VOGONS


First post, by eliot_new

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Now I succeed in installing properly my Miro Hiscore 3dfx V1 into my AMD K6-3 rig.
Without any patches (neither 3dnow, nor Mini Glide or Mini OpenGL) I ran the timedemo 1, map demo1.dm2
Result on 640x480 = 9.4 fps

I understand now, why you need V2 or V3 to play fluently Q2.
But nevertheless I m satisfied with the result as this is a machine for
1. DOS & 3dfx-DOS games - must have
2.WIN games - nice to have
3. some 3dfx games - as a bonus
4. and some D3D or OpenGL games - as a ultra bonus

DOS:P166MMX,64MB,ECS,SpeaMirageV7,3dfxV1,AWE64,ESS1868,PicoGUS,32GB
W98SE:K6-3/400,256MB,P5A,Verite2200AGP,3dfxV2,M3D,AWE64,ESS1938,PicoGUS,64GB
XP:P3-1G,512MB,CUSL2C,FX5600AGP,Audigy1,80GB

Reply 1 of 2, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Voodoo1 cards are good on very early glide-titles and all dosglide-stuff. Quake1 requires a fast pentium 200mmx with voodoo1 and a tweaked resolution of 512x384 to deliver smooth frame rates. That is why I always use a better main-card with a voodoo1. I also tend to use not more than 350Mhz CPU. A very good CPU is the PII-333 which can be clocked down to 233 if you need to, but you have to have the right one.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines