VOGONS


Should I get a cooling fan for a Voodoo 3 2k?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know if it is the most common but for me it just seemed easiest to screw 4 screws between the fins of the heatsink lik this for both of my voodoo 3 cards. The fans are still properly stuck.

The attachment P_20231014_142459.jpg is no longer available

Reply 21 of 24, by eliot_new

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
DesktopDynamite wrote on 2023-05-18, 14:42:

I have recently installed a small cooler/heatsink combo, since mine came with a super small passive heatsink... My aim was to install some type of cooling solution, but at the same time insisted to still have space underneath, if I wish to install other PCI expansion card...

@DesktopDynamite : this is awesome, I want to make it like you as I have a V3 2k AGP.
But tell me please, how do I remove the passive cooler as it looks like it is glued?

DOS:P166MMX,64MB,ECS,SpeaMirageV7,3dfxV1,AWE64,ESS1868,PicoGUS,32GB
W98SE:K6-3/400,256MB,P5A,Verite2200AGP,3dfxV2,M3D,AWE64,ESS1938,PicoGUS,64GB
XP:P3-1G,512MB,CUSL2C,FX5600AGP,Audigy1,80GB

Reply 22 of 24, by RetroBus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Maybe just a good heatsink will be enough, problem with fans is you need headers to plug them in

https://www.youtube.com/@ComputerRetroBus Computer Retro Bus - My Youtube Chanel

Reply 24 of 24, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
eliot_new wrote on 2025-10-02, 19:08:
DesktopDynamite wrote on 2023-05-18, 14:42:

I have recently installed a small cooler/heatsink combo, since mine came with a super small passive heatsink... My aim was to install some type of cooling solution, but at the same time insisted to still have space underneath, if I wish to install other PCI expansion card...

@DesktopDynamite : this is awesome, I want to make it like you as I have a V3 2k AGP.
But tell me please, how do I remove the passive cooler as it looks like it is glued?

You can put it in the freezer for 20-30 minutes to help make the glue brittle. You'll need to put something like a gift card down to protect the chip/pcb, and then gently pry upwards. The brittle glue should pop off with some force. The glue residue can be scrapped off with a razor blade and some IPA.

Your mileage may vary, of course. If you've got a 3D printer capable of printing ABS or ASA you can also check out: https://www.printables.com/model/1391036-fan- … er-40mm-heatsin