1+1=10

Reply 15 of 36, by Sephiroth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

40000 cycles? That sounds insanely too high. Daggerfall only requires 20k~25k cycles, and Duke Nukem 3D only needs 40k, and WC2 is much less than that. The game states the requirements as 486, Pentium recommended.

Err, wait, I am looking at my WC2 Battle.net edition. The original is a 386/486, my bad. That is about 15k cycles max. My experience places a 486 of average speed (33~50MHz) around 10k cycles, so how are you getting 40k cycles? That's enough to run some hellascious programs! 40k in my experience has been Pentium speeds.

Reply 16 of 36, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You can't tie cycles to CPU types that way. Like Terminal Velocity ran fine on a 486-66 (highres) but needs like 85000 cycles to come close in DOSBox. It depends on the game (i.e. what CPU instructions it uses most).

1+1=10

Reply 17 of 36, by Danicela

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On my computer with 50 000 cycles it works slow when there are many units on the map, it's a Core 2 Duo.

On the buggy computer, I tried cycles=auto but there are style freezes in the sound.

Reply 18 of 36, by Sephiroth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is slowing down most-likely due to choking the real CPU with that many cycles. Remember, DOSBox doesn't support dual-cores or 64bit tech, so you're running a single-threaded 32bit app on that very nice chip you've got. I was also under the impression that cycles=auto was bugged, as most of us seem to have it lock in at 2500 or 3000 and then do nothing. A prime example of that is to try Daggerfall or Arena with it set to auto. It goes to 3000 and plays the intros, then stays at 3k while the games require much more!

Also, use a dynamic core if you need more than about 20000 cycles, or it'll choke quickly.

Reply 19 of 36, by Danicela

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

But according to you the sound problem comes from the Core 2 Duo, but on the first computer I also have a Core 2 Duo and there is no problem, and on the second computer I have Core 2 Duo and there is sound problem, the single difference between the 2 computers is that the sound buggy one is a laptop.