VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gamezmaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Trying to run the windows version of Torin's Passage in Windows XP Pro. I can't manually set my display settings to 256 colours, so I tried to use compatability mode to do it. I set compatability mode to win95 and 256 colours. I launch the game and it starts in a wndow, then crashes and I get the following error:

VMD error -51 -> IMD unknown : 10000
i:\sys\sci\vmdcache.cpp(376)

What's the best way to deal with these games that want you to use 256 colours? 😖

Cheaters always prosper!

Reply 3 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gamezmaster wrote:

Ok I have it running but it runs in a window, how can I make it go full screen?

(I know this is a common issue in alot of old Sierra windows games)

Play it in DOSBox is how. The first problem is with the Sierra movie format. There are often problems with media in Windows SCI games in XP.

There is no reason to play this game in Windows. The SCI Windows games are seriously bugged. The only ones you should ever consider playing in Windows are the Windows only games and maybe KQ6 because of the higher rez graphics. The later SCI games are rife with timer bugs and incompatibility issues with modern Windows. A DOS version in DOSBox is always the answer to both of these problems. There is almost no DOS SCI game that cannot be easily run in DOSBox, including Torin's Passage.

Reply 4 of 7, by Farley33

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i have troubles installing and playing torin's passage on my xp home edition. when i put the cd in or run the install, it tells me it's not installed and asks me if i would like to install it. I say yes and i get a "Sierre On-Line Setup" on my toolbar that I cant view and doesn't seem to do anything. I tried just running the install from the disk and it seems to work but If I try to run the game it keeps telling me its not installed and asks me if i want to install it

Reply 5 of 7, by Farley33

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i got the game to work in dosbox one night but the next day it wouldn't let me. I got a message saying "This batch file is used automatically by Torin's Passage. Please do not run it from the DOS command line." I dont think I did anything different the second time. 0.o